Surviving as a UPS 'Jumper'

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It was a cute little PR puff piece. Fun to watch, but not very realistic. That is probably a good thing; if the general public actually got to see what goes on in a center or in the back of a package car during peak they might think twice before using us.

Re-Raise

I wouldn't object, but the video made is far more beneficial to the company. Smoke and mirrors folks, nothing to see here, move along.

I like the part where the driver talks about how many people give him cash tips. Hopefully it will encourage the people on my route to pick up the pace a little.

Cookies and candy and stuff are nice but Re-Raise would prefer currency...

UPSGUY72

They filmed it in Saddle Brook, NJ. Densely populated Northern NJ, I'm an off the street feeder driver but all the package cars I see going out are sagging down in the back. They also used Saddle Brook for a Discovery Channel segment with a lobster NDA delivery from Clearwater Foods.

I thought the lobster episode was filmed at he Louisville, Kentucky hub where Clearwater food there only us lobster holding station becauce the of the location on the HUB.

Anyways that package car looked liked the back of most FEDEX trucks I see EMPTY.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
yeah,, that was dumb at every angle and a insult to drivers,,if that was my helper and she moved that slow id punch her in the mouth and tell her to hit the road,, and that driver is not getting paid to chat all day with customers is he?? the fact that corporate still was concerned with spc during peak should have been the topic

bluehdmc

I thought the lobster episode was filmed at he Louisville, Kentucky hub where Clearwater food there only us lobster holding station becauce the of the location on the HUB. EMPTY.

The lobsters left from Louisville, the delivery was in North NJ out of the Saddle Brook hub.

P

pickup

Things like this segment are not meant to be an expose' of UPS or even a documentary of exact conditions.

The audience is NOT UPSers. In this case, its the WSJ audience.

Look what they communicated:
- Drivers are professional
- Drivers work very hard
- Drivers are loved by their customers
- Drivers go out of their way to ensure people properly get their packages
- A helpers job is hard

That's a good story.

I have been involved in a few things like this over my career. They take a long time to film. They setup the scene, get things positioned, rehearse, etc.

There is no way to get it to really match reality. Its not supposed to.

I think they did a good job. Made our people look great.

and who doesn't like a cute blond in ups browns? Do you think the wall street journal would have used someone less photogenic?

Calypso

My first job for UPS was as a jumper, I worked like crazy the whole month-it was so much fun. I trained for the job by running, never had a single ache. My first truck I worked on had more packages than the driver had ever seen. I worked my butt off and it was exiting and fun. (Running up hills sideways in the rain and all that!)
The drivers pointed out interesting places to me (I was new in town).
I work as a pkg. handler now and am happy to work. It's all good:)