starting feeders

Dutch Dawg

You probably already know this but a little reminding won't hurt.
Take that "I gotta go.. go.. go.." package car mentality and leave it somewhere, just don't bring it with you to feeders.
Slow down, check, double check and then recheck everything you do associated with pretrip, coupling, and post trip.
You'll be ok and once you feel comfortable in your abilities you'll actually realize that work can be bearable if not actually enjoyable at UPS. Good luck

F

FinAddict

Parking brake on, transmission in neutral!!! NEVER move from that driver seat without the parking brake on. Immediate disqualification. You will be stressed and they expect you to be as the info comes fast. Don't give up, the trainers want you to succeed. Ask questions. Why do you open the service air before the supply when completing the coupling of the rear trailer(s)? Use the methods taught, don't take shortcuts and you will be fine.

dragracer66

The first thing you should do is find out where all the local convience store's are they are feeder hangout's. Secondly you should get use to night's because the only daylight you will see is your drive home in the morning. Thirdly get a gallon of brown touch up paint from the autoshop(your going to need it)!!! Lastly get yourself one of those big boy over the road cb's so you can hear all the owner operator as*hole's screaming at you to get out of the middle lane because your truck will only do 67 mph!!!!! :thumbup1:

pretender

1) Don't be afraid to ask questions

2) Try to be as smooth as possible

3) Coming from packages, your tendency will be to wind the transmission up way too high--Watch your RPMs and again, try and be as smooth as possible

4) Get to know the mechanics--They can provide a wealth of information, and are usually happy to share it.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous Gearjammer

Get plenty of sleep, show up a little early, enough so you don't feel rushed, learn the pre-trip routine and try to repeat same routine always so you will not miss / forget anything. And like others said ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask others drivers questions or for help. Most will be more then happy to help especially those just ahead of you in seniority. And very important: SLOW DOWN, they don't stop on a dime besides patience is a virtue.

Good Luck

trickpony1

I agree with dutch dawg. Too many people bring that adrenalin induced frenzied pace into feeders with them. Your trainers and sups want you to go slow. The equipment is too big to whip around like pkg car. Your fellow feeder drivers will be a wealth of information....listen to them. Learning to back a trailer takes time because all these years in pkg cars you've turned the wheel one way and the pkg cars goes a certain direction....when backing a trailer it's different. It's all a matter of getting your mind right.......be patient, it will happen. I sometimes have trouble backing my car up.

Finaddict-I know the answer to your question. Turning on the service air before turning on the supply air sets the brakes on the back trailer so it doesn't move. You are definately correct, there a numerous little safety things that can keep you out of trouble.

brett636

Now would be a good time to get yourself on a diet and figure out a way to exercise because you sure aren't going to get it at work anymore! :D

over9five

Staff member
"..good time to get yourself on a diet.."

And there's my main worry about when I do go to feeders. I've seen many good men become twice the man they were simply by going to feeders.

terrymac

pull out the yellow button at the same time, pushing in the red button. Dont let anyone get you in a hurry. Always have too much following distance. If it takes you more than a mile for to pass someone else on the interstate, your in the wrong lane..Becareful!!!!!!!

U

ups ups ups

I'm glad to see many UPSers stressing safety, pre-trip, post-trip and following of the (feeder) methods! I thought these were all things of the past. I don't think you would get the same responses from newer package drivers.

The conpany is now driven by production and Wall street predictions.

The days of following the methods and the policies of that made UPS successful are fading quickly.

trickpony1

.....wait until you try to stop a set of doubles or triples and remember that you neglected to turn on your service air to the rear trailer(s) or;
.....wait until you lose your rear trailer(s) because you neglected to check your dolly latch and/or assure no space on the fifth wheel plate.

Certain parts of the body tighten up real tight when either of these two events happen.

Safety has no time allowance.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, get out of the truck without setting the parking brake. A roll away package car is one thing, a roll away tractor and trailer or trailers is something entirely different. As stated before, Always follow the proper pretrip, post trip and coupleing methods they will train you on and never take any short cuts. Remember no matter what is asked of you and how fast they want it done, it is your job and you are the only one that can protect it.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I'm glad to see many UPSers stressing safety, pre-trip, post-trip and following of the (feeder) methods! I thought these were all things of the past. I don't think you would get the same responses from newer package drivers.

The conpany is now driven by production and Wall street predictions.

The days of following the methods and the policies of that made UPS successful are fading quickly.
you forgot something: healthy, productive, safe workers are workers that aren't on sick leave, injured, or on worker's comp.

workers that aren't on sick leave, injured, or on worker's comp are productive workers.

productive workers are profitable workers.

profitable workers meet wall street's expectations.