swing driver question?

Oldfart

Seniority has nothing to do with it.
We actually found out later it did. Senior employee got the better shifts.

My station lets the swings work out among themselves what routes they cover. As long as there is a butt in the seat, our managers don't care whose it is.

Swngdrvr

There's been many times I've scanned an entire truck, only to be moved to another route. The day I got hurt I was doing FO that I wasn't scheduled for.

My station has created routes solely for bulk pickups. A swing is scheduled for it everyday. That's the first person they pull when someone calls out. Since we're already scheduled to work we can't turn it down. If nobody calls in and there's no bulk pickup for that day, we go home.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We actually found out later it did. Senior employee got the better shifts.

My station lets the swings work out among themselves what routes they cover. As long as there is a butt in the seat, our managers don't care whose it is.

Seniority has nothing to do with that they can/can't do to a swing.

Oldfart

Once again you would be wrong
You already said managers can use discretion then you say seniority has nothing to do with swings and what rts they run. Have you visited every station and checked their policies?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Once again you would be wrong
You already said managers can use discretion then you say seniority has nothing to do with swings and what rts they run. Have you visited every station and checked their policies?
Policy is set at the Corporate level.
Station practices are not policy.
Seniority endows no privilege in this situation.
At least you are consistently wrong.

SmithBarney

Correct, Corporate Policy is "operational needs"
Corporate in these situations gives local Ops the authority to do what they need to, to get the job done. Ideally all Swings have enough route knowledge but as you probably know there are swings with tons of route knowledge, and others without.. it doesn't matter what your seniority is when it comes to swing route knowledge.

Overall Seniority is only good for pretty much just Vacation Bid, LWOP, Route Bid.

Oldfart

We already had 1 swing post how seniority played into his schedule so his post already showed you would be mistaken. Scheduling is left up to local management. I would love to see someone complain to Mathew Thornton that they didn't like the route they were put on. Scheduling is a decision that each station makes. Corporate makes policies, local management makes decisions that affect their operation.

Oldfart

Actually it did, during vacation season I always got to cover the routes that were in by 3:30-4:30 and I was also never scheduled to work splits
This gentleman here showed that his seniority played into how swings were scheduled. It's a shame you were wrong, but it happens.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
This gentleman here showed that his seniority played into how swings were scheduled. It's a shame you were wrong, but it happens.
The OP asked about Policy. POLICY doesn't give seniority the weight to demand a schedule change, even if local management honors seniority.
Shame you can't grasp that simple concept.

Oldfart

Local management decisions and policy mean 2 different things. Can't believe you haven't figured that out by now. Like I said, call Mathew when you don't like your rt and see what the result is. Bummer

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Local management decisions and policy mean 2 different things. Can't believe you haven't figured that out by now. Like I said, call Mathew when you don't like your rt and see what the result is. Bummer
You just agreed with me. If I am the most senior and don't like my route, Matthew won't intercede.
War of wits with an unarmed man. Bummer.

Oldfart

You just agreed with me. If I am the most senior and don't like my route, Matthew won't intercede.
War of wits with an unarmed man. Bummer.
Too bad we are 1 man short in your case. Bummer

Like I said earlier. 1 senior swing already proved your theory wrong. Bummer Bummer

Local manager is gonna do what they want. If they want to use seniority to assign routes, they will.

Last edited by a moderator:

overflowed

I was a swing the whole time at Fedex. This really is a station to station deal. I've been at a bunch and it comes down to the station ops managers. I've been at 3 stations and knew 90 plus % of routes. The larger the station the more leeway you have if you're a good swing. Less swings less leeway. Just how it is. I've demanded time off at the largest station and have it been granted for personal reasons , no one to cover they said . At the smaller stations wouldn't work. But yes , I've been passed around mornings all the time when the work group manager wanted the numbers to look good. Just tell them it's their bad if you have lates , not your fault if you leave at 9.30 because of their call.