Start Time vs Report Time a.k.a Have I friend-ed Myself?

SubPop79

Last night one of my supervisors was a dick to a guy for not knowing the difference between "report time" and "start time." The sup also did not explain the difference and just said "Maybe that's something you should pay attention to for now on."

Funny...I've been here for 2.5 years and I also don't know the difference. I'm not sure anyone in my building really does. I've probably friend-ed myself this whole time, but now I am worried about being paid properly. I've never heard anyone here complain about lost hours and pay, but now I am curious. I have asked just about start time, but my floor sup has said not to worry about it because they correct it at the end of the week and there are different start times.

I'm going to start logging all my hours and start vs report times but in the meantime, is there any way to see if I've been screwed over? I thought I would try UPSers, but my Employee ID + password (first 2 letters of last name, last two #s of birth year and last 2 #s of ID) does not work and my account is locked. I've also never ever been on UPSers.

Fortunately, I do have ALL of my pay stubs...

PT Car Washer

Your report time is the time you punch in when you arrive for work. Your start time is the time you start working and getting paid. The report time should be prior to your start time. Some guys show up a half hour before start time to visit or have nothing else to do but they don't start getting paid until their start time.

SubPop79

Well yea, but yesterday's start time was 2:30, which is the time I punched in exactly. At the end of the day, the login terminal said report time 2:30 p.m., start time 5:45 p.m.

SubPop79

So if they tell me the start time is 2:30 p.m., and the login screen says the start time was 5:45, is that start time incorrect or am I actually working 3 hours and 15 minutes for free? Can UPS do that?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Well yea, but yesterday's start time was 2:30, which is the time I punched in exactly. At the end of the day, the login terminal said report time 2:30 p.m., start time 5:45 p.m.

If you're punching in on the hubcom at your exact start time, you'll be recorded as late (electronically) as hours are measured in the time clock system in ticks (100 ticks per 60 minutes). If you're a tick late, you're late.

As far as start times being changed, ie. a supervisor asking you to start-up early, those have to be manually changed. Always follow up and check the operations report/hours to make sure your time was edited/credited correctly.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So if they tell me the start time is 2:30 p.m., and the login screen says the start time was 5:45, is that start time incorrect or am I actually working 3 hours and 15 minutes for free? Can UPS do that?

It means that someone didn't update the start times for the sort before folks punched in and it has to be done "sort wide" when time cards are verified at the end of the shift.

SubPop79

If you're punching in on the hubcom at your exact start time, you'll be recorded as late (electronically) as hours are measured in the time clock system in ticks (100 ticks per 60 minutes). If you're a tick late, you're late.

As far as start times being changed, ie. a supervisor asking you to start-up early, those have to be manually changed. Always follow up and check the operations report/hours to make sure your time was edited/credited correctly.

Are there any other consequences to being late besides being paid less and being fired if I do it too often?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sigh....2.5 years of working here and you don't know the difference...nor do you know to write down and keep track of your hours each week to ensure your paychecks are not short? Your report time is irrelevant as long as you are not late. Example, your start time is 2am...but you clock in at 145am. Your report time will say 145...but you will not be paid until 2am.

If your start time listed is incorrect when you clock in....that too is irrelevant, to a point. Your sup can go into the computer...manually change everyone's start time to the.correct time, and this does not show up on the Package timecard Web.
Thus, writing down your hours everyday...and comparing them to your checks every week is imperative...unless you enjoy being screwed out of money.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Are there any other consequences to being late besides being paid less and being fired if I do it too often?

Your supervisor will probably start to hate you if you're not a ballbuster that can load 800 pieces an hour.

In my area and on my sort, no one really gives a :censored2: if people are late during peak. Management knows people have second jobs (most of them are high seniority PT'ers with kids/families) and they have enough staffing with double shifts to hold down the fort until they get in.

Entirely different story during the rest of the year, though.

SubPop79

OK, so how often do people get screwed out of money and is it possible to be reimbursed months and years after the fact?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
OK, so how often do people get screwed out of money and is it possible to be reimbursed months and years after the fact?
This year alone...i've had 5 or 6 incidents where my paychecks were short an hour here or there. And no....you have 10 days to file a grievance...as I understand it. I could be wrong.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The supervisor SHOULD correct that.

What you could do is write down all of your hours, and then Fri/Sat (end of the work week), ask to see the OR (ops report) where you can see your hours to compare.

PT Car Washer

Most PTers who have worked at UPS for a while know to record their hours daily and compare it to their paycheck hours. After 37 years and countless technology innovations in my time working at UPS they still can't get it right. Another reason for the high turn over rate in PT.