Starting to get paranoid.

bbsam

Staff member
He has every right to be concerned as I also think that an innocent verdict would lead to some level of violence.
Anything is possible, but I really don't see violence a.real threat in the event of a not guilty verdict.

Why is that the concern though? Race was an issue because a self described white man shot and killed a young black teen and was released in hours. Right or wrong, few people believe that would have happened if a black man had shot and killed a white teen on a dark night during an altercation. With a prosecution and jury verdict, the potential for violent backlash is muted. Black Americans are familiar with disagreeable verdicts.

Now, call me paranoid. What does a not guilty verdict say to legions of white vigilantes who see a young black or Hispanic with a hoodie on? Where is the line of self defense or is it open season on "those people"? Those single parent savages, those menaces to society.
Is this a fear just as valid as race riots?

oldngray

nowhere special
Anything is possible, but I really don't see violence a.real threat in the event of a not guilty verdict.

Why is that the concern though? Race was an issue because a self described white man shot and killed a young black teen and was released in hours. Right or wrong, few people believe that would have happened if a black man had shot and killed a white teen on a dark night during an altercation. With a prosecution and jury verdict, the potential for violent backlash is muted. Black Americans are familiar with disagreeable verdicts.

Now, call me paranoid. What does a not guilty verdict say to legions of white vigilantes who see a young black or Hispanic with a hoodie on? Where is the line of self defense or is it open season on "those people"? Those single parent savages, those menaces to society.
Is this a fear just as valid as race riots?

as valid? No

bbsam

Staff member
as valid? No
why? Because it will be spread out and over time? A violence with a court set precedent spurring justification in the minds of individuals? Or maybe all people in "shall issue" states will start carrying. Doesn't mean the altercations will end, but might mean one gets to the gun quicker with a low bar to self defense.

moreluck

golden ticket member
why? Because it will be spread out and over time? A violence with a court set precedent spurring justification in the minds of individuals? Or maybe all people in "shall issue" states will start carrying. Doesn't mean the altercations will end, but might mean one gets to the gun quicker with a low bar to self defense.
Just look back at the O.J.verdict.......whites didn't riot then.

bbsam

Staff member
When was the last time you saw legions of white vigilantes as compared riots started by blacks over a racial issue?

apples and oranges. A not guilty verdict has a potential to set off rioting but also has the potential to send the message to go ahead and shoot to anyone who feels threatened. It validates the Zimmerman "get a gun and patrol the streets" crowd. So when the Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam and Latin Kings come to town promoting gun ownership and handing out gun registrations in their communities, how do things get better?

moreluck

golden ticket member
It just applies to high profile people OR people made high profile by the likes of Al & Jesse.

OJ was the last one I can think of...........it's not just a google exercise.....there are special circumstances.

I tried to think of a white guy BUT, I wanted to hang Scott Peterson on the spot. I wanted to shoot Bundy. I'm glad to see the bad punished. I never thought about rioting......they made their bed, they get to lie in it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
If you google "wrongfully convicted" you will find a great number of blacks and Latinos whose convictions and even execution did not spur riots.

This has a more civil rights edge and flavor to it. Well, those on the outside of the case have made it into a civil rights case then the trail itself has. This case brings me flashbacks from Rodney King, and people just might riot. They might not here, but other places around the country, I bet it will happen.

IT could end up like this all over again.

Sublime - Riot: April 26, 1992

wkmac

Over the last several days, I've seen a number of stories pop up here and there across the media raising concerns about what will happen after a Zimmerman verdict. And so far where given, the foundations for the concerns all link back to a dozen mouths on a social network.

I swear, the cowardly lion had more ballz than many of you people and the scarecrow had more brains and this was before their journey with Dorothy.

Instead of screaming the sky is falling or maybe the better comparative is a fear of "the black veil covering the land" why not ask, "Now who would really benefit should such occur, is there money to be made, who has the power to implement such public policy in reaction too and then actually follow where such money might go.

