So I say to myself, "Self" its TIME! Let that CDL go! Drivers license renewal.

Shiftless

I have heard its more than just California but I don't know? Is your state doing this federally mandated DL program?

If you respond make sure you let us know which state you are in?

Cant remember the last time I went to a DMV for a drivers license renewal?? Always comes in the mail.

But this time is different. I am over 60! I knew it was coming that I would have to go in and possibly do a small knowledge test and eye test. On my form to appear at a DMV it stated I only had to pay and get my picture taken. No biggeee just had my yearly physical and eye exam. Altho the eye Dr. said, you may now not pass the DMV eye chart, its gonna be close! Yup I passed! Yee HA!

So here is the deal ! California has been implementing a new DL that is called Real ID Drivers License to meet the new Federal Requirements of Oct. 1st 2020. If you dont have this type ID you cant fly after 10-1-2020 with your non-compliant DL domestically or enter Secure Federal Facilities or Military bases unless you use your Passport.

As a side note I tell the gal I want to give up my CDL! She looks at me funny and says "You Sure?" POSITIVE! Been retired 13 years haven't touched a truck where I have needed the license so its TIME TO GO'! So shes says OK with another "You Sure" attached? Yes mam I am. for those in the know that means .04 to .08! She than says to get rid of your CDL I will have to take the general knowledge test! WTF! I said if that is the case I will keep it then! So she passes me off to the next available DMV'er. He says Nah! Just sign here, go back and she will take your picture and your done! All said, in, and done 1.5 hours time!

I talked to 2 people from the big city that came to this DMV because the wait is 5 hours long in the LA and Orange county areas?? PHOOOOOOTA!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
I have heard its more than just California but I don't know? Is your state doing this federally mandated DL program?

Cant remember the last time I went to a DMV for a drivers license renewal?? Always comes in the mail.

But this time is different. I am over 60! I knew it was coming that I would have to go in and possibly do a small knowledge test and eye test. On my form to appear at a DMV it stated I only had to pay and get my picture taken. No biggeee just had my yearly physical and eye exam. Altho the eye Dr. said, you may now not pass the DMV eye chart, its gonna be close! Yup I passed! Yee HA!

So here is the deal ! California has been implementing a new DL that is called Real ID Drivers License to meet the new Federal Requirements of Oct. 1st 2020. If you dont have this type ID you cant fly after 10-1-2020 with your non-compliant DL domestically or enter Secure Federal Facilities or Military bases unless you use your Passport.

As a side note I tell the gal I want to give up my CDL! She looks at me funny and says "You Sure?" POSITIVE! Been retired 13 years haven't touched a truck where I have needed the license so its TIME TO GO'! So shes says OK with another "You Sure" attached? Yes mam I am. for those in the know that means .04 to .08! She than says to get rid of your CDL I will have to take the general knowledge test! WTF! I said if that is the case I will keep it then! So she passes me off to the next available DMV'er. He says Nah! Just sign here, go back and she will take your picture and your done! All said, in, and done 1.5 hours time!

I talked to 2 people from the big city that came to this DMV because the wait is 5 hours long in the LA and Orange county areas?? PHOOOOOOTA!
Menu
Teamsters
North America's Strongest Union
Southern California Teamsters Ratify New Miller Beer Contract

JULY 17, 2018
millersignweb.jpg

By Ratifying New 3-year Agreement, Strike Averted

With a 172-9 ‘Yes’ vote, workers at the Miller Brewery in Irwindale, California ratified their newest Teamsters contract. “Our members are pleased,” said Phil Cooper, Principal Officer and Secretary- Treasurer of Local 896. “The way the contract was negotiated they won’t have to pay anything for their medical costs, and that is something that we are really happy with.”

Full medical coverage, pension increases, steady wage increases and a bonus have all been included in this contract at no cost to workers, a sticking point for the workers, one that they didn’t back down from.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Menu
Teamsters

JULY 17, 2018
millersignweb.jpg

With a 172-9 ‘Yes’ vote, workers at the Miller Brewery in Irwindale, California ratified their newest Teamsters contract. “Our members are pleased,” said Phil Cooper, Principal Officer and Secretary- Treasurer of Local 896. “The way the contract was negotiated they won’t have to pay anything for their medical costs, and that is something that we are really happy with.”

Full medical coverage, pension increases, steady wage increases and a bonus have all been included in this contract at no cost to workers, a sticking point for the workers, one that they didn’t back down from.

STFU

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Menu
Teamsters

JULY 17, 2018
millersignweb.jpg

Wtf does this have to do with anything. You robot :censored2:.

Go :censored2: yourself.

STFU

badpal

They doing that real id most places. i took the birth certificate i got 60 years ago in and they say thats no good, I would need a state issued one that would cost 30 bucks, so i just got the non compliant DL, aint nobody i want to visit in federal prison anyway.

Shiftless

The first time I renewed my license after retirement, I dropped my CDL and endorsements. Haven't looked back.

