Supe loaded entire trailer, grieve?

DR PUMP

Bear with me as I am pretty new to union politics.

I've been working for about 3 months loading semi-trailers on my hub's twilight sort. Everything on this shift is really nice tbh, compared to my experiences on preload. The supervisors are fine, the flow is manageable, etc.

Yesterday, someone didn't show up and they cut off the flow to the trailer the dude was supposed to load for about an hour, increasing the volume on my trailer and the worker next to mine's. After that hour, the supervisor opened it up again and started loading it himself for about 2 hours.

I went over to the worker next to my trailer on break and we talked about how he's loading the trailer. I told him I want to file a grievance (I did at the time 100%), and he's like "really? I don't think it's that big of a deal man", and apparently he hasn't heard of anyone filing a grievance on anyone in his 2 years of seniority on this shift.

But I came from preload, and if I saw a sup do any amount of work on preload I'd file on them ASAP. The culture is different on this sort, still I'm conflicted. I don't have any problems with the supervisor himself, but he still shouldn't have done the work.

What would you do?

Last edited:

BiggieBrown

Sounds like a hoss.

I personally don't file on stuff like that because I want to avoid a hostile work environment but since you already ran your mouth you might as well file the grievance since what you said is going to make it back to him anyways.

BiggieBrown

Nah I'm just not gonna cause problems for my sup when he hasn't wronged me.
Someone called out so he jumped in a trailer to take some volume off me? What a stud, god bless him.

DR PUMP

Nah I'm just not gonna cause problems for my sup when he hasn't wronged me.
Someone called out so he jumped in a trailer to take some volume off me? What a stud, god bless him.

When he only gives himself like 30% flow and takes his sweet ass time loading, building picture-perfect walls, while everyone else's chutes are still backed up, you might not feel the same way.

He's making so much more $ than me loading that trailer, I assume higher than the pay cap for handlers, is that not enough for you to feel wronged?

Last edited:
When he only gives himself like 30% flow and takes his sweet ass time loading, building picture-perfect walls, while everyone else's chutes are still backed up, you might not feel the same way.

He's making so much more $ than me loading that trailer, I assume higher than the pay cap for handlers, is that not enough for you to feel wronged?
There is no pay cap for package handlers. Some are making $37/hr.

OKLABob

I’d file in a heart beat him working takes money away from you.. yes your co worker no showed his volume should have went to you and the worker next too you and you should have taken your sweet time and got paid. Now file your grievance and document the time the sup worked sit back and get paid buddy.

OKLABob

I don’t give supervisors any credit and I file every single chance I get. I’d file for there bad coffee breath if I could.

542thruNthru

I've been working for about 3 months loading semi-trailers on my hub's twilight sort. Everything on this shift is really nice tbh, compared to my experiences on preload. The supervisors are fine, the flow is manageable, etc.

Yesterday, someone didn't show up and they cut off the flow to the trailer the dude was supposed to load for about an hour, increasing the volume on my trailer and the worker next to mine's. After that hour, the supervisor opened it up again and started loading it himself for about 2 hours.

I went over to the worker next to my trailer on break and we talked about how he's loading the trailer. I told him I want to file a grievance (I did at the time 100%), and he's like "really? I don't think it's that big of a deal man", and apparently he hasn't heard of anyone filing a grievance on anyone in his 2 years of seniority on this shift.

But I came from preload, and if I saw a sup do any amount of work on preload I'd file on them ASAP. The culture is different on this sort, still I'm conflicted. I don't have any problems with the supervisor himself, but he still shouldn't have done the work.

What would you do?

ZomboMeme 18062019123216.jpg

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
his volume should have went to you and the worker next too you and you should have taken your sweet time and got paid
what a dumb post

trailers have hard pull times and the flow can’t stop for the other trailer; you can’t just wait and load it later

OP, grieve it you want the money i guess, but don’t bother justifying it any other way

BiggieBrown

:censored2: no.
30% less volume?
God what a blessing. I'd tell him God bless you.
Why are you trying to rationalize your decision with me? You wanna file the grievance file the grievance. I'd think you were a dick tho lol. Like I said before I think if you're a man you have to file it since you already ran your mouth off about it. This thread just seems like COPE.

Integrity

Binge Poster

What would you do?
I would take the matter up with my shop steward.

