Skipping seniority and hiring FT off steets

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What about the 6:1 hire ratio? Does that not apply when there's people waiting to go full time? Someone told me that that's the reason a new hire was able to go full time and skip everyone else.

The 6 for 1 applies whether there is PTers waiting or not.

If the last 6 hired were from the inside, then yes, they can hire from the street and bypass the ten year PTer waiting to go FT.

While it may not seem fair, that is what the contract says.

They can hire more than 1 from the street as long as they have maintained the 6 for 1 by the end of the contract in 2018.

Most places will stick fairly close to the 6 for 1 as time goes by to guarantee that the ratio has been met during the life of the contract.

The next 6 will most likely come from the inside.

The 6 for 1 applies whether there is PTers waiting or not.

If the last 6 hired were from the inside, then yes, they can hire from the street and bypass the ten year PTer waiting to go FT.

While it may not seem fair, that is what the contract says.

They can hire more than 1 from the street as long as they have maintained the 6 for 1 by the end of the contract in 2018.

Most places will stick fairly close to the 6 for 1 as time goes by to guarantee that the ratio has been met during the life of the contract.

The next 6 will most likely come from the inside.
Maybe that explains all the new hires last year. A lot were only PT for a couple months. Now they are all laid off for the last 5 months. With all the route cutting with ORION I can't believe they will keep all of them. Already several have left because of the lack of work. They bump into the sort but with the cut in pay and terrible hours and being reduced to "PT work" some quit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I haven't took the road test yet i volunteer that Saturday so i could ride around the building i was by myself

You can't just come in and drive around the building with out a management person with you. Someone got burned over that and you are paying the price.

PT is right-----there is no way that they would let you come in a drive around the parking lot without a mgt person with you.

Was the route given to him a training route?

You say UPS gave him a route. Is the route permanently his or is he just covering the route because of short or long term disability by the bid driver? I have seen young guys running routes for years because the bid driver was off and the route could not be bid until the driver either retired or came back.

It was a full route, non-training. The route has been open for the past year, the driver who bid it the year before ended up going management so the route was being done by a PT cover every day. After peak the new driver was hired as a FT driver, the funny thing is, it was the last thing that our head of operations did before he left our building.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
They can and do hire FT drivers off the street as long as they stock to the 6 to 1 ratio as far as awarding them a permanent rote without it being put up for bid that is a clear violation of the contract you need to grieve that asap

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Unsafe to drive. Maybe. Yeah UPS uses the driving test to weed out potential undesirable FT employees. Seniority isn't everything.
True. When I took my road test the on-car told me that my full time sup in the sort aisle said good things about me when he asked. Shows they look into someone before they let them come outside.