Nazzrath

So my center management posted a sign up sheet at our turn in counter. It reads something like this 'We're trying to get drivers off the road by 5:15pm on Xmas eve. You will be paid for 'time worked' (approx 7.2hrs). If you want to work 8 hours, sign below.' It seems to me they're side stepping our contract which guarantees us 8 hours paid. Are they in violation of our contract?

friend̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶T̶u̶r̶k̶e̶y
G̶r̶o̶c̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶G̶i̶friend̶t̶ ̶C̶e̶r̶t̶i̶friend̶i̶c̶a̶t̶e̶
friend̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶
BAH HUMBUG

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sounds like they want to try and send folks out with less than 8 hours plans so everyone can get home early on xmas eve.
Go ahead and grieve it though maybe you can get them to cut routes, lay off the junior drivers, and send everyone else out with one last 12 hour day.
You just can't do some people a favor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How are they violating the contract? They are asking drivers if they want their guarantee or if they want to work Code 05. If you want your 8 then sign the list---if you want to get home to your families then don't sign the list. I'm sure that they are tired and also want to get home to their families.

How many of you are planning on taking the 26th off and/or working on the 31st? I am taking the 26th off (they are only running 12 routes) and working the 31st (easy money). Yes, the 26th would be a "dead day" but I need a break and can make up part of that money on the 31st.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How are they violating the contract? They are asking drivers if they want their guarantee or if they want to work Code 05. If you want your 8 then sign the list---if you want to get home to your families then don't sign the list. I'm sure that they are tired and also want to get home to their families.

How many of you are planning on taking the 26th off and/or working on the 31st? I am taking the 26th off (they are only running 12 routes) and working the 31st (easy money). Yes, the 26th would be a "dead day" but I need a break and can make up part of that money on the 31st.

You old guys and your dead days. I have to use an optional day to try and get the 26th off. Denied so far.

packageguy

So my center management posted a sign up sheet at our turn in counter. It reads something like this 'We're trying to get drivers off the road by 5:15pm on Xmas eve. You will be paid for 'time worked' (approx 7.2hrs). If you want to work 8 hours, sign below.' It seems to me they're side stepping our contract which guarantees us 8 hours paid. Are they in violation of our contract?

friend̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶T̶u̶r̶k̶e̶y
G̶r̶o̶c̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶G̶i̶friend̶t̶ ̶C̶e̶r̶t̶i̶friend̶i̶c̶a̶t̶e̶
friend̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶
BAH HUMBUG

It's called code 5, hours worked, Go home and enjoy your family

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sounds like they want to try and send folks out with less than 8 hours plans so everyone can get home early on xmas eve.
Go ahead and grieve it though maybe you can get them to cut routes, lay off the junior drivers, and send everyone else out with one last 12 hour day.
You just can't do some people a favor.

Up until about 15 years ago, management kept all routes in and helpers on for Christmas Eve. Then some dork in another center in the local complained about not getting his eight hours. I still wish I knew who he was.:angry:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....I am taking the 26th off (they are only running 12 routes) and working the 31st (easy money). Yes, the 26th would be a "dead day" but I need a break and can make up part of that money on the 31st.

Yet here, in the bubble-of-not-quite-goodness, I (senior driver in the building and definitely an old guy) am the only driver guaranteed the day off.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Up until about 15 years ago, management kept all routes in and helpers on for Christmas Eve. Then some dork in another center in the local complained about not getting his eight hours. I still wish I knew who he was.:angry:

If you really think one guy is/was the reason does anything, then you've been sold a bill of goods. UPS will ALWAYS do what is best for them, not because they lost a grievance. Our whole contract is proof of that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you really think one guy is/was the reason does anything, then you've been sold a bill of goods. UPS will ALWAYS do what is best for them, not because they lost a grievance. Our whole contract is proof of that.

No, nobody in our local complained about code 5 on Christmas Eve until this guy bitched. Everybody wanted a piece of his a:censored2::censored2:.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

UPS could not care less as long as cost is contained.
Local management is trying to do something that is desired by all employees (management and Union).
One jerk screwed it up for everybody.
Sometimes it can be a win-win situation.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I will still have my helper on 12/24 but most certainly will not be working 8 hours. At least I hope not.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

You had guaranteed pay on your last paycheck during peak and you still need a break? :happy-very:

They beat you up all year and they want to screw you out of 45 minutes of pay!!!!Tell them you want 8 hours if they give you a hard time CALL 1800-SICKDAY...Thats always good for 8hrs. pay