SurePost - Package delivered by local post office Status

johnbuck

On one of my packages the status is 'Package delivered by local post office'. In fact, that is the status for about 2 times on this past Thursday and once on Friday. How can it be 'delivered' more then once? I still have not received the package.

Can someone please expalin what 'Package delivered by local post office' really mean. I would think it means the package should be in my mailbox

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It means UPS delivered your package to the USPS location that delivers your mail.
The agreed time after that is within 2 business days but the USPS does pretty much what they want.
Hopefully the post office will get it to you by Christmas.
Complain to your shipper or next time, choose a defined service commitment rather than the cheapest.

Johney

That's what's called "free shipping" when you place an order. That $10 option for UPS doesn't look so bad now does it?

johnbuck

I figured as much. I was just hoping you all had some insight on why it might say 'Package delivered by local post office' multiple times. That damn USPS probbaly lost my package.

Also do you all know if i can do a will call pickup at the post office on a surepost package?

upschuck

Last year I had a surepost package sit there for a couple of weeks, every time we called them, they said they had no record of it because they had not scanned it yet. Worth a try, but make sure you have a USPS tracking number with you, and not the UPS one.

oldngray

nowhere special
I ordered a couple of things a couple of weeks ago. Same order but was shipped in 2 boxes. One was ground UPS and I had it in 2 days. The other went into the black hole of surepost for a week and a half and after it was delivered there was still no tracking info.

upswife75

I figured as much. I was just hoping you all had some insight on why it might say 'Package delivered by local post office' multiple times. That damn USPS probbaly lost my package.

Also do you all know if i can do a will call pickup at the post office on a surepost package?

It is likely one of two things. They either scanned it onto their vehicle to deliver and just didn't get to it or (the more likely scenario), they tried to deliver it but no one was home and it was 2 big for the mailbox so they took it back with them. Usually though, in that case, they would leave a notice. Of course, it's the post office, so who knows.

Johney

It is likely one of two things. They either scanned it onto their vehicle to deliver and just didn't get to it or (the more likely scenario), they tried to deliver it but no one was home and it was 2 big for the mailbox so they took it back with them. Usually though, in that case, they would leave a notice. Of course, it's the post office, so who knows.
Surepost is a service that is designed to have the package left anywhere,so it is very unlikely it was brought out then brought back. It is sitting in the USPS building waiting it's turn to go out whenever that may be.

upswife75

Surepost is a service that is designed to have the package left anywhere,so it is very unlikely it was brought out then brought back. It is sitting in the USPS building waiting it's turn to go out whenever that may be.

Not necessarily. I have known postal carriers here who have taken it back if they didn't feel it was safe to leave it. I think it really just depends on the individual carrier.

Johney

Not necessarily. I have known postal carriers here who have taken it back if they didn't feel it was safe to leave it. I think it really just depends on the individual carrier.
Now we know why they aren't making any money. There are agreements made with shippers regarding Surepost that no claims will ever be paid for these packages no matter where they are left at.

CaliforniaPaul

My neighbor informed me that him speaking with the local postal carrier said that the were instructed not to deliver SurePost but to leave a note that they can be picked up at the local post office. The neighbor was concerned that the parcel he was expecting was perishable. Film @ eleven!!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My neighbor informed me that him speaking with the local postal carrier said that the were instructed not to deliver SurePost but to leave a note that they can be picked up at the local post office. The neighbor was concerned that the parcel he was expecting was perishable. Film @ eleven!!

Big shippers gonna love that.