Summer feeder jobs?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Sorry to hear you feel this way, don't see how documenting use of UPS Freight or other contractors to steal our feeder work would put you on the radar if done discretely. You don't need to make noise about it at work just be observe of what is happening and make mental notes of violations, and you could send a typed letter with no return address to the hall if you are so worried about managements wrath. If we don't protect these premium jobs then more fellow employees will be destined to performing lower paying more physically demanding jobs longer were injuries and permanent damage are of higher probability, even using proper methods, just the nature of repetitive motion. "United we stand, divided we fall."

Yeah, right...documenting use of sub-contractors is done by every person in the hub! NOT!! Management ain't stupid, they'd figure out who reported them. I observe plenty of :censored2: that goes on right under my nose, particularly sup's working. I had one doing re-tapes the other day look right at me and raise their eyebrows as though to say, "Got a problem?" I just smiled, shook my head and went back to work.

Protecting premium jobs? OK, I have no problem with that. But, we don't have enough drivers interested in driving feeders in the first place!! At least, that's my understanding. I spoke to a feeder driver right after I started and he said UPS couldn't fill 35+ spots on the board internally, so they were going to the street to do so. If I hadn't been told this by a union driver, I might have doubted it. But, he's there, he knows what's going on. I DON'T!! The union might nail UPS for sub-contracting but I'll leave the reporting to those with knowledge of feeder operations. -Rocky

clue11

I had a truck driver (cdl) guy ask me about hauling for UPS during the summers and at christmas. He owns his own truck and wonders if UPS hires owner operators to move freight during these times. I had no idea if we hire just drivers or if we use owner operators with their own trucks as well. If you have any info this or link let me know. I looked at UPSjobs.com and couldn't find much there. He wants to know what they pay.
UPS will not allow owner operators to operate their own equipment unless they have a contract with us and they have to have $2 million in insurance. The summer and peak jobs you are referring to pay between $18-20/hour depending on your location and they will receive no benefits, will NOT gain seniority but must pay union dues. At times, in different locations, it is necessary to hire a driver right off the street. In this case, they will start at the bottom wage ~$14.00/hour and work through a 2 1/2 year progression to the full rate but they will earn seniority, get benefits, everything a regular UPS employee would earn.

clue11

that crash course that ups train class A drivers is kinda bs. i didn't have enough time to pratice anything, the sup didn't have much patience and alway hurry me through the lessons. But at the end i passed and scored well to get my A licence. if i can learn this in 2 weeks vs what ppl go through in 2 month of training, then i can handle any rig as well as they do.........
I am sorry you were rushed through. I have trained many drivers with UPS and I was constantly telling them to relax and lean back against the seat. Package car drivers are so high strung when they come to feeders. It is a quick course but if you are a patient, direct trainer your trainees learn more quickly. Training a new driver from day one was one of my best experiences with UPS.

clue11

Sorry, GearJammer but I don't fight this battle with management. Its a stupid, petty fight and it puts me on the radar screen. I'll leave it to those that like to fight with management! I do see a lot of rentals/leased trailers in the yard. I don't look all that closely at these rigs but FSTZ and SCSZ ring a bell. -Rocky
UPS now owns all of the FSTZ, CFKZ and SCSZ trailers. We bought them from the rail yard.

rushfan

My trainer was great through the two weeks. I felt I was supposed to know everything the first day on the road-especially the shifting part. Man I felt stupid. He told me to relax and get out of "package mode" Once I got used to driving "bobtail", one box, then another was hitched up. There went my shifting. I couldn't remember if I was in high or low range, which gear I was in, which gear to be in when I was going to make a 90 degree turn etc.

The productive week, we got to use the "Jakes". In our area, we have a steep grade that we go through. The type that has a runaway truck ramp about every 2 miles. I was pulling a set of 180%. I got "sweaty palms" and again freeked out about which gear to use. He said, "get out of damn package mode", choose the correct gear, and use the "Jakes". I was using one of the old internationals with 3 stage Jakes. They, the jakes, in the old internationals are loud, so I really felt like a trucker. I am still a rookie until I have driven a whole winter on ice.

Now it sucks. The dream is over. I have been back in package about a month 'till vacations begin in the feeder dept.

diesel96

You must be eager to go back to pkg. car brown67. Last peak they contracted out several more runs than normal. At least a dozen of which we have always covered out of our feeder dept. So many that when every driver walked in the door to punch in they were asked if they wanted to go home. And you may think no big deal right you're guaranteed 8 hrs. So, instead of running the peak job that averaged 10-12 hrs. that the drivers bid because the company contracted them out they were made to stack pallets and sweep trailers out in freezing cold (highs barely breaking 0 friend usually) for eight hours or go home unpaid.

Btw article 32 in your national master agreement clearly states The employer may not subcontract work in any classification if any employee who normally performs such work is laid off. They also talk about preserving job opportunities and work for all employees under the contract.

How do Contracters "bump" UPS feeders drivers out of their own "bid runs".Sounds like a big time violation of our Conract Agreement.

hoser

Industrial Slob
majority of these feeders are through large companies like yanke, challenger, etc. they supply the trailer, we load it, they transport it, we offload it. i've never seen a ups trailer moved by a contractor. (including rail)

i'm pretty sure ups wouldn't hire just one guy with his truck. they'd at least take bids.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
i've never seen a ups trailer moved by a contractor. (including rail)

Come to the Great Plains, Hoser, and watch a Union Pacific container train. Eastbound or westbound, it doesn't matter. I've seen UPS trailers--grey with the UPS shield on 'em--on those trains. I've also seen UPS trailers pulled by contractors. Same deal--grey with UPS shield on them. -Rocky