"This is an announcement from your gov't. In the interest of public safety, with the verdict in the Zimmerman trial upon us, we are invoking a mandatory martial law across the United States as a preventative measure based upon social media evidence that violence could occur. For the next 48 hours, everyone will be restricted to the confines of your homes. Those away from your homes will have the next 6 hours to get there and those further out will remain where you are after checking in with local law enforcement on you whereabouts and why you are there. Any violation of this policy will be met with the most harsh consequences. We thank the public for their cooperation and further notices as conditions warrant will be forthcoming."

To dystopian? Ask Boston how that works!

If ever there was a moment for Obama, ramp this up and many of you would see Obama as champion when he announced thanks to NSA surveillance program Prism, the gov't has crushed a "black terror plot" in reaction to the Zimmerman verdict and now you'd embrace the "all seeing eye" as savior. Well that's just absurd, right? If you are old enough think back 20 years at what was absurd and then think what is actually happening now, again tell me what absurd is?

Do that and a bunch of braggadocious mouths on social media become the least of your worries!

Fear is the mind killer!

wkmac

Who is benefitting ??

I asked the same question when blacks were looting black-owned businesses in L.A.

Are you looking back at history, the one who stomps her feet and throws a fit anytime one brings up history?

Again, you contradict yourself!

As to who benefited in LA, well the riots sure went a long way at least to side the white public with the verdict or rather to justify the police especially in mind of said white public. Fear of the black man was real and the Paula Deen's of the world if you will were vindicated in their use of language and thought.

If the nights and days had been calm afterwards, the division of society would not have been there, the worst of all scenarios in that people might actually talk with one another and a different perspective of not just events but deeper causes might begin to emerge.

But we all know those "BLACK" people can't live in good society and there's not a chance in the world that these people were not acting on their own accord nor could there have been others at play provoking the situation.

But in your case never dare question outside the box!

Upsmule

Over the last several days, I've seen a number of stories pop up here and there across the media raising concerns about what will happen after a Zimmerman verdict. And so far where given, the foundations for the concerns all link back to a dozen mouths on a social network.

I swear, the cowardly lion had more ballz than many of you people and the scarecrow had more brains and this was before their journey with Dorothy.

Instead of screaming the sky is falling or maybe the better comparative is a fear of "the black veil covering the land" why not ask, "Now who would really benefit should such occur, is there money to be made, who has the power to implement such public policy in reaction too and then actually follow where such money might go.

"This is an announcement from your gov't. In the interest of public safety, with the verdict in the Zimmerman trial upon us, we are invoking a mandatory martial law across the United States as a preventative measure based upon social media evidence that violence could occur. For the next 48 hours, everyone will be restricted to the confines of your homes. Those away from your homes will have the next 6 hours to get there and those further out will remain where you are after checking in with local law enforcement on you whereabouts and why you are there. Any violation of this policy will be met with the most harsh consequences. We thank the public for their cooperation and further notices as conditions warrant will be forthcoming."

To dystopian? Ask Boston how that works!

If ever there was a moment for Obama, ramp this up and many of you would see Obama as champion when he announced thanks to NSA surveillance program Prism, the gov't has crushed a "black terror plot" in reaction to the Zimmerman verdict and now you'd embrace the "all seeing eye" as savior. Well that's just absurd, right? If you are old enough think back 20 years at what was absurd and then think what is actually happening now, again tell me what absurd is?

Do that and a bunch of braggadocious mouths on social media become the least of your worries!

Fear is the mind killer!

Fear is one thing. Facing reality and being fearless at recognizing it, as well as preparing for it, is quite another. Nice try though.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Are you looking back at history, the one who stomps her feet and throws a fit anytime one brings up history?

Again, you contradict yourself! " (Wkmac)

I consider "history" before my time !!!

OJ trial is my time.......I watched it daily for months. I lived through it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Man, I just shot my remmington 870 express compact. And holy cow! Its a 20 gauge, I thought it would be small potatoes. I thought wrong of course. I was tearing huge holes in tree trunks. And nailing soda cans at 20+ feet with deer slugs.

I was thinking it would be light compared to my mossberg 500a tactical, 12 gauge. But it was more accurate, and just as ( in not more ) deadly.

Im thinking about making this my first choice in home defense.