Taken out of service!!!

Braveheart

File one grievance for wrongful firing/disqualification ASAP.

File another for the accident protesting it.

Always check with your local union first.

You made need only one with both in one.

Since there was an injury that needed medical attention away from accident you may be in trouble.

How did you hit the train in the first place? Were you backing? If so why was he driving behind you?

Braveheart

Thank you for all your input and support. I have after 6 work days at home a meeting with the union, labor mgr, and DM. I hope this all comes to an end tommorrow. fyi- DM wants to keep me out 10 days just because he can!!! I have learned much from this experience and I know who has my back and who doesn't. One step at a time right now I just want this behind me and get back to work. Then back pay or not I will recoup my lost wages.
It seems the union has gone lame. In the old days they would have demnded back pay and told you to sit out as long as you can.

Now they take it on the chin and never get back pay around here anymore.

They talk all tough at first and then buckle when it comes to the back pay.

Get your job back. Make the money up in other ways. The biggest thing is that you finally realize there is no trusting management and no reson to bend over backwards for managers that are so willing to fire a guy just to make themselves look good.

I had a guy do a similar thing to me and that manager got driven out of UPS by a whole bunch of us working together.

Good luck.

chopstic

I think it would have been much more benificial for you to let their initial termination stand for 30 days and then file a wrongful termination grievance. That way they would have to pay you back wages if it is found they were wrong. AND their statue of limitations for disciplining you for the accident would be over, so you would get a one month paid vacation and no disciplinary action.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It seems the union has gone lame. In the old days they would have demnded back pay and told you to sit out as long as you can.

Now they take it on the chin and never get back pay around here anymore.

They talk all tough at first and then buckle when it comes to the back pay.
The problem is not the union, its that we only seem to get part of the truth. It seems that people think they can decide what the steward needs to hear.

Then we go to the hearing with guns blazing, only to find that the hourly has forgotten a lot of the serious details, or at least "forgot" to tell us. and in many cases, it changes the whole picture.

Just like in this case. Why can the manager keep him off 10 days, just because he can. What is not being told here that they know, but we do not.

d

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
MY GOD,WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COMPANY???????????THEY GO OUT OF THERE WAY(WAY OUT)TO OVER INDULGE,PLAY OUT,FABRICATE,AND WHATEVER ELSE TO FIRE "US" DRIVERS. I WISH WE COULD ALL" WALK" I'M SICK OF THIS COMPANY'S TACTICS......................................:angry:

CapsLock.jpg

caps-lock.jpg

:funny:

"Get your job back. Make the money up in other ways. The biggest thing is that you finally realize there is no trusting management and no reason to bend over backwards for managers that are so willing to fire a guy just to make themselves look good."

That basically is how I feel after meeting with DM and Labor Mgr today.

You guys are gonna love this............

I was given two options: Go back to work with no back pay or be fired for workplace violence and fight them if I choose at the panel two months from now!

Hmmm.... I swear to fricken god if I had a month more of savings or won the lottery last night I would have made them fire me!!!

So I chose to go back to work today and use my vacation that is next week and just work it since I've been off anyway. Plus my mgr owes me a day so I'm getting paid for the six days anyway. So I did manage to walk away with not even a warning letter so friend..kum. Plus I can make up on top of that with all the OT I want.... :devil3:

helenofcalifornia

And that is a classic case of how UPS takes a good employee who has never been a problem and turns them sour on the company. How many times have we seen this happen? Sorry Dill you had to go through this. Didn't leave you with much choice, especially when the Union is so weak in your area. What a bunch of BS.

gandydancer

I know in #5 it says that a person will continue to work if an accident happens inside the building, but can anyone here imagine a driver hitting and killing another employee inside the building being offered inside work while it is being investigated?...

If there were a fatality it would be serious under #1, so the fact that it wasn't serious under #5 wouldn't matter. Same thing if he were cited or hit an airplane hard enough.

