Tales from the 800 #

chadwick

Hi UPSers! I take calls on the 800 # every day and wanted to share some stories and ask some questions (since the 800 line is sort of disconnected from the centers and drivers)

The #1 reason people call in to complain is when the driver doesn't knock/ring... Do you always knock/ring? Is there anytime you don't knock/ring?

Also not receiving a notice is a big one.

People also get ticked off if they leave a note for the driver and the instructions aren't followed (leave package, leave with neighbor, etc)

I've heard from some customers that the driver won't deliver to their neighborhood without "security"...can anyone shed some light on this? Assuming it's very unsafe area, but any other specifics on why this would be? Who is the security? Another driver or sup?

What's the deal with missing packages? Do they count against you in any way? Or after a certain number of lost packages, you get disciplined? How does it work?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hi UPSers! I take calls on the 800 # every day and wanted to share some stories and ask some questions (since the 800 line is sort of disconnected from the centers and drivers)

The #1 reason people call in to complain is when the driver doesn't knock/ring... Do you always knock/ring? Is there anytime you don't knock/ring?

Shoot, if I can get close enough and the package is small enough, I don't even get out of the truck.

Also not receiving a notice is a big one.

We don't got no steenking notice!

People also get ticked off if they leave a note for the driver and the instructions aren't followed (leave package, leave with neighbor, etc)

Yes, ma'am. No problem for me to be at the other end of town between 2:21 and 2:48 to leave it at your sister's house.

I've heard from some customers that the driver won't deliver to their neighborhood without "security"...can anyone shed some light on this? Assuming it's very unsafe area, but any other specifics on why this would be? Who is the security? Another driver or sup?

Umm, maybe somewhere "secure" to leave them?

What's the deal with missing packages? Do they count against you in any way? Or after a certain number of lost packages, you get disciplined? How does it work?

Depends on why they are becoming missing. (See "security".)

chadwick

No, I'm not a troll, just curious...

I don't always believe the caller, they make up crap all the time. You wouldn't believe the stuff people call in for. I had to take a complaint from a guy because he moved his car for the driver to get access and the driver didn't wave back...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Same thing with ringing and knocking. If NO driver EVER rings, maybe your doorbell/buzzer is broke.

Ill admit on rural route I leave 75% of the stuff at the garage door if the weather is nice. Most don't use their front door much anymore and if they don't hear my 30 seconds of honking while backing because they have nowhere to turn around they probably would t hear the doorbell.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I love the liar's that call in and say they didn't get a delivery notice. A few I have even called them out on it too. They just want us to come back and make another attempt so they either don't have to travel to the center to pick it up or stay home another day to wait for said package.

And like I said, if it's someone I at least kind of know I will ask them why they lied and said I didn't leave a notice and then make them feel bad for it by telling them that I will now have some sort of discipline brought upon me by my supervisor because a customer called and claimed I didn't do my job properly. It only happens once.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When someone lives in a 750k home and the doorbell is broken, physically cracked to the point it could cut you, I don't ring. I will however knock on the 12ft tall door as I leave the package at the front door, walking 120yrds back to the truck, dodging dog poop the size of cow patties. These are the people that were in the west wing of their house selling their UPS stock in fears of a strike that called in to you, telling you their x-wife's, brother's, cousin's golf caddy knows Scott and wanted to know why the driver didn't ring the bell.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd also like to touch on the point of the "didn't follow directions". You see this?
image.jpg
When I check this box it means this, the part I highlighted.

image.jpg
Fully read the instructions here and pass this information to your fellow co-workers that we aren't responsible to teach people 4th grade reading comprehension. Putting "void" across the signature line doesn't help when they simply pick another option or hand write a note for me to leave it xxxx. This is when they get a second note with the same instructions and half of them get the message on the third delivery.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I thought this thread was going to be about calling the UPS Helpline?
Six of one, half dozen of another.
Equally effective.

upschick95

I am sorry but the 1 800 number is a jokes. Those poor people have no clue as to what really goes on anywhere in operations of UPS. And I think it's BS that they knowingly pass along a BS complaint.

chadwick

I'd also like to touch on the point of the "didn't follow directions". You see this?
View attachment 8749
When I check this box it means this, the part I highlighted.

View attachment 8752
Fully read the instructions here and pass this information to your fellow co-workers that we aren't responsible to teach people 4th grade reading comprehension. Putting "void" across the signature line doesn't help when they simply pick another option or hand write a note for me to leave it xxxx. This is when they get a second note with the same instructions and half of them get the message on the third delivery.

I know that notice like the back of the hand, and have to explain it to people all day every day, trust me, I know.

Customer calling at just after 5: "Where is the driver? He said he'd be here between 2-5."

Infonotice marked C: "Yeah what are your drivers smoking? I signed the back of this notice for him to leave it and the driver ignored it and stuck another notice over the first one!"

However, when there's no sig req by the shipper, and the notice is marked B people get pissed. Or if it's marked A or B and they leave a neighbor's address (within walking distance) and it's ignored.

barnyard

KTM rider
I do not mark a time anymore. PAS/EDD has made it pretty much impossible to predict when someone will be back at a resi stop.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I do not mark a time anymore. PAS/EDD has made it pretty much impossible to predict when someone will be back at a resi stop.

Sometimes I just mark all the times. Who knows who is going to have it tomorrow and when they will get there.