Should the Union be FT only?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I believe it was negotiated in the 60's with the agreement that PT would make the same wages as FT. The Teamsters doubled and tripled the number of Union members paying Union dues every month.
Sounds similar to the bastardization of 22.3 FT jobs in this area, 8 hours hub work for a lower rate was not what was intended but that's how you get hundreds of 22.3 jobs to your hub rather than other areas.

Nimnim

The Nim
Hmm, crazy proposal here, but pters start at $10, but after 5 years they top out to the same rate as a 22.3, same work but less hours, why not same pay. No Ot until 8 though while keeping the 3.5 guarantee and they don't get a ft pension like 22.3. Vaca/option/sick whatever hours are "half" the 22.3 still as well.

PC and Feeder drivers have a different skillset and responsibility so they get their higher wages no argument.

I don't really see many agreeing with this, but it's food for thought.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Sounds similar to the bastardization of 22.3 FT jobs in this area, 8 hours hub work for a lower rate was not what was intended but that's how you get hundreds of 22.3 jobs to your hub rather than other areas.

What ?

That's exactly what a 22.3 job is.

An inside combination (of 2 part-time jobs) at a lower rate of pay.

Even an original 22.2 job.... still pays $1.69 less.... per hour.

-Bug-

brown_trousers

Hmm, crazy proposal here, but pters start at $10, but after 5 years they top out to the same rate as a 22.3, same work but less hours, why not same pay. No Ot until 8 though while keeping the 3.5 guarantee and they don't get a ft pension like 22.3. Vaca/option/sick whatever hours are "half" the 22.3 still as well.

PC and Feeder drivers have a different skillset and responsibility so they get their higher wages no argument.

I don't really see many agreeing with this, but it's food for thought.
Taking it a step further. Just classify all PT workers as FT workers, or contractually speaking "less than 8 hr full time worker" so they all use the same pay progressions, vacation accrual, etc as us full timers.

clean hairy

I never understood the reason for part timers to recieve the same pay as a ft inside worker. It’s literally the same job. Also not to sound like a dick the real problem is the fact ft inside workers make $29.60 with no degree or even have a requirement to have a license $25 is honestly decent enough. And just pay pt the same rate with half the hrs
Hmmmm....
Same words a recent retiree from NY was saying, that 25 per hour was more than enough.....
Could it be him, or a clone of him? Nah!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
One of the things I agree with Adam Conover about is the pointlessness of differentiating between generations.

When I looked up the year range for gen x, millenials, and the now defunct gen y, I literally didn't fit into any of them. I guess that makes me without a generation. These designations are absurdly arbitrary.

Last edited:

Shift 2

Hmmmm....
Same words a recent retiree from NY was saying, that 25 per hour was more than enough.....
Could it be him, or a clone of him? Nah!
Obviously areas like NY and CAL need more but if ur in the south a job where all you need is a high school diploma and averag strenght $25 is enough