Survival Tips

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Think "smooth", rather than "fast". Making this a conscience goal can also break up the monotony of the day until "smooth" becomes a habit. As much as possible, keep load organized. Almost every route starts the day looking like a jumbled mess. As soon as you clear out some of the bulk, take a minute to see what ya got. This can help avoid "going back". (Nothing drove me crazier) Having a "professional" attitude will help avoid stress. Be confident, courteous and calm with your customers, even when you are a whirling dervish on the inside. I practised these things and had more than one supe tell me I was the smoothest they had ever ridden with. The supe that trained me stressed these points. I don't think drivers are taught this anymore. Take pride in knowing you did a good job, even if no one else seems to notice. Right or wrong UPS expects a professional job every day and doesn't see the need to "burp" the immature among us. Take personal pride and you will survive.

Great advice. I tell myself when I start getting wound up, "Safe and smooth; one package at a time; one stop at a time. When you finish the last one, you can go home. If it takes you longer, you make more money."

Also, I don't look at my times in the morning. It only puts more pressure on me. If I did my best than the times are irrelevant.

Do the things you can do during the day to relieve pressure. Break off and get the "saver," bulk stop, or early closer off. Sometimes, "trace" is impractical.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Because if you do punch someone in the face this is one way that you can be fired. Not many ways you can be fired for sure from UPS, but this is definitely one of them. Pulling a gun or knife on someone is another. Stealing another. A big one. Have integrity if you work at UPS.

It is important to clarify that if someone attacks you, or for whatevr reason tries to come at you with a punch you have EVERY right to defend yourself, including throwing a punch or two....just make sure you dont provoke someone first and dont throw the first punch.

And with stealing time this one is soooooo gray. There are drivers who have been fired for doing STUPID things....then there are others who have been disiplined for a minute or two of time, they were probably not even aware of two minutes. This is the area where more contract language is needed, thankfully most of the time the union is there to get your job back. This is an area where I watch things very closely, my lunch, breaks, etc. I give them no ammunition in this area since it can be such a fine line.

satellitedriver

Think "smooth", rather than "fast". Making this a conscience goal can also break up the monotony of the day until "smooth" becomes a habit. As much as possible, keep load organized. Almost every route starts the day looking like a jumbled mess. As soon as you clear out some of the bulk, take a minute to see what ya got. This can help avoid "going back". (Nothing drove me crazier) Having a "professional" attitude will help avoid stress. Be confident, courteous and calm with your customers, even when you are a whirling dervish on the inside. I practised these things and had more than one supe tell me I was the smoothest they had ever ridden with. The supe that trained me stressed these points. I don't think drivers are taught this anymore. Take pride in knowing you did a good job, even if no one else seems to notice. Right or wrong UPS expects a professional job every day and doesn't see the need to "burp" the immature among us. Take personal pride and you will survive.

Excellent post, I could not agree more.
Being safe can also become a habit, if you practice it daily.
Safety in all my actions during the day equates to my being able to come home at night and tell my wife I am home.
Tired, Yes, but at least I will be sleeping in my bed instead of a hospital bed.

UPBrownies05

UpserMD
I will say this, any of the young drivers or even pt timers that are comming in. Don't get you homelife involved in your work. Please keep you own habits at home that might cost you your job. We had a guy las year lost his job as a driver because the peak driver helper found him in the back of the package car smoking Marijuana. He told the on him and he was gone!!! Quick!

Last edited:

UPBrownies05

UpserMD
I will say this, any of the young drivers or even pt timers that are comming in. Don't get you homelife involved in your work. Please keep you own habits at home that might cost you your job. We had a guy last year lost his job as a driver because the peak driver helper found him in the back of the package car smoking Marijuana. He told the on him and he was gone!!! Quick!

Bentley

invest in an inversion table!!! its worth every penny, really relieves the stress on your back. I like that saying go slow and make dough. ha!:laugh: