TAW employee working before higher seniority employee?

Nado

Is it possible that a TAW employee who’s lower in seniority work before a higher seniority employee? And also how long can a employee be on TAW?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes only because an employee on light duty is usually not performing the same work as the higher seniority employee. Now, if the employee on light duty is sitting in the jump seat while a supervisor is driving, and a higher seniority employee has been sent home, that would be a problem.

30 days unless mutually agreed upon by both the Company and Union.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is it possible that a TAW employee who’s lower in seniority work before a higher seniority employee? And also how long can a employee be on TAW?
TAW (Temporary Alternate Work) is an alternative to Workers-Compensation.
It is in place to give the Company an avenue to avoid a loss time injury.
In my opinion, it in no way gives the Company an avenue to violate seniority provisions, nor does it "reclassify" the injured employee.
Therefore, while an employee is on TAW (for a maximum of 30 days, with a Company option to apply for an extension), they remain in their classification, at their appropriate pay rate, and with their spot on the seniority list intact.

If they are working a junior employee on TAW ahead of you, I would most certainly grieve it.

BTW, never listen to @UpstateNYUPSer in matters of the contract.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is it possible that a TAW employee who’s lower in seniority work before a higher seniority employee?

Yes.

Only because, the TAW language provides for a flexible start time.

"Employees shall be provided their guaranteed hours with a start time no more than two (2) hours earlier or two (2) hours later than their normal start time for the duration of TAW, provided the work is available."

And also how long can a employee be on TAW?

Depends on your supplemental language or Local practice.

Typically 30 days. After that, it can be considered a permanent position and

subject to Local bidding procedures.

Yes only because an employee on light duty is usually not performing the same work as the higher seniority employee. Now, if the employee on light duty is sitting in the jump seat while a supervisor is driving, and a higher seniority employee has been sent home, that would be a problem.

30 days unless mutually agreed upon by both the Company and Union.

BTW, never listen to @UpstateNYUPSer in matters of the contract.

Ordinarily, I would question @UpstateNYUPSer on contractual statements.

But, how is he wrong.... in what he posted ?

-Bug-