Should I quit before I start? (On topic)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hello.

I applied as a seasonal PH and went thru the orientation this week. This is a small 'link' facility in a rural area with one belt. Evening shift 6ish to whenever, $10/hr. I'm early 40s in reasonable shape (25 pushups range/170lbs) but not young anymore.

A few younger guys showed up for the initial tour, but I was the only one to show up for orientation. Not a good sign I reckon.

My commute would be around 50 miles/day 250/week, and the union initiation dues are $600. I can't recall if those come out of the very first paychecks or only if I stayed on after January. But if they come from my seasonal employee pay at $45/week, on top of $25/week or so for gas.. that would be $6/hr to bust my tuckus assuming 17.5 hours work per week. Can anyone tell me if the $600 initiation comes out of seasonals' first checks?

As well I have heard that turnover at small facilities is very little and it's unlikely I'd be offered a permanent position anytime soon, if ever. I don't need the money. Without getting the benefits, I'm starting to feel like it would be pretty silly to even start the job.

I'd really feel like a jerk though, were I to call in and disappoint the nice lady who helped me get signed on. Then again she's probably seen thousands come and go, and I gotta do what's right for me. Supposed to start monday evening, but I'm on the fence about whether I should call in to say "not gonna work" monday morn. Afraid I'd hate the work, but not sure I wouldn't enjoy it either. But at $6/hr net?

Any advice would be most welcome and thanks for your time.

davidix

$600 initiation fee is a joke. Are you kidding me? Plus it's a long commute. Yeah that's not worth it. All the part time ups jobs are garbage and only worth it if you have the time to spare to get your foot in the door. Or if you can financially get through it until you get a ft gig.

In your case I wouldn't even waste the time.

googabee

Okay folks, thanks a lot. Think I know what I gotta do. Just wish I blew off the orientation like the other fellas did, but felt I should give a shot.

Happy holidays and thanks for the hard work. I love getting packages delivered. I always have!

googabee

OP,
My pizza guy tells me he can make $100 in tips on a good night.

No baloney, I was thinking the same thing earlier. I don't know how they fill these positions at all. Even if I were desperate for cash... collecting cans would be a better deal. And yes, teamsters here take $600.. $45/check then regular dues.

Indecisi0n

Hello.

I applied as a seasonal PH and went thru the orientation this week. This is a small 'link' facility in a rural area with one belt. Evening shift 6ish to whenever, $10/hr. I'm early 40s in reasonable shape (25 pushups range/170lbs) but not young anymore.

A few younger guys showed up for the initial tour, but I was the only one to show up for orientation. Not a good sign I reckon.

My commute would be around 50 miles/day 250/week, and the union initiation dues are $600. I can't recall if those come out of the very first paychecks or only if I stayed on after January. But if they come from my seasonal employee pay at $45/week, on top of $25/week or so for gas.. that would be $6/hr to bust my tuckus assuming 17.5 hours work per week. Can anyone tell me if the $600 initiation comes out of seasonals' first checks?

As well I have heard that turnover at small facilities is very little and it's unlikely I'd be offered a permanent position anytime soon, if ever. I don't need the money. Without getting the benefits, I'm starting to feel like it would be pretty silly to even start the job.

I'd really feel like a jerk though, were I to call in and disappoint the nice lady who helped me get signed on. Then again she's probably seen thousands come and go, and I gotta do what's right for me. Supposed to start monday evening, but I'm on the fence about whether I should call in to say "not gonna work" monday morn. Afraid I'd hate the work, but not sure I wouldn't enjoy it either. But at $6/hr net?

40@ 170, where do you hold most of your weight? Might be ok.

Tick Toc

Hello.

I can relate to your situation:. I started in Feb @11/hr in preload. My commute everyday is about 45-50minutes each way (42 miles each way). Waking up at 2am every day sucked, but being done every day at 9am provided me with some free time to tie up some loose ends in my life. My initial union dues were $500 (taken out slowly each week for the first few months).

My goal was to get driving for UPS as soon as possible, and I was able to achieve that goal quicker than I even expected.

My point is if you are able to stick it out and work hard towards better wages, then it might be worth it. Otherwise. . .don't waste yours or anyone elses time.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Hello.

Yes nobody cares about all your details It's called life for a reason