Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Tell your local to grow some balls. It is Local 344's interpretation of the contract that we cannot be forced to work except for air deliveries. There will be no full operational day in my center.

Then.... why does B.Weber always side with the company ?

He is one of yours.

-Bug-

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Yeah, right.

You're just mad because you're working for straight time instead of most of the rest of the country standing up and demanding either time and a half or double time for hours worked. I remember when the company tried to ram this down our throats at L177. We stood up for ourselves and won the language that is STILL in our supplement. Your local just plain and simple sucks UpState. Another example of how weak your local is upon many others that have been discussed on BC in the past.

Your local DOES need to grow a set!

T

Turdferguson

Only if he works exactly 8hrs on the nose. He'll get 6x pay if he works only 4hrs. 6x > 4x, so he makes more working just 4hrs instead of 8hrs, correct?
Yes that would be correct, but either way he would be bending UPS over without lube. *sigh* I wish I had had the forethought to think of that when I was picking my vacation last year

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I will be on vacation so I could give a :censored2: either way.
3045466.jpg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Then.... why does B.Weber always side with the company ?

He is one of yours.

-Bug-
Mr. Weber is a dinosaur. I get into an argument with him at just about every union meeting now. Local will be much better off when he goes out to pasture. He has been AWOL from the office much of the past few years for personal reasons.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The ability to forecast volume ? That's long gone.

I think you are giving them a little to much credit. :biggrin:

You are correct on the language.

But, that doesn't waive the 6-hr "show up" guarantee....

If you are scheduled, the preceding friday.

-Bug-
No it does not. But if UPS believes that 1/4 or 1/2 or whatever percentage of their pickup accounts will be closed that day, and that they will be extremely "light," they will just schedule the bottom 10% "on call" for the entire week. With no start time and an on call status, the bottom 10% has NO guarantees for the week.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Central Region Supplement:

Article 15 Section 1-Holidays

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following (8) named holidays-New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING DAY, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve regardless of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls, provided they comply with the qualifications set forth hereinafter.

OK that pretty much states what the Central Supplement says about the day after thanksgiving. Now tell me how they can just out of the blue say OH by the way we are all working the day after Thanksgiving now? Why is the union allowing this to take place when it is obviously stated against in our supplement?

Much of the people on here state they dont care cause of the money they will make. I differ from that. I live a good bit of miles away from my family and this was/is the ONLY holiday of which I can get away to see them! It makes me furious that some lazy turd in an office decides OH we need to work this now cause of last year. Guess what those snow storms can happen ANYTIME and derail ANY plan. OH we are in for a rude awakening in the amount of volume seen? I guess that might just depend on where you are. In the center I am in I know good and well they will plan for X amount of routes and cut more than half of them that day I guarantee it!
You did not read far enough into Article 15

Section 4

Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four
(4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be
required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union.

UPS and Hoffa agreed that this clause means that UPS can work that day, force all employees to work and they just have to pay them doubletime. I know it contradicts Section 1, but what can we do besides not come in. If it is a Holiday that the contract says we do not have to work, how can they charge us for an attendance occurrence if we do not come in?

We need to have all the ambiguity clarified in the contract. This has been going on far too long where the contract is "interpreted" because the language is vague.

HULKAMANIA

UPS and HOFFA agree on ALOT of things after the fact that the MEMBERS dont seem to have a say in and thats what ticks me off.

What is stupid to me is that the majority of the volume they are talking about comes the days following Thanksgiving. Black Friday isnt until AFTER Thanksgiving. Cyber Monday is the Monday FOLLOWING Thanksgiving weekend. So tell me why the volume is going to be SOOOOOOO heavy? If history is ANY indication people DO NOT order in a timely fashion. They wait until the last minute! In my area that ONE day of running isnt going to make a dent in anything.

The weather and amazon created an emergency last year and it got forced into being OUR emergency this year. I dont agree with that.

We lose the Day after Thanksgiving and we can kiss it goodbye from now on.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes toy still get an extra day pay.
But now they are going to run ground.

They always ran air,and some guys had to work.

Now more guys are going to ,work that day!
I heard not in 804 though...because of some language in our supplement. Haven't heard anything at work about Black Friday being a regular work day...only on BC.