Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
FROM UPS for immediate release to all employees..

Friday after Thanksgiving Operations (as soon as possible)

To help clear the UPS system and prepare us for the first wave of increased volume the Monday after Thanksgiving, we made the decision to implement full small package ground and air pickup and delivery operations in the United States for the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Date to be given:As soon as possible
Audience:All U.S. Small Package Employees
Visual:None
IntroductionFollowing peak season this past January, we began working on solutions to ensure our service lives up to its promise during peak and beyond. We assembled a team and also solicited input from first-line employees to identify solutions to the challenges we faced.

Key Points

• We have made significant investments in network capacity and processing capability.
  • In addition, we are implementing process improvements in volume forecasting, package and asset tracking, and customer communications.
  • We have also made the decision to implement full small package ground and air pickup and delivery operations in the United States for the Friday after Thanksgiving.
  • This will help clear our system and get us ready for the first wave of increased volume the following Monday.
  • It enables us to address heavier online shipping and compressed operating days during peak and to counter competitive tactics. We know, for example, that our competition has been talking to customers about their plans to operate that day, and it’s important for our customers to know we are willing to do everything we can to keep our promises.
  • Because the day after Thanksgiving is a traditional UPS holiday, employees who work this day will be compensated based on current salary administration guidelines or at their supplemental holiday rate.
ConclusionWe are taking this step to adapt to changing economic and competitive conditions. Combined with technology, staffing, and facility improvements, running normal operations the Friday after Thanksgiving will enable us to operate at peak efficiency and more effectively live up to the commitments we make to our customers.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Key words in the statement "NORMAL OPERATIONS"... you dont see any wording of "volunteers", or "lowest seniority"..

NORMAL OPERATIONS for all small package operations in the system nationwide.

If you dont show up for work on that friday, you will be subject to discipline upto and including discharge for job abandonment.

Regardless of the past, this is the future starting this year.

TOS.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
We have always been paid for the holiday and straight time if we worked.

This must be a supplemental thing. Last year, I made the seniority cut for the first in 9 years of being FT. In all 8 years prior, I received holiday pay plus time and a half for all hours worked.

I'll be expecting the same this year.

Sent using a Potato

upschuck

Key words in the statement "NORMAL OPERATIONS"... you dont see any wording of "volunteers", or "lowest seniority"..

NORMAL OPERATIONS for all small package operations in the system nationwide.

If you dont show up for work on that friday, you will be subject to discipline upto and including discharge for job abandonment.

Regardless of the past, this is the future starting this year.

TOS.
I agree with everything except the job abandonment. Here you need 3 no call, no shows for them to issue the termination letter, if you don't respond immediately(believe that is what the letter states, never got one).

upschuck

Also had a guy with probably 30+ years(mostly PT) just not come into work anymore and HR did their best trying to locate this guy, went to address on record, searched internet called directory assistance, and more, to get this guy to start his pension process. He had been awol for, I believe, 3+ months.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Also had a guy with probably 30+ years(mostly PT) just not come into work anymore and HR did their best trying to locate this guy, went to address on record, searched internet called directory assistance, and more, to get this guy to start his pension process. He had been awol for, I believe, 3+ months.
Witness relocation?

fres431

In central ca if your forced to work you will get paid 1.5 x pay plus holiday pay. If you are air support you will get holiday pay plus regular hourly rate. What does that mean..grey area but that means I ain't volunteering to work so if I am forced to work I'm making time and half

dqs95124

After 13yrs getting my own rt. I thought. I won't be the list. Top of the list last year, called did not have to come in. I will have to work the day after.. This year. I wonder how many lower seniority will not come in. O we'll see. 2 yr ago a higher seniority driver came in for a lower seniority driver. How does that happen? Status Quo in the centers that break all the rules. . So put the big boy panties on and suck it up

Maybe he was just using his optional / personal days up??

dqs95124

What sucks. I thought I had enough seniority. To plan for, " yes a four day weekend".As my honey said. So much for that idea. At least you got a week in July? Ok .it is what It is.

BCFan

You guys are really ......UPS CANT EAT YOU....to keep it family friendly tell sup to pound sand...Hoffa Hall are giving up the old high hard one and in the meantime are trying to take away our right to vote in general election. My heros at 728 are not even attempting to stop it...great work 728 e board

dqs95124

My fav was a couple yrs ago I was not on the list. Honey and I thinking doing a road trip. On Wed at 8:29 am my name was on the list for FRi(24hr notice). I knew it was to good to be true. Show up. 1/2 of the lower seniority drivers were not there. I worked thinking. "I'm almost there. I can make plans" nope.. This year if any lower seniority do not show up. I'm greiving it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In central ca if your forced to work you will get paid 1.5 x pay plus holiday pay. If you are air support you will get holiday pay plus regular hourly rate. What does that mean..grey area but that means I ain't volunteering to work so if I am forced to work I'm making time and half

It is a regular work day----there is no volunteering or being forced to work as everyone who is not on vacation will be working.