So what's it really take...

bagpipes

Also, the 4-year degree, plus a good elevator pitch and successes/skills you can demonstrate, will certainly increase the odds in your favor.

Sent using BrownCafe App

aight y'all whats it take to move up. I keep hearing a four year degree in basket weaving or some other meaningless major is required. funny part is outside the center I get told its just a center manager to sign off on driving school to drive awhile as any SMART fulltime sup should do first. After that going full time is 90% center manager wanting you to, and the dm signing off and a willingness to relocate if necessary as long as you dont blow the mapp.

By the way I already know in dreamland you bust your ass, prove you worth in a variety of circumstances, and get promoted strictly by merit. I also know more sups with no or irrelevant degrees like english and philosophy than I've met with industrial engineering or business management degrees. So what does it really take?

Alight here is my 2-cents, I've been in mgt for 16 years and was a driver/part timer the other 6 years.

Listed in importance according UPS.... IMO

1. Formal Education (depends which dept your trying to get into. Some FT sups have a HS diploma, but they were good drivers, worked hard, etc.... )
2. Proximity
3. Your manager or sup has to like you for the most part or at least not dislike you. ( you can't be a dip_shat union steward making a bunch of trouble then ask to go into management after you graduate)
4. Perceived Performance
5. Gender or Race (Diversity is huge in the hiring process)
6. Actual Performance
7. Seniority

FreeAtLast13

All it takes is good old-fashioned :censored2:-kissing. You find the a$$es who can make decisions about you career and you kiss them for all you're worth. If you don't have the stomach for this, now is the time to choose a different career. The new, politically correct term for it is "networking", but don't kid yourself. It's :censored2:-kissing. Just close your eyes and pucker up. And the competition is tough. There are some really talented :censored2:-kissers you'll be competing with.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To successfully climb the corporate ladder at UPS, you must keep your feet firmly on the hands of the man below you and your nose firmly buried up the ass of the man above you.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
aight y'all whats it take to move up. I keep hearing a four year degree in basket weaving or some other meaningless major is required. funny part is outside the center I get told its just a center manager to sign off on driving school to drive awhile as any SMART fulltime sup should do first. After that going full time is 90% center manager wanting you to, and the dm signing off and a willingness to relocate if necessary as long as you dont blow the mapp.

By the way I already know in dreamland you bust your ass, prove you worth in a variety of circumstances, and get promoted strictly by merit. I also know more sups with no or irrelevant degrees like english and philosophy than I've met with industrial engineering or business management degrees. So what does it really take?
You ain't got the faintest idea homeboy at all in your little fantasy world. Yeah go into supervision n you'll regret it for the rest of your life. If you like being somebody's biznitcheee n having nuttz dropped on your forehead everyday then your definitely qualified n prime candidate for the job lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Lets see...pay freeze, no pension, inferior benefits, zero job security and bonuses based upon unattainable/impossible numbers. Why would anyone in their right mind take a full time operations management position in today's UPS?
All truth great post Sober:cheers:

oldngray

nowhere special
Lets see...pay freeze, no pension, inferior benefits, zero job security and bonuses based upon unattainable/impossible numbers. Why would anyone in their right mind take a full time operations management position in today's UPS?

To get a comfy chair to swivel around in?
spinning_office_chair.gif

Indecisi0n

It takes not starting a paragraph with "aight y'all whats it take to move up".