Sunday December 20

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
At my station they have already stated that all non-dot employees will be working on that Sunday. Luckily I am still DOT, so I will enjoy the day off.
According to POLICY, DOT as well as non-DOT drivers are held to the same hours of service rules. That is, of course, unless it becomes inconvenient for the "needs of the company" at which time select policy(ies) will be suspended. Dontcha love that quicksand called 'policy'???

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The only norm we have is that you can almost guarantee that freight will be on time monday morning. As its the only day all of the freight is already in the building when you get there. Funny thats the day they try to cut routes and shove it down your throat.

I've had lates the last few Monday's. Too many stops. Lol.

Purplepackage

I've had lates the last few Monday's. Too many stops. Lol.

Yeah i love it, you leave 20 minutes earlier on monday but they make you absorb almost a whole extra p1 area.

My favorite is my manager was talking about how they are expecting volume to be heavy the first 3 days of this week. So what do they do? Basically running a peak plan Tuesday and Wednesday. But for Monday you ask? 6 swings scheduled to come in at Noon. lol

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah i love it, you leave 20 minutes earlier on monday but they make you absorb almost a whole extra p1 area.

My favorite is my manager was talking about how they are expecting volume to be heavy the first 3 days of this week. So what do they do? Basically running a peak plan Tuesday and Wednesday. But for Monday you ask? 6 swings scheduled to come in at Noon. lol

My mgr ride with me last Monday when I had lates. He knew before we left the building. I do my best. Can't ask for more.

dezguy

The only norm we have is that you can almost guarantee that freight will be on time monday morning. As its the only day all of the freight is already in the building when you get there. Funny thats the day they try to cut routes and shove it down your throat.
Must be nice. Every day of the week, there is a chance of late freight at my station. It's pathetic. On average, UPS and Purolator have been on the road an hour and a half to two hours before our first trucks roll out the door.

Purplepackage

Must be nice. Every day of the week, there is a chance of late freight at my station. It's pathetic. On average, UPS and Purolator have been on the road an hour and a half to two hours before our first trucks roll out the door.

That's based on area and region, around here we are on road around the same time as UPS if not a little earlier. Of course the fedex ground guy that delivers where I live I honestly just assume he never goes home I feel like he's out there 24 hours a day lol

outtatime

Around here it's possible to leave the building by 7:30am on Mondays but it stinks because your business stops aren't open so you get to reattempt them in the afternoon, which customers really love. Add that to the fact of about 30-35 p1's on Mondays since they cut routes.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's a 40% failure rate.

Point THAT out to management the next time they whine about you having lates.

That's a common tactic. Certain couriers think that if a plane is late on, say, Tuesday, they shouldn't be held responsible for lates the rest of the week when the planes are on time. It's brilliant logic.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's a common tactic. Certain couriers think that if a plane is late on, say, Tuesday, they shouldn't be held responsible for lates the rest of the week when the planes are on time. It's brilliant logic.
And once again you're muddying the waters.

It's a double standard.

outtatime

That's just it though, late planes. They have been doing the exact same thing for 40 years now and it's a daily struggle to get planes out of MEM on time. I mean that's your whole business model and what you should have down pat. And I'm not talking about peak, this is any day of the week in the summer when you can't blame it on the weather. I'm talking about a plane heading to a major metro city in the same time zone. It gets frustrating to be behind the 8 ball all day long and have to explain to customers why their package is late. Couriers have to answer as to why they had lates but it's okay to have a whole plane late day in and day out that comes from the company headquarters?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's just it though, late planes. They have been doing the exact same thing for 40 years now and it's a daily struggle to get planes out of MEM on time. I mean that's your whole business model and what you should have down pat. And I'm not talking about peak, this is any day of the week in the summer when you can't blame it on the weather. I'm talking about a plane heading to a major metro city in the same time zone. It gets frustrating to be behind the 8 ball all day long and have to explain to customers why their package is late. Couriers have to answer as to why they had lates but it's okay to have a whole plane late day in and day out that comes from the company headquarters?

I never answer those questions anymore. I tell them to call the 800 number.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Exactly. And Dano is either dense or doing a lousy job of pretending he doesn't understand the problem at hand.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's just it though, late planes. They have been doing the exact same thing for 40 years now and it's a daily struggle to get planes out of MEM on time. I mean that's your whole business model and what you should have down pat. And I'm not talking about peak, this is any day of the week in the summer when you can't blame it on the weather. I'm talking about a plane heading to a major metro city in the same time zone.

You're associating a late outbound flight with the sort going down late or the plane getting loaded late. The next time your inbound flight is late, look at the flight ops screen and see what the delay code is. There are several classifications. Most are ground delays - you can't take off until ATC says so. The most common ground delays are traffic, weather, and equipment issues.
There are in-flight delay codes, the most common one is weather. There are destination airport delay codes, and the most common are the same as the hub departure codes.

Those are almost entirely out of the control of FedEx.

Now, there are delay codes that are controllable on our end. Most of those are NOT GOOD and you're going to be signing something if one is charged to you.

Couriers have to answer as to why they had lates but it's okay to have a whole plane late day in and day out that comes from the company headquarters?

It's not okay, but it's erroneous to jump to the conclusion that someone at FedEx could have made it depart on time when the reality is that there likely nothing that we, as FedEx, could have done to that effect.