I was so young at the time I retired I thought WHO KNOWS? I might use it some more! But never climbed in a rig since the day I climbed down and punched out for the last time. Most of the guys I knew retired at a much later age and dropped it the first renewal also.

I had a different result. I retired in 2015, lost my CDL and went to the DMV for a replacement license and was told I needed a new medical card for the CDL replacement. I said that I will just have a Class C license then and like you was told I must take the written test. I passed and walked out with a new Class C license in under ! hour in a North L A county DMV office.

rod

Retired 22 years
In Mn. you have to renew at the DMV every 4 years. Just an eye test, fill out a form and pay the fee. I gave up my CDL years ago when they jacked the price WAY up and lowered the BAC limit to .04. I never did need it but when I got it all it involved was taking a separate paper test and paying a couple of dollars more--no actual driving. I know a few retired drivers who kept theirs. They say it comes in handy if you are looking for a few quick bucks. Someone is always looking for a qualified driver with a CDL for a week or 2. Especially if you are willing to cross into Canada.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Renewed my CA CDL a couple years ago. Had to bring in my birth certificate and that's it. Took new picture and good to go.

like you, been retired 3 years and have no intention of ever driving a commercial vehicle again. but never say never so keeping it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Nope. Gave it up at last renewal.

Ain't drove nuttin since retired, cept hot rods and don't intend to.

Don't want nor need no extra bucks.
the way the rules are with the teamster pension and social security and the IRS , it's not worth working over the table.

twoweeled

LOL! Funny, but I expereinced the same thing at DMV. Clerk ask me, "are you sure you wanna give up your CDL"? "Positive?" "You may regret it". She had me thinking. What am I doing? I was just looking at the stupid law, same as you, .04 to .08. What the hell do I need the CDL for? I'm retiring, I'm not, semi retiring! Still wondering about the personal interest from the clerk about dumping the CDL. I'm sure she was just making sure I wouldn't regret it, but why?
I didn't encounter the additional test or anything else. It just disappeared!

twoweeled

They doing that real id most places. i took the birth certificate i got 60 years ago in and they say thats no good, I would need a state issued one that would cost 30 bucks, so i just got the non compliant DL, aint nobody i want to visit in federal prison anyway.
Nobody you want to visit in federal prison, as of today!! Keep that in mind. :biggrin:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
LOL! Funny, but I expereinced the same thing at DMV. Clerk ask me, "are you sure you wanna give up your CDL"? "Positive?" "You may regret it". She had me thinking. What am I doing? I was just looking at the stupid law, same as you, .04 to .08. What the hell do I need the CDL for? I'm retiring, I'm not, semi retiring! Still wondering about the personal interest from the clerk about dumping the CDL. I'm sure she was just making sure I wouldn't regret it, but why?
I didn't encounter the additional test or anything else. It just disappeared!
There were probably drivers coming in a couple years after they gave up their CDL's with sob stories of divorce or financial problems or had to go back to work for other reasons that regretted their decision.

It's a lot easier keeping it than getting it back.

I gave up mine not because of the cost but the hassle. The physical . maybe the extra testing. not sure if that is necessary in Cali. But anyway , Have no desire to ever drive again. Heck , we drove 35 miles to go to Costco yesterday and I couldn't stand the drive. Couldn't wait to get home and relax with a Corona.

twoweeled

There were probably drivers coming in a couple years after they gave up their CDL's with sob stories of divorce or financial problems or had to go back to work for other reasons that regretted their decision.

It's a lot easier keeping it than getting it back.

I gave up mine not because of the cost but the hassle. The physical . maybe the extra testing. not sure if that is necessary in Cali. But anyway , Have no desire to ever drive again. Heck , we drove 35 miles to go to Costco yesterday and I couldn't stand the drive. Couldn't wait to get home and relax with a Corona.
It's telling how much I dislike driving now. Not that I don't miss that bouncy ride in a tractor! Biggest issue now, is keeping my weight down.

Shiftless

It's telling how much I dislike driving now. Not that I don't miss that bouncy ride in a tractor! Biggest issue now, is keeping my weight down.

I started in the late 70's in Feeder and the tractors were antiques, I think the newest was 72 Pete fat cabs, Loud as all get out, rode like do do and could hardly get out of their own way. My first was a corn binder from the early 60's aka International. No power steering, no AC, air driven wiper blades that just absolutely were junk! Mirrors that shook themselves silly, recaps that blew off all the time, there were no 28 foot H frames all were 24 and a scattering of the new 26 footers. Most had the glad hand at the bottom of the trailer so you had to get down super low to turn the valve on, dollies that were so tongue heavy they bust your balls. Not like today's world of feeder where everything is darn near new.

BUT! I made it thru , Positive attitude intact, got a pension, got medical, I'm not a broken down old dude, Have a great Family, Life is good, We travel to far away places, Play with Hot Rods and Motorcycles!

But most of all! I don't have to listen to that daily grind of drivers complaining all the time and not doing anything about their situation at work or in life other than complain!