Talladega here I come!

M.Johnson1354

It's friday the 27th of february, and i will be leving tommorrow morning for Talladega, Al for the races this weekend. Anyone else going/looking forward to it? Go Dale, Go!

wkmac

Forget the big track and go up the street to the best racing around at Talladega Short Track. Some great dirt track racing there and I sure miss the World of Outlaw races they use to have at the track.

And by chance if any of you guys are into dirt racing (I'm a huge fan of it myself having grown up with the sport) on June 6th at the infamous Eldora Speedway, many of NASCAR's biggest names will hit the dirt including a return to the dirt by Jeff Gordon who last raced on dirt in 91'. This race will also be carried live on HBO's pay per view with the money raised going to charity and I think Tony Stewart who owns Eldora said the Victory Junction Gang is the charity but don't quote me on that specific charity.

SpeedwayMedia.com, Nextel Prelude to the Dream will boost BIG names

I was hoping to attend the Southern Nationals myself but I have 2 daughters in a Symphony Orchestra with concerts last night, a rehearsal today and another concert tomorrow night so this weekend is about music not horsepower. Besides, drag racing ain't as much fun without Big Daddy!

:wink:

Enjoy DEGA!

govols019

You smell that?
I'll be at my local dirt track tonight to see what I can tear up. Didn't put a scratch on the car last weekend. Hope I can keep that up.

wkmac

I'll be at my local dirt track tonight to see what I can tear up. Didn't put a scratch on the car last weekend. Hope I can keep that up.

Hey Vols, I'm gonna go out on a limb and chance it but your local track ain't Atomic Speedway is it? Or Bull's Gap?

OR, OR, dare I say, Bristol? :lol:

We did go up to Bristol the 2 years they put down the dirt and watch WoO but I heard the first year with the late models was almost an all nighter. BTW: What class you run (late model, limited late model, sportsman, bomber or economy, etc. etc. for examples? I know up in the PA area (Port Royal & Selengrove I think, I also think I butchered Selengrove spelling, sorry to any Posse fans) they have or did have a class called Thunder cars which from what I could tell was like our Super Bomber class which is a kinda intermediate entry level class. Could also have been at New Egypt in NJ too. Ah Heil, you know, up that way!
:tongue_sm

Good luck racing tonight and always remember:

Dirt is for racing and asphalt is for getting there!

:thumbup1:

Overpaid Union Thug

I gave up on NASCAR. I've tried watching 4 or 5 times over the last 24 years and ended up getting bored with it before the season was even half over. For some reason watching cars drive in circles for hours doesn't seem to be able to hold my attention. I actually like the wrecks but that could just result in injurys or death and I like when driver tempers flare but NASCAR wants want's everyone to be perfect mannored limousine drivers.

Dirt tracks offer more entertainment value for me. My friends and I used to go to the local dirt track and we'd buy beer and sit at the top of the bleachers and totally ignore the race but would get a kick out of all the different types of people that would be filtering in and out of there. Mainly the rednecks and white trash. Man what a show! We'd count mullet hair cuts and wife beater t-thirts. We even thought about taking pictures and submitting them to one of those "whitetrash" websites.

My latest attempt at NASCAR was when UPS became Jarrett's sponsor. He did pretty good that first year but as you all know he has become an embarrassment. I like Harvick and Stewart but I still can't watch a race without getting bored.

Ms Spoken

There will be a bunch of us "UPS Drivers" at the Fall Talladega track. I will be easy to find because I will have a orange shirt on. :lol:

govols019

You smell that?
I run what we call the Hummer class. It's a basically stock 4-cyl class. Gonna have to get a new car. Mines a SOHC car and I just can't beat the DOHC cars.

Didn't do so hot tonight. Blew a right front in the heat and I didn't have a spare with me. Also am losing anti-freeze from somewhere but we couldn't find the leak in the dark. God, I pray it's not a head gasket.

Overpaid Union Thug

That's just plain un-American right there.

So my friends and I get a kick out of watching the fans and not the race. What's un-American about that? It's like watching "Hee Haw" but live and in person with front row seats. LOL. Plus there are so many other types of people there but the "Mullets" make up the bulk of the audience at those dirt tracks. That's how it was at all the dirt tracks I've been to anyway.

Ms Spoken

And how, please tell us or me, how you pulled that off?

Since the race is in Oct. and most drivers pick summer vacations then the group of us work it out. I will have to burn a opt day on that Monday so we can travel back home but, I have the week before so we can take our camper. We have a blast pulling the camper to Talladega on Wed and then back home on Monday. All together we will have at least 5 campers going and we block off a section in a huge square with the camper doors facing the inside. To make is easy on everyone each camper takes turns cooking a meal for everyone. Come join us there is always room for more UPS brown blood. :w00t:

Just remember what happens in Tally stays in Tally. LOL

wkmac

That's cool vols!

Don't knock the slower cars because they in many cases provide the best racing of the night. I did like one move you made where it looks like #40 is driving in hard to get position on you and you kinda diamonded the corner and a cross over move and kept the spot because he just drove it in to hard.

One piece of advice on a silly note. At one point you had #40 on your outside and I think #22 in the black car carrying the speed on the high line coming around you both. You had perfect position on #40 on his left rear quarter to tag him and then turn down to the inside to avoid his spin which would also have taken out the #22 as well. If you could survive the fight in the pits after the race, it's a sweet way to pick up 2 spots with one move!

Rubbin' is racin'!
:lol: :lol:

I really hate that line!

:wink:

govols019

You smell that?
The guy in the 40 is about 6'6" and 300 lbs. He also paid for my roll cage and painted my car. The last thing I wanted to do was hit him. :lol:

His car doesn't look so pretty after this weekend. Him and another car got together right in front of me and I was ducking the sparks that were coming off them. I got so caught up in watching them beat and bang off each other that I forgot we were racing. Then I thought Hell, I got to go, passed them both only to blow a tire while I was doing it.