Supervisor asking me to clear stack-outs

Minstro

Hello,

I am currently working as an unloader during preload early AM. I'm normally done with the trucks by 8-8:30am. I have class starting at 11am on tuesday and thursday, and have to leave my house around 10:30am to get to campus on time.

Before this, I would unload the trucks then go and help loaders clear their stack-outs. This sometimes led to me being in the building until 9:45-10:00am. I spoke with the manager and told her that I would like a set time to leave. She told me she cannot do that, but I can leave once I finish unloading the trucks.

So today, I finished my trucks at 8:00am. We only get 4 trucks, 1 long and 3 shorts, and the 4th short had only about 50% in it. I'm getting ready to walk out and the preload supervisor asks me to stay and help load trucks and clear stack-outs. I told him that the general manager said I was allowed to leave if I finished unloading, and that I had asked her for a set time instead (as I had seen this issue occurring). He gets frustrated and yells at me to "just go home then". I left.

This leaves me with some questions:

1) I was under the impression that corporate SOP is to not have anyone stacked out, as it was an egress issue. Should I take pictures of these stack-outs for evidence?

2) Our air does not get to our center until around 9-9:30 am. This would leave the loaders almost an hour and a half to finish loading their own stack-outs. Why do they need me to stay?

3) Is my prior agreement with management binding in any way? And if they wish to change the terms of my agreement in a harmful way towards me attending class what are my options for rebuttal? They were informed before hiring me that I was attending college and my schedule hours.

4) Do I file a grievance on management or my fellow UPSers? Honestly, the same 2-3 people are stacked out every day and their routes aren't even that bad, they simply don't work hard enough. They should be the one's held accountable, not me, for their lack of performance.

Along with this, I have trained 4-5 employees for unloading since I have started. I was not told this was voluntary in any way, or that I should be paid a premium for training employees. Under Section 5, Article 6 of the Master Agreement Contract I should be entitled to a pay increase and option on whether or not to train people. Is it too late for me to file a grievance on this? The last person I trained was 3 weeks ago.

Minstro

No outside agreements. They mean absolutely nothing.

Is there any way to ensure I can leave in a time manageable for me to get to class on time? If anything maybe file a leave of absence until December 7th when my semester ends? My schedule is only so tight because I was not awarded the job until right when my semester was starting and I couldn't change my class hours anymore. I even had to drop a 10am class so I could work here.

Is there any way to ensure I can leave in a time manageable for me to get to class on time? If anything maybe file a leave of absence until December 7th when my semester ends? My schedule is only so tight because I was not awarded the job until right when my semester was starting and I couldn't change my class hours anymore. I even had to drop a 10am class so I could work here.
They aren't going to let you have off at the busiest time of the year.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello,

I am currently working as an unloader during preload early AM. I'm normally done with the trucks by 8-8:30am. I have class starting at 11am on tuesday and thursday, and have to leave my house around 10:30am to get to campus on time.

Before this, I would unload the trucks then go and help loaders clear their stack-outs. This sometimes led to me being in the building until 9:45-10:00am. I spoke with the manager and told her that I would like a set time to leave. She told me she cannot do that, but I can leave once I finish unloading the trucks.

So today, I finished my trucks at 8:00am. We only get 4 trucks, 1 long and 3 shorts, and the 4th short had only about 50% in it. I'm getting ready to walk out and the preload supervisor asks me to stay and help load trucks and clear stack-outs. I told him that the general manager said I was allowed to leave if I finished unloading, and that I had asked her for a set time instead (as I had seen this issue occurring). He gets frustrated and yells at me to "just go home then". I left.

This leaves me with some questions:

1) I was under the impression that corporate SOP is to not have anyone stacked out, as it was an egress issue. Should I take pictures of these stack-outs for evidence?

2) Our air does not get to our center until around 9-9:30 am. This would leave the loaders almost an hour and a half to finish loading their own stack-outs. Why do they need me to stay?

3) Is my prior agreement with management binding in any way? And if they wish to change the terms of my agreement in a harmful way towards me attending class what are my options for rebuttal? They were informed before hiring me that I was attending college and my schedule hours.

4) Do I file a grievance on management or my fellow UPSers? Honestly, the same 2-3 people are stacked out every day and their routes aren't even that bad, they simply don't work hard enough. They should be the one's held accountable, not me, for their lack of performance.

Along with this, I have trained 4-5 employees for unloading since I have started. I was not told this was voluntary in any way, or that I should be paid a premium for training employees. Under Section 5, Article 6 of the Master Agreement Contract I should be entitled to a pay increase and option on whether or not to train people. Is it too late for me to file a grievance on this? The last person I trained was 3 weeks ago.

1. No stack outs = somebody’s wet dream

2.makin that dolla

3 no your SOL on that one stay until they tell you to go

4.not your place to say who’s working “hard” or not
Try this MYOB

5. Good luck with that

Minstro

1. No stack outs = somebody’s wet dream

2.makin that dolla

3 no your SOL on that one stay until they tell you to go

4.not your place to say who’s working “hard” or not
Try this MYOB

5. Good luck with that

My supervisor is constantly telling me to unload faster or joking saying I'm going to slow. So I'm supposed to deal with that while other people are allowed to slack off? I guess this is why companies stopped allowing unions, allows the lowest common denominator to carry a job they couldn't otherwise.

If it's going to affect my classes, then I'm fine finding another job. I don't plan on working at a package company my whole life, rather find a real job instead.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My supervisor is constantly telling me to unload faster or joking saying I'm going to slow. So I'm supposed to deal with that while other people are allowed to slack off? I guess this is why companies stopped allowing unions, allows the lowest common denominator to carry a job they couldn't otherwise.