I would want to know the position of the Union Officials on these types of situations.

I would make my final grievance decision based upon my assessment of the strength of representation I would be getting from the Officials.

I would document this entire situation and my reasons for my decision whether I file or not.

I believe writing down what was said(quote) and who said it(quote)is the most important part of my documentation. But when it was said is important too.

UPSER1987

I’d file in a heart beat him working takes money away from you.. yes your co worker no showed his volume should have went to you and the worker next too you and you should have taken your sweet time and got paid. Now file your grievance and document the time the sup worked sit back and get paid buddy.

I see logistics isn’t your strong suit bob. Just deliver the boxes in your truck

What'dyabringmetoday???

I would take the matter up with my shop steward.

I would want to know the position of the Union Officials on these types of situations.

I would make my final grievance decision based upon my assessment of the strength of representation I would be getting from the Officials.

I would document this entire situation and my reasons for my decision whether I file or not.

I believe writing down what was said(quote) and who said it(quote)is the most important part of my documentation. But when it was said is important too.
The position of the Union Officials is that they don't care. They draw a fat paycheck either way.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The position of the Union Officials is that they don't care. They draw a fat paycheck either way.
You are painting with way to broad a brush here.

I know many Union Officials who care greatly and I respect their approach to their jobs.

Wholesale condemnation of Union Officials is detrimental to the membership.

Specific complaints and charges should be handled through proper means.

VeeTeeGee

what a dumb post

trailers have hard pull times and the flow can’t stop for the other trailer; you can’t just wait and load it later

OP, grieve it you want the money i guess, but don’t bother justifying it any other way

Yea, I feel like some people take this "us versus them" thing waaaay too seriously. It seems like it's much more a big hub thing than small center though. Half of the posts I see here seem like people working for an entirely different company. Our entire pre-load, union and mgmt, just wants to get it done asap and go home. We only miss getting OT ~2 days a month though, so it isn't like we're hurting for hours, and I guess that is part of what drives the divide at other centers. But man...I'm perfectly content to let non-union do union work on days where people call in so that I'm not completely :censored2:ed for 8 or 9 hours and the drivers for 11+. Who has time for that nonsense?

Edit: And for what it's worth, I absolutely believe that some centers are just plain :censored2: to work at. And that management can be absurdly overbearing to downright hostile at those places. It's just so odd to see posts from what is almost a different world compared to my experiences. I had a choice between a major hub or a smaller center when I was applying since I live pretty much equidistant to them both, and there is zero doubt in my mind that I chose correctly. Nothing beats rolling up at 2:59 for a 3:00 start and still making it with time to spare.

Last edited:
Yea, I feel like some people take this "us versus them" thing waaaay too seriously. It seems like it's much more a big hub thing than small center though. Half of the posts I see here seem like people working for an entirely different company. Our entire pre-load, union and mgmt, just wants to get it done asap and go home. We only miss getting OT ~2 days a month though, so it isn't like we're hurting for hours, and I guess that is part of what drives the divide at other centers. But man...I'm perfectly content to let non-union do union work on days where people call in so that I'm not completely :censored2:ed for 8 or 9 hours and the drivers for 11+. Who has time for that nonsense?

Edit: And for what it's worth, I absolutely believe that some centers are just plain :censored2: to work at. And that management can be absurdly overbearing to downright hostile at those places. It's just so odd to see posts from what is almost a different world compared to my experiences. I had a choice between a major hub or a smaller center when I was applying since I live pretty much equidistant to them both, and there is zero doubt in my mind that I chose correctly. Nothing beats rolling up at 2:59 for a 3:00 start and still making it with time to spare.
They need to hire some more people then. We don't pay union dues so management can do our work

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
They need to hire some more people then. We don't pay union dues so management can do our work
we staff to the working need + vacations + avg call outs + avg sick + avg no call no show + etc

like we literally already staff to assume people aren’t going to show, what more do you want dude if worthless people go above and beyond that to bojangle their way out of working

we staff to the working need + vacations + avg call outs + avg sick + avg no call no show + etc

like we literally already staff to assume people aren’t going to show, what more do you want dude if worthless people go above and beyond that to bojangle their way out of working
You need to deal with the people that aren't showing up for work. Seriously we do not have enough people