You know, the work place violence still has me scratching my head...

Me too. They allege he tried to run him down with the package car but missed him by 40' (four irreg carts)? Doesn't make sense.

I think it would have been much more benificial for you to let their initial termination stand for 30 days and then file a wrongful termination grievance. That way they would have to pay you back wages if it is found they were wrong. AND their statue of limitations for disciplining you for the accident would be over, so you would get a one month paid vacation and no disciplinary action.

Yeah, right. See StevetheUPSguy. Dilligafah has eight years in. He's going to trust the Union not to use his case as a trading card and trust the arbitrator that's chosen to be able to find his ass using both hands? Why?

UPSNewbie

If there were a fatality it would be serious under #1, so the fact that it wasn't serious under #5 wouldn't matter. Same thing if he were cited or hit an airplane hard enough.

Me too. They allege he tried to run him down with the package car but missed him by 40' (four irreg carts)? Doesn't make sense.

Yeah, right. See StevetheUPSguy. Dilligafah has eight years in. He's going to trust the Union not to use his case as a trading card and trust the arbitrator that's chosen to be able to find his ass using both hands? Why?

The OP has bad eyesight... :funny:

The whole situation sucks and the outcome is bitter sweet. This has changed me and my outlook on the company. I am no longer their go boy.
For now on I will only look out for my best interest and treat this job like its only a paycheck. No more favors, no more hustle, just a fair days work for a fair days pay.

gandydancer

The whole situation sucks and the outcome is bitter sweet. This has changed me and my outlook on the company. I am no longer their go boy.
For now on I will only look out for my best interest and treat this job like its only a paycheck. No more favors, no more hustle, just a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Well, it's a good lesson, but you're overshooting. You're going to spend a lot of your life at this job, probably, so it's a good idea to see it as more than a paycheck. But your tribe is all the people who help you make the enterprise work and contribute to your feeling that you're accomplishing something worthwhile and being rewarded for it. At UPS that includes a remarkably small proportion of the management.

Loco170Brownie

Welcome to the disgruntled majority, its rare it takes 8 years, nut now some of those older guys you may have thought of as trouble makers or complainers make sense now dont they.

:surprised: :knockedout:

Loco170Brownie

Quick story...

A couple years ago I refused to delever 2 over 70 pieces without help, the day after I was fired for "Integrity issues" They said they found a package on my truck that had not been scanned or delivered, so I must have decided not to deliver it and buried it in my pick ups. They then showed me a photo of the package, it had a PAL on it for the day in question, and the next day. I asked if they had found the package on unloading my car the night it was missed and photoed it then, they said yes. Think on that for a sec..............how could it have the next days PAL on it if the photo was on the day in question? I asked for a copy of the package, it was given to me as I was being told to go cry to the Union. I was fired.

Got rehired 3 days later, had to file for back pay. They refused to pay, said it would need to go to the board, I said cool lets go. A week before the board my center manager offerd 2 days pay to end it, the logic being I would have to take a day off to fight for 3 anyway and this would be about the same. I tried to explain it wasnt really about the money, but about not being able to treat people that way. Oh and I was on vacation that week anyway with no plans :happy-very:
Got the 3 days and a fun day at the board.... He didnt show up, sent some other lacky.

Well it has taken me 16 years, 8 fulltime to finally realize that some of the people I work with whom I thought were trouble makers are the few that have been mistreated and beaten by the company also. I guess you just dont realize the full extent til you have felt the wrath of the company, are made into a so called trouble maker yourself, and treated like just another expendable employee. This experience has changed my whole outlook and feelings. I hope some day that I at least don't hate waking up and cringing about going to work. I truely loved this job at one point in my career and I hope to find a happy medium again some day. I really appreciate all the support from this site. Thanks.

fethrs

I am the only dilli here.[/quote]

Dilli I am curious about the similar names, is there any reason or connection?