So... I'm getting an offer

TheKid99

At the railroad as a dispatcher
Top rate is $43/hr

I really like UPS... i want to be a driver so bad im that close.

I just got my year in

but $43/hr is too much to pass up on and the railroad benefits are top notch.

I have no idea what to do this is overwhelming.

Cementups

Box Monkey
But is that job guaranteed?! Like your Union one at UPS?

It really is a tough call though. Especially if the railroad offers "normal" hours.

TheKid99

But is that job guaranteed?! Like your Union one at UPS?

It really is a tough call though. Especially if the railroad offers "normal" hours.

Not sure of the hours the rail is 24 hours so i may be doing nights.

The rail job is a union job

I think i can work around it while training to see if i like it.

I have too much experience with delivery.. i love it lol

Money doesn't mean anything if i do not like it even if im getting $43/hour

Ill start off at 80% of top rate.

Ill rather get paid $18.75 doing something i like then to make $34/hr doing something i dislike

By The Book

Looking back to where UPS was when I started to where they are today, I would take the railroad job. Looking forward with UPS I think they will always be finding ways to trim the fat......jobs! You haven't qualified yet as a full time driver, and it's no joke! I'm not sure you would have to go thru basic training for the railroad. It may not be full time from day one or top pay from day one, both jobs have that in common. My 2 cents.

TheKid99

Looking back to where UPS was when I started to where they are today, I would take the railroad job. Looking forward with UPS I think they will always be finding ways to trim the fat......jobs! You haven't qualified yet as a full time driver, and it's no joke! I'm not sure you would have to go thru basic training for the railroad. It may not be full time from day one or top pay from day one, both jobs have that in common. My 2 cents.

You think they will reduce the $36/hr after 2018? If so i may leave lol

But nope im still a pt handler and actually won a bid for a full time permanent driver but i was disqualified.

TheKid99

And ill be on the extra board for a minute if i decide to take the job.

1 week training, i think a couple of months on the job training, etc.

I hear drivers say i feel sorry for the young upsers

SaladTosser

Kill me now
I worked on the rails before I became a driver. Nights and weekends are guaranteed until you gain a lot of seniority. Work is easier and not as physically demanding. The retirement is the best around.

Driving isn't hard but it isn't easy either. Overall I'm just driving to have weekends off and the insurance is free.

Both jobs are cool so just do whatever you feel like.

By The Book

You think they will reduce the $36/hr after 2018? If so i may leave lol

But nope im still a pt handler and actually won a bid for a full time permanent driver but i was disqualified.
With access point, my choice, sure post, all forms of taking away driver work,(full time jobs).Ups will continually look to take work away from drivers. The hourly rate was not what I was referring to, however future raises are not a given., as this is written into our current contract. As far as you being disqualified once, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling they will pass you the next time around.

TheKid99

With access point, my choice, sure post, all forms of taking away driver work,(full time jobs).Ups will continually look to take work away from drivers. The hourly rate was not what I was referring to, however future raises are not a given., as this is written into our current contract. As far as you being disqualified once, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling they will pass you the next time around.

I was dq because something showed on my driving record i will be clear in two months and thanks i have to keep that in mind

By The Book

I was dq because something showed on my driving record i will be clear in two months and thanks i have to keep that in mind
You're driving record may meet the threshold of qualification, but your opportunity may be a ways down the road. This first dq may of set you back a long time, with the 6 to 1 hiring ratio.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
My buddy was an Air Traffic Controller and made the jump to railroad dispatch, said it's the best decision he's ever made. The hours suck at first, but the pay and benefits are very good.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My buddy was an Air Traffic Controller
I used to know a lot of ARTC's. We had a bar near the airport, and a bunch of those guys were serious drinkers. A very difficult job. One of them told me you can only survive in the job if you thought about moving blips around a screen. If you stopped and thought about having 500 souls under your complete control and 1 mistake would be catastrophic, it would eat you up. I would say about 50% of those guys had heart attacks by age 45. I had a chance at a SP job out of high school, and I wish I'd have taken it now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
At the railroad as a dispatcher
Top rate is $43/hr

I really like UPS... i want to be a driver so bad im that close.

I just got my year in

but $43/hr is too much to pass up on and the railroad benefits are top notch.

I have no idea what to do this is overwhelming.
Congrats and see ya ... have a good life.

Browndriver5

How will access point and my choice eliminate jobs? Do the packages float to those locations?