If it's going to affect my classes, then I'm fine finding another job. I don't plan on working at a package company my whole life, rather find a real job instead.

Good idea

Now beat it!!!

542thruNthru

Stay in school smart guy. Wal-Mart is hiring. They are not union and only keep the best employees like you.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

giphy.gif

Wow, right into the anti-union diatribe. Attack your coworkers and blame them for your issues. Bet you a just a peach to work with

Faceplanted

Lots of people have had arrangements when I worked in the hub concerning getting out at a decent time for school or another job.

Talk to somebody above your direct sup and explain the situation.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If you have gotten this far in your thought process, why not just walk out each day when you need to go to get to your classes???

Call their bluff, let them fire you during peak season.
Why not if that's your mentality???

Minstro

If you have gotten this far in your thought process, why not just walk out each day when you need to go to get to your classes???

Call their bluff, let them fire you during peak season.
Why not if that's your mentality???

I would and will if it comes down to being late to class or picking up other's slack. However, I rather just find a reasonable solution, which I thought the one we had came to was instead of having to inconvenience my decent co-workers and of course finding elsewhere to work. The fact that they're telling me one thing then trying to enforce it selectively to suit them is what bothers me the most. Why bust my ass unloading to get down quicker if I'm going to have to stick around another hour to help people load since they can't keep up with the pace? I don't care what management's numbers look like to corporate. We're a small center it's honestly inexcusable how stacked out people get. I've loaded here before and never had as much trouble as the problem people here.

The #1 problem I've noticed is that all the old-timers here are so complacent in their jobs and have so much job security they don't even bother putting in any effort. Having your newer employees pay for your lack of effort because "they already paid their dues" is a crappy way to keep people working for you. No one wants to pick up after other people. If I was going to do that I might as well be a janitor.

Sorry if I hit a sore spot on ya'll, but the fact of the matter is in most corporate environments bottom-feeders and leeches get fired, sadly those people seem to get seniority at UPS.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I would and will if it comes down to being late to class or picking up other's slack. However, I rather just find a reasonable solution, which I thought the one we had came to was instead of having to inconvenience my decent co-workers and of course finding elsewhere to work. The fact that they're telling me one thing then trying to enforce it selectively to suit them is what bothers me the most. Why bust my ass unloading to get down quicker if I'm going to have to stick around another hour to help people load since they can't keep up with the pace? I don't care what management's numbers look like to corporate. We're a small center it's honestly inexcusable how stacked out people get. I've loaded here before and never had as much trouble as the problem people here.

The #1 problem I've noticed is that all the old-timers here are so complacent in their jobs and have so much job security they don't even bother putting in any effort. Having your newer employees pay for your lack of effort because "they already paid their dues" is a crappy way to keep people working for you. No one wants to pick up after other people. If I was going to do that I might as well be a janitor.

Sorry if I hit a sore spot on ya'll, but the fact of the matter is in most corporate environments bottom-feeders and leeches get fired, sadly those people seem to get seniority at UPS.
So what do you call the person who is trying to leave early every day when there is still a job to be done?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Solution: Go into management. PT supervision will look good on future resumes. You get to come and go as you please. And, best of all, you will be able to fire all the bottom-feeders and leeches at UPS.

Good luck.

rudy5150

Man up and work at your own pace. Dont worry about what others are doing. Have you ever even loaded a truck before? Unloading trailers is the easiest job at Ups

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
57E7BDB8-0F94-4B29-995D-3ECB0BED7138.gif

Minstro

So what do you call the person who is trying to leave early every day when there is still a job to be done?

Before started working here, the unload wasn't getting done until 9:30-10:30am every day. The pace I set is saving the company 2 hours of time and pay every single day. If they want to view me as going to school to better myself and future as copping out of work that's their own prerogative. Hurrying up and fixing slacker's stack-outs isn't a job to be done - it's letting management avoid keeping people accountable.

Man up and work at your own pace. Dont worry about what others are doing. Have you ever even loaded a truck before? Unloading trailers is the easiest job at Ups

I stated earlier I've loaded trucks before. There isn't a single job at UPS that is actually "difficult". Difficult to the type of people they hire maybe, but in the real world painting by number with boxes isn't considered a hard job. I've asked to load trucks before too, so I'm not burnt out by the time I'm heading to class. Their response is: "Sorry we need you in the truck, no one here can unload as fast as you do."

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Before started working here, the unload wasn't getting done until 9:30-10:30am every day. The pace I set is saving the company 2 hours of time and pay every single day. If they want to view me as going to school to better myself and future as copping out of work that's their own prerogative. Hurrying up and fixing slacker's stack-outs isn't a job to be done - it's letting management avoid keeping people accountable.

I stated earlier I've loaded trucks before. There isn't a single job at UPS that is actually "difficult". Difficult to the type of people they hire maybe, but in the real world painting by number with boxes isn't considered a hard job. I've asked to load trucks before too, so I'm not burnt out by the time I'm heading to class. Their response is: "Sorry we need you in the truck, no one here can unload as fast as you do."

Screw that PT management suggestion. Put your application in right now for CEO.

542thruNthru

Wow you are incredible! I say you teach them a lesson and quit. Keep your phone on though because I'm absolutely sure UPS CEO David Abney is going to be calling you to come back so you can save UPS tons of money. @TearsInRain You better watch out. This go getter is going to take your job! ;)