Stacking Boxes: Part of the Job or Courtesy?

Well...today at the mall Im assigned to, the wonderfull Disney store had 278 packages. The service corridor that leads to their back door is small, and the back room they have is about the half the length of a standard package car. Well since the other helper I work with decided to take all the shoe stores, I started on Disney alone. When I arrived to the back door, the manager lady opened the door, and low and behold...they didnt move anything from the previous days shipment. My face was like :knockedout:. I had allready scanned the boxes at the dock, so they could scan them and I could just stack them and get out a little faster. As I was stacking them, the lady starts rushing me, saying she only has one person in the front, who cant be up there by herself for long. I told her I will do my best, and she kept rushing me. By the time i made my 3rd trip I was nearly done, and their back room looked like Tetris Gone Beserk. I stacked as best as I could have, since she kept rushing me. When I started my return trip to pick up the remaining 20 or so packages, the other helper was bringing them up, and I asked him to finish it, since I didnt want to deal with that lady anymore, and he agreed.
Later while doing pick ups, I passed by Disney to see if they had stuff going out, and the manager just starts to chew me out infront of all these customers in her store. She was saying, "You did a horrible job back there, you need to be more organized and faster. Your stacking was so bad that you upset your partner and yadayadayada. You need to learn how to do your job. I dont think they should keep you if you choose to remain the slob you are at stacking boxes". There and then I wanted blood. But I simply said "Well you have a nice day maam" and walked away.

Now at 90% of the stores i visit, they just tell me drop them off outside or whatever. The rest, ask us to stack them. And since the Disney store has only women ususally working their, we usually do it. But, IS IT part of the job? Do we HAVE to?

Most malls have rules that the hallways be clear because of fire code. Beyond that it`s courtesy.When people treated me nice I did the best I could for them. People like yours I would stack them just across the threshold and if they didn`t like it they could move the stack were they wanted. I also found that if someone blew a phone call into the stores corporate customer phone number as a concerned customer who was upset at how the rude Mgr treated the nice hardworking UPS guy it would be a nice little payback also.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most malls have rules that the hallways be clear because of fire code. Beyond that it`s courtesy.When people treated me nice I did the best I could for them. People like yours I would stack them just across the threshold and if they didn`t like it they could move the stack were they wanted. I also found that if someone blew a phone call into the stores corporate customer phone number as a concerned customer who was upset at how the rude Mgr treated the nice hardworking UPS guy it would be a nice little payback also.

...or it could turn a bad situation in to one that has no chance of being repaired.

Courtesy should go both ways, but we all know that sometimes just ain't gonna happen. I have politely told people like her, " With all due respect Ma'am I'm not your stock clerk, I stack the packages as neatly as I can in the time I have."
When I first started there we a few customers(K-Mart) that required us to separate by shipper.

BigBrownSanta

Maybe you could call in a complaint as a "concerned customer" about how the manager was alone with 20 customers and how many of those customers (and yourself) left angry and disgusted because they had to wait in a long line to make their purchases. Maybe they will hire more workers. Maybe then, there will be another body there to help you stack the packages.

As for whether it's part of the job or a courtesy...

LOL. It's both. (I should be in management with that answer):laughing:

bste11

King of UPS
I would say, Quit disrespecting UPS by representing it in a ****ty way. Don't just throw boxes around. You are making all of us look bad.

barnyard

KTM rider
I do not deliver to a mall, but do have a medical clinic that does not have a dock or receiving room. I cart the stuff in, slide the cart from under the stack and get the next load, when the room that I cart stuff to is full, I stack in the hall. The only boxes I separate out are ones marked "refrigerate."

I do have several stand alone stores that I deliver to. I cart their stuff in and they put it away.

I am not their stock clerk.

TB

UPSGUY72

Your job is to deliver the packages to the store. You don't have to be the stores receiver. But you do have to be nice about the whole situation.

Just find a place out of the way to place the boxes and get a signature and leave. If someone says you did something wrong then ask them where would be a better place for the packages to be put (within reason). If they still have a problem with it run it by your SUP.

Don't get into a pissing contest with the lady apparently she doesn't like her job or has her own problems.

Overpaid Union Thug

Your job is to deliver the packages to the store. You don't have to be the stores receiver. But you do have to be nice about the whole situation.

Just find a place out of the way to place the boxes and get a signature and leave. If someone says you did something wrong then ask them where would be a better place for the packages to be put (within reason). If they still have a problem with it run it by your SUP.

Don't get into a pissing contest with the lady apparently she doesn't like her job or has her own problems.

Agreed. For commercial stops our job is to get the packages in the door and thats it. They can tell us which door to go to but anything extra is a courtesy. I've delivered the mall plenty of times and usually abide by each store's rules unless those rules slow me down. Remember.....we have other customers waiting. If there isn't a clear path to the stock room I will just start stacking wherever I can find space. Let someone that actually works in the store do their jobs. I like to accommodate the customers but I think that when they don't respect our time and start taking advantage of us then we should just enter the store and start stacking and let them deal with it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We are a door to door delivery company, we dont put the packages away for the customer. In this case i would have told her i would be calling her boss, mickey and she could quite possibly be expecting a phone call back from minnie.

Re-Raise

It is always tough being the new guy. It is the same for cover drivers and driver helpers. The regular driver probably already has his routine with this and his other consignees.

It is all about finding a solution that works for both parties. Most people know the time constraints we are under but we also can try to work with them.

My response is generally to try to work with them but if push comes to shove I will look them in the eye and say

Are you asking me to do something or telling me to ? Because you will have a lot better luck wioth one of those than the other.

I delivered to a mall years back and had a real jerk of a manager at radio shack so at peak he would get his delivery at 845 pm.Make her the last stop and bring that bulk stop at right before close and she will be working real late,bet her attitude changes.

Big Babooba

We are a door to door delivery company, we dont put the packages away for the customer. In this case i would have told her i would be calling her boss, mickey and she could quite possibly be expecting a phone call back from minnie.
Her immediate supervisor may be Goofy. If she could get some help from Huey, Dewey and Louie, she would have a better attitude. Wait a minute.... My immediate supervisor is Goofy.

...or it could turn a bad situation in to one that has no chance of being repaired.

Actually that would be the time I accidentally told the fire marshall who was making random inspections that the Barnes and Noble had so much cardboard laying in the backroom that people couldn`t walk around safely. The next day they had a nice clean stockroom and a much better attitude. It`s a game and you need to know how to play it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Play the game. You don't work for her and it's not your job to clean up her store. i've gotten into small disputes with customers at malls. Had a problem with a new gung-ho manager at Gamestop once. Told me he BETTER have his stuff delivered when he opens the gate in the mornng. Not a very nice way to approach this with me. I immiediately started delivering his stuff while I was doing my pickups. Needless to say, he was not happy. He then approached me and told me that we talked about this. I corrected him and told him that "HE" talked about this and there was a much better way to approach me about this. In the end he ended understanding that he is no more important than the next store and I work my way around the mall in order. My order, not his.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only problem with Gamestop is that we are contractually obligated to have them delivered by noon. I deliver my store about 1/2 hour before they open and the manager appreciates that. I pull up to the store and lay on the horn as she is usually either on the phone or in the back so that she can open the door. It works out well for me and for her. I then have to ODS to OMS how many pkgs and what time I delivered.