Should you lose your seniority?

anHOURover

It's different all over.

Even Locals within the same Region, can have different seniority practices.

That's what Local Union autonomy is all about.

But I gotta say.... yours is almost debilitating, as far as movement. Like a penalty.

-Bug-
Hey bUG get to work slug.... See you in Vegas rooster

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In local 177, you can not bid out side of your classification. So in order to work out side of your classification you have to transfer to the classification you wish to work in. When doing so you lose your center seniority(for bidding on jobs). Do you think that is right?
Yes.
It keeps a 30 year part-timer from bidding into a friend/T job and picking the best vacations.
Earn your bennies.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Biggest issue I have with PT/FT seniority dates is that it lets a 6-for-1 outside hire PT sup with less overall time bid ahead of a PT'er that "paid their dues" to go FT.

It's one thing for a PT'er to pass on a FT bid and then end up at the bottom of the FT seniority list, it's another for a PT sup (who might not have even been with the company that long) to get to bid ahead of someone that put in their time.

It seems to be a mixed bag. Some will say you should lose it and some say keep it. The crazy part is in the past labor cases based on seniority, seniority prevails and can not be voted on. You earn it by putting in the time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In the Central Region;

Bidding from PT to FT.... the number of vacation weeks is all you keep.

You would still bid in order of FT seniority.

-Bug-

Monkey Butt meant that if you keep your PT hire date as your seniority date when going FT.

No, it is not that way now, but if it was, a 30 year PT employee could bid a FT job and go pretty much to the top of the FT seniority list.

I believe it should be this way. Under the 6 for 1, a 10 year PT employee could have an off the street hire ahead of him in FT seniority.

Why? The PT employee put his time in, 10 years. The guy off the street just got hired. In this case, the 10 years of time served means nothing, except for the number of vacations.

BlackCoffee

What does a bid mean exactly?

Also, let's say a p/t sorter wanted to go friend/t article 22.3 (same building)

or

from p/t sorter to friend/t air (different building)

What is the difference in regards to bidding and seniority?

upschuck

or

Bidding is placing your name on a list for a particular job that is posted, seniority determines who wins that bid. You can only bid when a job is available and posted.

BlackCoffee

or

Bidding is placing your name on a list for a particular job that is posted, seniority determines who wins that bid. You can only bid when a job is available and posted.

Thanks.

What about this?

or

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Rather than "postulate" about various scenarios....

Ask a specific question, pertaining to your Local Area and the Master Agreement.

Links to (Local) contact language, would be helpful.

-Bug-

mike1646

In our local is the same way, change classification lose center seniority.
When I went to feeders started from the bottom all over again.

In our local is the same way, change classification lose center seniority.
When I went to feeders started from the bottom all over again.
In my building you keep your seniority for life. Off the street Feeder drivers don't like it because almost every time a Package Car driver bids into Feeders they get knocked down again.