So I work for UPS now

thebrownbox

I have no clue what I was searching but I found this site on google...

But anyways with the tiny bit of training I received I finally made my first week with the company. It's really been interesting.. first they had me sorting the mail and boxes that come in the large bags, then it was off to sort as the stuff came off the trucks, and then they had me scan a few packages but this was on my 2nd day on the job and I can tell I was annoying the sup because I was scanning at a slow rate so for the rest of the week it's been just sorting and putting the boxes on the belts.

Doing the early morning shift for the $9.50 everyone who I've talk to said don't quit (I haven't thought about that yet) Another thing is it seems I walked in right when they are going to change the contract? I'm so new I never got on the list and received a ballot in the mail. I've heard a few rumors going around about that... I also understand this job requires a lot of work I earn $10 with my other job but all I really did was walk around with a hand held PDA and maybe lift a few boxes to shelf some products, so I was feeling a bit drained on the 2nd day for the fact I was earning $.50 less then my other job but then again the other job had no health benefits.

It's (I guess) been so busy here that I still have yet to get my employee number yet and I haven't received my first check yet.

thebrownbox

And another issue that has really been on my mind is because of the death of my father I need to travel back to North Carolina to take care of some paper work but I feel because I just started (1 week in) that they wont let me leave to do anything? If anything now the state is going to start getting on my back.

thebrownbox

Ok.. lets give it to you in a nutshell.. I was thrown in the mess and I was expected to do things right off the bat that others have been doing for 2+ years.

And with the death of my father I need to take care of LEGAL papers which have been on hold for awhile, that means I need to drive myself (wow I need time off from work!!) to close accounts, go to a court to change stuff i.e.

kingOFchester

Ok.. lets give it to you in a nutshell.. I was thrown in the mess and I was expected to do things right off the bat that others have been doing for 2+ years.
As we all were.....

And with the death of my father I need to take care of LEGAL papers which have been on hold for awhile, that means I need to drive myself (wow I need time off from work!!) to close accounts, go to a court to change stuff i.e.
Sorry about your loss.
To answer your thought (??).... Do what you have to do. If you have to go....go.

thebrownbox

As we all were.....

Sorry about your loss.
To answer your thought (??).... Do what you have to do. If you have to go....go.

yeah but from what I've heard they wont allow me to take time off in this time period.. or well not until after Jan? I don't want to risk my job just because I have to take care of legal stuff which needs to be done anyways.

kingOFchester

yeah but from what I've heard they wont allow me to take time off in this time period.. or well not until after Jan? I don't want to risk my job just because I have to take care of legal stuff which needs to be done anyways.
If "legal" can wait, then let it wait.
If "legal" can't wait, then go.
I am really having trouble understanding what you expect here. If you want to know if UPS will keep you, I think that will be up to your center. You are not in the union so they aren't going to back you (not that they even would). personally I do not think they will keep you around. JMHO

thebrownbox

If "legal" can wait, then let it wait.
If "legal" can't wait, then go.
I am really having trouble understanding what you expect here. If you want to know if UPS will keep you, I think that will be up to your center. You are not in the union so they aren't going to back you (not that they even would). personally I do not think they will keep you around. JMHO

What do you mean not in the union? then what did I sign the union papers for and have union dues taken out of my paycheck for?

over9five

Staff member
I think if you talk to your management team, and tell them why you need the time off, it will be no problem.

kingOFchester

What do you mean not in the union? then what did I sign the union papers for and have union dues taken out of my paycheck for?

Did you not just write "It's (I guess) been so busy here that I still have yet to get my employee number yet and I haven't received my first check yet."

Ok....enough. I tried to help. Have fun on the net!!

LKLND3380

You were hired to do a job and UPS expects you to do that job reguardless of experience... They always throw people in with minimal or no training... Just wait until they move you into loading package cars...

LKLND3380

You were just hired? If you were hired after October 1st... YOU ARE TEMPORARY SEASONAL... There is NO GUARANTEE you will be kept beyond December 31...

Sorry about your loss... You can ask to meet with your Supervisor, Center Manager and possibly Human Resource to explain your situation. They may allow you a leave or based on how well you are doing decide it may be best for you to leave now...

LKLND3380

Temporary/Seasonal Employees hired between Oct 1 and Dec 31 are not elegible to join the Union and are EXEMPT from paying dues...

If you are asked to stay on after the holidays... Then January 2, 2007 will be your OFFICIAL hire date for Seniority and benefits... January 2 will be the start of your probationary period and after your 30 days you may then join the Union...

thebrownbox

Temporary/Seasonal Employees hired between Oct 1 and Dec 31 are not elegible to join the Union and are EXEMPT from paying dues...

If you are asked to stay on after the holidays... Then January 2, 2007 will be your OFFICIAL hire date for Seniority and benefits... January 2 will be the start of your probationary period and after your 30 days you may then join the Union...

My boss asked me if I wanted to stay past Jan. and I said yes..

I was given the union papers and signed off on them agreeing that they would be deducted from my paycheck. So I guess they plan on keeping me past the seasonal time period then. I know a friend of mine who signed up for drivers helper for seasonal never got the union paperwork.

Maybe they are going to keep it on file? I will know when i get my first paycheck next week.

thebrownbox

Did you not just write "It's (I guess) been so busy here that I still have yet to get my employee number yet and I haven't received my first check yet."

Ok....enough. I tried to help. Have fun on the net!!

I've lurked around on the site here I thought you would of been better.. but whatever, anyways they have been taking in new hires about every week do I expect them to remember anything?

I have only worked one week at the company and if you would know I receive the check next week.

Big Babooba

In our supplement If you are hired Between Oct 1 and Dec 31, you do not obtain seniority. If you are called back within 60 days after Jan 1 you get seniority and it reverts back to your original hire date. If you are hired for the vacation free period, June1 through the 2nd week of September, you do not get seniority if you are called back.

thebrownbox

So now that you all are telling me about this and the union I wonder if they are going to be taking the union dues from the pay. I might have to ask HR on Monday about that.

djbeckett

That is not true in my area! I got hired in at Oct. 9, 2001 as a permanent employee.

LKLND3380

In our supplement If you are hired Between Oct 1 and Dec 31, you do not obtain seniority. If you are called back within 60 days after Jan 1 you get seniority and it reverts back to your original hire date. If you are hired for the vacation free period, June1 through the 2nd week of September, you do not get seniority if you are called back.

This is why we need to have ONE Agreemant for all and do away with the supplements...

In the Southeast seniority DOES NOT revert back... I know this because I was seasonal and asked to stay on after peak... One of the drivers in our buldings Dad was a driver in New England and he said the senority reverted back to the start date... I asked my B.A. and was told NO...

Things would be easier if it was the same across the board...

LKLND3380

My boss asked me if I wanted to stay past Jan. and I said yes..

I was given the union papers and signed off on them agreeing that they would be deducted from my paycheck. So I guess they plan on keeping me past the seasonal time period then. I know a friend of mine who signed up for drivers helper for seasonal never got the union paperwork.

Maybe they are going to keep it on file? I will know when i get my first paycheck next week.

You have completed one week and haven't recieved your first check yet but they have already made the decision keep you on past January? Keep in mind you still have not made it past the probationary period...

Sounds like you are off to a great start and really impressing people... Just make sure you show up on time everyday you are scheduled and hang on for the ride over the next seven weeks...

Make sure you stretch/warm up before you work and stay injury free.:thumbup1: