Student being ruled out for opportunities to clerk

Hey all, I hope someone can offer some guidance. I was hired 08/16 and I am a student. Newly hired person was trained on clerk and comes into work at 4 usually leaves about 20-30 minutes before me. I was asked after she had been trained if I wanted to do clerk, only after mentioning I could have the time to do the work, my reply “I can”. I come in at 6:15 daily and still have not been given the earlier/longer hours. I told supervisor I am available to do clerk and would actually prefer to do the work since I would get more hours and leave a little earlier. Was told he would think about it, and they ups does not like to give students the position because they believe I can quit at any time. I have informed him that I have no intentions of leaving the company.

Do I have a leg to stand on or am forced to continue to be tasked with only mindless work, such as loading unloading and Smalls because I want to further my education?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Hey all, I hope someone can offer some guidance. I was hired 08/16 and I am a student. Newly hired person was trained on clerk and comes into work at 4 usually leaves about 20-30 minutes before me. I was asked after she had been trained if I wanted to do clerk, only after mentioning I could have the time to do the work, my reply “I can”. I come in at 6:15 daily and still have not been given the earlier/longer hours. I told supervisor I am available to do clerk and would actually prefer to do the work since I would get more hours and leave a little earlier. Was told he would think about it, and they ups does not like to give students the position because they believe I can quit at any time. I have informed him that I have no intentions of leaving the company.

Do I have a leg to stand on or am forced to continue to be tasked with only mindless work, such as loading unloading and Smalls because I want to further my education?
You need to talk to your shop steward. Not a stupidvisor.

542thruNthru

But for real brah. I’d thats your real name, change it. it’s against the rules.

talk to your steward and good luck!

This is mike wazowski
58a7a0d35ad0fd0b7fdd33b4.png