Should I swicth?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't disagree with you -- but it's easier said than done. Like I said, because of the higher wage, most drivers have one or more persons who they'd like to be their helper. They view helpers as social partners and get p'd when they're partnered with somebody else, regardless of how good they are. (And FWIW, there are several drivers I always work with but none get helpers until after T-giving, so the issue is always the limited number of helpers used in November).

I've discussed this with my BA. He has told me I'm welcome to file, but pointed out that most drivers will get p'd if they can't work with their friends/kids/etc. and I'll look like the bad guy. He's told me to pick his battles... and unfortunately he's right.
You must work in a small building....no one gets to pick their own helpers here. Drivers can help get a friend/kid a job...but there's no guarantee what center that helper will be assigned to or which drivers he'll be sent out with. Many drivers I know...if they have to get stuck with a helper...would rather a preloader who they know can handle it and not slow them down all day.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You must work in a small building....no one gets to pick their own helpers here. Drivers can help get a friend/kid a job...but there's no guarantee what center that helper will be assigned to or which drivers he'll be sent out with. Many drivers I know...if they have to get stuck with a helper...would rather a preloader who they know can handle it and not slow them down all day.

I work in a very large building... 3 centers, 350 drivers climbing to as many as 500 during peak. You're only allowed to jump out of one center.

Drivers who have a preferred helper complete a form. Traditionally, these assignments would not begin until after Thanksgiving, and they'd give the drivers their preferred helper no questions asked. Before the holiday, as well as after Xmas, they'd use a list available insiders sign to fill the limited available work. Since the recession, they've retorted to cutting routes beginning Nov. 1 and using helpers like crazy. Thus now drivers are paired with their preferred helpers beginning Nov. 1 and concluding in mid-January.

I'm sure the reason they do this is to a) appease the driver and b) cut the work required of management, since calling PTers and pairing them with work is time consuming. Like I said, if I were to file a grievance on it it'd pee off both the drivers as well as management (target on my back...) so kinda helpless situation.

I was paired with a driver last November... he wanted his 18-year-old son to help him, but his son blew off helper orientation. My building's next orientation was in two weeks, but they gave his son the opportunity to attend one at another building about 30 miles away later in the week, but again, he blew it off. All the driver could do is ***** and whine that this was ridiculous, orientation was stupid, he's been doing this job for X years, he could teach his son more than orientation could, blah blah blah. He ran way over one day -- no doubt because he kept calling his son (while idle...literally, several calls per hour), motivating him to show up to that other orientation -- but guess who's fault he felt it was?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I work in a very large building... 3 centers, 350 drivers climbing to as many as 500 during peak. You're only allowed to jump out of one center.

Drivers who have a preferred helper complete a form. Traditionally, these assignments would not begin until after Thanksgiving, and they'd give the drivers their preferred helper no questions asked. Before the holiday, as well as after Xmas, they'd use a list available insiders sign to fill the limited available work. Since the recession, they've retorted to cutting routes beginning Nov. 1 and using helpers like crazy. Thus now drivers are paired with their preferred helpers beginning Nov. 1 and concluding in mid-January.

I'm sure the reason they do this is to a) appease the driver and b) cut the work required of management, since calling PTers and pairing them with work is time consuming. Like I said, if I were to file a grievance on it it'd pee off both the drivers as well as management (target on my back...) so kinda helpless situation.

I was paired with a driver last November... he wanted his 18-year-old son to help him, but his son blew off helper orientation. My building's next orientation was in two weeks, but they gave his son the opportunity to attend one at another building about 30 miles away later in the week, but again, he blew it off. All the driver could do is ***** and whine that this was ridiculous, orientation was stupid, he's been doing this job for X years, he could teach his son more than orientation could, blah blah blah. He ran way over one day -- no doubt because he kept calling his son (while idle...literally, several calls per hour), motivating him to show up to that other orientation -- but guess who's fault he felt it was?
I was just talking about this last week with a bunch of drivers in my center..the terrible helpers stories...lol. Do you jump in the same center you load in?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
where the hell are all of you from that driver helpers get $15/hr?

Helping wage in Central States = 80% of the starting driving wage = $15.

On another forum, some off-the-street helpers in NYC reported earning $16 last year.

I was just talking about this last week with a bunch of drivers in my center..the terrible helpers stories...lol. Do you jump in the same center you load in?

I work mostly in the input but agree to help load when needed -- nearly always in a different spot across all three centers.

We hear the helper horror stories too but typically it's the driver's own doing. For example, one driver arranged for a striper to be his helper (no joke). He's got one of the easiest routes in the building... mostly office towers, virtually no residentials -> he gets a helper because he's a bonus driver and UPS can't have that. Thus, it's no surprise he'd go for eye candy. But she was frequently late / no show, worried about her nails, etc. Shocking!

Another driver was having problems with her helper... who was her son. Her son weighs over 300 lbs. and had trouble fitting into his seat (she's less than a 100 lbs. so quite a shocker) and his sole physical activity is getting up from the gaming chair to the refrigerator, so again, shocking!