Should UPS Officially Sponsor Discussion Forum

UPS Lifer

I am curious to see how many folks out there feel that using this style of communication would be a beneficial tool for UPS to gage the work conditionsl and climate rather than using the traditional poll that takes place in Fall.

Please assume for argument sake that this forum could be kept confidential accessed only through UPSers.com but similar to the likes of the Brown Cafe.

The difference could be that an "Official" site could sort threads on a local-regional-corporate level based on the type of discussion and feed back the information to those that can spark changes to occur.

Bottom Line - do you feel this is a good tool to enhance communication - understanding and change?

dillweed

I don't feel it's a good idea. No one would trust the confidentiality deal and UPS doesn't care what we think anyway.

The survey makes it look as if they care but I feel it's just a prop. dw

UPS Lifer

I don't feel it's a good idea. No one would trust the confidentiality deal and UPS doesn't care what we think anyway.

The survey makes it look as if they care but I feel it's just a prop. dw

I was trying to set up a poll but it timed out on me!
These were the choices I was going to use in the Poll.
A. Yes - assuming confidentiality
B. Yes - Besides confidentiality- UPS would act on the issues
C. No - We have Brown Cafe -
D. I Care - but don't think UPS will do anything with it anyway

thanks for your response!

Channahon

All Corporate has to do is read the comments section of the ERI.

Combined with ERI scores by district, job categories, they know what is going on.

Poll vote - C

UPS Lifer

All Corporate has to do is read the comments section of the ERI.

Combined with ERI scores by district, job categories, they know what is going on.

Poll vote - C

I tend to agree with you about the ERI comments section. However you really never know if what you said struck a nerve.... that can send a perception that no one is listening or reacting. It is a catch 22. If you want to remain anonymous I guess that is the price you pay. The nice thing about this forum is you can say something and get immediate feedback and still remain anonymous if you prefer.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
D, I think if they cared, they would come here, and read. If I had power from the ivory tower I would come here to get the pulse of the people. If I cared.

Anything sponsored by UPS would not get the honest responses they could get as they do here. It would either be, a brown noser, or radical, thats just my honest opinion.

DS

Fenderbender
I am curious to see how many folks out there feel that using this style of communication would be a beneficial tool for UPS to gage the work conditionsl and climate rather than using the traditional poll that takes place in Fall.

Please assume for argument sake that this forum could be kept confidential accessed only through UPSers.com but similar to the likes of the Brown Cafe.

The difference could be that an "Official" site could sort threads on a local-regional-corporate level based on the type of discussion and feed back the information to those that can spark changes to occur.
If they already know what we think,then why bother?
I don't think that the confidentiality would be adhered to
because they'd know your IP number if they were so inclined
and this would be an ideal way to get rid of the radicals,
rabble rousers,and rule breakers.They would learn nothing
new that wasn't already said in the comments section
or the ERI. UPS needs a huge makeover.One supervisor
fixing one problem in one center is useless because they
move him and the new guy always has his own idea of
how things will be done from now on.So the cycle goes
on forever two steps forward,three steps back.Too much
money going to supervisors who report to center managers that report to district managers that report to regional....
you get the idea...who needs them?Put the money into
operations and let the drivers run preload,dispatch,and
training.I promise the drivers, and the customers, and the corporate dudes,will be much happier .JMHO DS
corporate dudes with thier starched white shirts,will

Bottom Line - do you feel this is a good tool to enhance communication - understanding and change?

71chevy

As was said in most of the post , UPS doesn't care what we think. You do it their way or they will replace you. Why do you think they need to know what I think about whats going on at Brown. Their focus is on the bottom line, not the bottom of the ladder.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think we all come here to vent in our own ways. Yes we disagree on some issues, but we agree to disagree. I think if this was a company sponsored forum alot of us would stop coming. It would be to much like work, and on here now its were we can get different points of views to see why someone does it one way while another would do it this way. If ups wants to see whats going on they can come see it here!

DS

Fenderbender
If ups wants to see whats going on they can come see it here!
They do red...just recently someone posted a poll
meant for ups management and they contacted
Cheryl and advised her to remove it.They did not
tell her to cease and desist...they like this site.
I believe they had to redo the whole thing to get
true results because anyone could take it.
They already know the problems they have,they just havent been able to fix them.
I say too many suits.

tieguy

Banned
No because Big Brother doesn't care what we think.....Right Tie?!?!

I would not be surprised to find out that we have folks in corporate who regularly scan this site.

I don't think I was the one that told you big brother does not care what you think. Like anything else I think they like to take your feedback and measure it somehow. Thus the ERI.

B

BullDawg69

I agree , can't wait for the day the whole company goes casual.:thumbup1:
............There is always the yearly TLA & management Focus Group meetings for honest & accurate feedback !!!!!!!......Semper Fi !!!!

UPS Lifer

Here's a senario for you. UPS buys this site from Cheryl and finds out who all us dorks really are. (Or hosers for those in Canada)

Nice thought...but (it is my opinion) Cheryl won't let that happen. The other concern UPS might have is the liability that it would carry all the "baggage" or history that this site has. In no way am I trying to be negative on the baggage thing. This is just a fact.

I do believe that those who really care about UPS value everyone's opinion and would not look for revenge.

I believe in KARMA. I believe that you reap what you sow. Those that look to rid people with a different opinion then them will get what they deserve in the long run. I have seen this time and time again at UPS.

Pip

Lets throw a different spin on this for a minute.

How does any of us know that there already hasn't been specific questions and topics posted in the past with a corporate interest in mind? Nobody would be the wiser.

IE: The corporate head of HR could easily be posting from the main office to get a feel of whats important from new hires. OR The head of the contract negotiating team could easily be participating on some of the discussions about the contract talks to get a better feel of what might be something good for the contract. While the 2 examples are hypothetical, you could easily throw in your "what if".

If I was Mike Eskew, I wouldn't come in announcing... I'm Mike Eskew I have a question I would like to throw at you to get your feedback. You know full well that things would get out of hand from the start. He would be hearing everything except what kind of feedback he was looking for.

Another thing to keep in mind, is while the "Brown Cafe" has really grown from where it started out from. The participants who read and post here still only makeup a small percentage of the overall employee base. How many people does UPS employ? 400,000+ worldwide?(correct me on that figure if I am way off). Think I seen somewhere on here recently that there are like 9500+ registered posters, You could maybe double that on people that just drop in to look around and browse that have never posted.(Again, my numbers are probably way off, only guessing)

I think it would be reasonable to say that the likehood that Corp. UPS has frequented the site.To what extent is anybody's guess. I think if I was in a leading position down in Atlanta, I would want to take advantage of all possible avenues to get a feel from my employee base., That might very well include monitoring this site.

Sponsoring the site really wouldn't be neccessary.

hoser

Industrial Slob
they'd be better off sponsoring speedskaters. i don';t know why the hell they would want to sponsor this forum. what's the return on investment? next to nil.