Staying/Getting Fit As A Delivery Driver: On Topic Please

Orion inc.

I like turtles
For someone like you who is single with no social prospects and is off by 6 every day an evening gym routine would be fine.

For the rest of us the morning is the only time we can have a consistent routine.
You're going to be a wonderful father.
He does make a valid point Dave. You don't work late. You're single and I'm sure your friends circle is small considering.

You should take up a hobby. Maybe a physical hobby.

rickyb

How does everyone stay healthy while working in package? Working out? Running or walking after work? Dieting? Or a combination of some or all of those?

For me delivering packages is one of the easiest manual labor jobs I've ever had. I slowly, but consistently, gained allot of weight from the time I started driving up until I finally realized it was starting to become a problem. Its easy to do without realizing it. We deliver to, or drive by, plenty of gas stations/convenient stores that sell plenty of unhealthy food and drinks. And they all seem to call out our names once we walk in. LOL! Then there is also plenty of fast food restaurants just begging for us to stop in for lunch. Hell, they didn't have to beg to get me in. LOL!

A while back I decided to cut out as much sugar and carbs from my daily intake as I could. I haven't touched any of the sugary garbage that I was eating and drinking that contributed to me gaining so much weight in almost 6 months. When I eat fast food I don't buy the combos. And I started using a calorie counting app and it has been awesome. I initially dropped ten pounds (probably mostly water weight) rather quickly and then started an exercise routine after work that consists of walking, pushups, squats, and various abdominal exercises and without using any free weights. The weight just fell right off. I lost 25% of my body weight. The calorie counting app won't let you not eat enough calories (assuming one is honest) so I didn't have to worry about losing too much too fast.

Most of us burn plenty of calories throughout the day but eating and drinking too much junk while doing so, combined with continuing that during our time off, more than puts back those calories. Look around and check out your co-workers during the next PCM. There are likely more overweight drivers than one would expect to see. Its easy to get to that point though. I didn't realize how bad I actually had gotten until my wife showed me a picture of myself that she had taken during our last vacation. Sometimes you have to lose that extra weight before you can see it. Especially that extra sogginess that forms on the face around the cheekbones and neck.

But now I'm maintaining a weight that falls in the range suggested by fitness experts for my height and drink only water and basically eat 5-7 smaller meals and snack a day. I feel lighter on my feet and definitely have more energy. There has been one problem though. I had to buy all new clothes! But I'll take having to drop a small fortune on new clothes over getting diabetes and a screwed up kidney and/or liver any day.
go vegan. the way they raise meat is a toxic stew.

stop eating high sodium foods. and watch out for added sugars as well. eat your fruits and vegetables, no sodium beans. cut down on cheese or get rid of it.

i only eat 2 kinds of fast food: subway or quiznoes, or burrito places.

rickyb

Fact: It comes from corn so it's naturally healthy.
HFCS starts out as cornstarch. Companies use enzymes or acids to break down most of the starch into its glucose subunits. Then other enzymes convert different proportions of the glucose to fructose. The resulting syrups contain as much as 90 percent fructose, but most HFCS is 42 percent or 55 percent fructose. In 2011, about 48 pounds of corn sweeteners, mostly HFCS, and 70 pounds cane and beet sugar were produced per capita in the United States.

Modest amounts of fructose from HFCS or other sources are safe and do not boost blood glucose levels, making the sweetener attractive to diabetics. However, large amounts promote tooth decay, as well as increase triglyceride (fat) levels in blood, thereby increasing the risk of heart disease. Also, recent studies show that consuming 25 percent of calories from fructose or HFCS leads to more visceral (deep belly) fat or liver fat. Those changes may increase the risk of diabetes or heart disease. Finally, large amounts of fructose consumed on a regular basis also may affect levels of such hormones as insulin, leptin, and ghrelin that regulate appetite, thereby contributing to weight gain and obesity. The HFCS 55 that is used in most soft drinks contains about 10 percent more fructose than sucrose. That makes most soft drinks a bit more harmful than if they were made with sugar.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans (America's basic nutrition policy), American Heart Association, and other health authorities recommend that people consume no more than about 3 to 8 percent of calories in the form of refined sugars. That's far less than the current average of 15 percent of calories. The bottom line: the fewer added sugars—fructose, sucrose, or HFCS—one consumes the better (though, again, small amounts are safe).

rickyb

These are good for a meal replacement or snack (depending on your calorie intake goals). And they don't taste like a "fitness bar" at all.

IMG_3607.jpg
this is just added sugar. peanuts are good for you tho

Indecisi0n

HFCS starts out as cornstarch. Companies use enzymes or acids to break down most of the starch into its glucose subunits. Then other enzymes convert different proportions of the glucose to fructose. The resulting syrups contain as much as 90 percent fructose, but most HFCS is 42 percent or 55 percent fructose. In 2011, about 48 pounds of corn sweeteners, mostly HFCS, and 70 pounds cane and beet sugar were produced per capita in the United States.

Modest amounts of fructose from HFCS or other sources are safe and do not boost blood glucose levels, making the sweetener attractive to diabetics. However, large amounts promote tooth decay, as well as increase triglyceride (fat) levels in blood, thereby increasing the risk of heart disease. Also, recent studies show that consuming 25 percent of calories from fructose or HFCS leads to more visceral (deep belly) fat or liver fat. Those changes may increase the risk of diabetes or heart disease. Finally, large amounts of fructose consumed on a regular basis also may affect levels of such hormones as insulin, leptin, and ghrelin that regulate appetite, thereby contributing to weight gain and obesity. The HFCS 55 that is used in most soft drinks contains about 10 percent more fructose than sucrose. That makes most soft drinks a bit more harmful than if they were made with sugar.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans (America's basic nutrition policy), American Heart Association, and other health authorities recommend that people consume no more than about 3 to 8 percent of calories in the form of refined sugars. That's far less than the current average of 15 percent of calories. The bottom line: the fewer added sugars—fructose, sucrose, or HFCS—one consumes the better (though, again, small amounts are safe).
You didn't start with "Fact:" so it ain't true.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

Thanks for the ebook. Sarcasm seems to be lost on you.