Tax Question

Ravfan01

Tax season is soon around the corner and the past few year I have been going to a website to view my W-2 instead of waiting for it in the mail. I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the site, I seem to have forgotten it. I don't know if its different in each state. I work in PA.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can also use your end of year pay stub to do your taxes.

Starting this year, you need to file a 1095-C (proof of health insurance) with your taxes. Cannot due them early without this form.

I believe it is due in February. Might as well wait for your W-2 which is due by January 31.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Starting this year, you need to file a 1095-C (proof of health insurance) with your taxes. Cannot due them early without this form.

I believe it is due in February. Might as well wait for your W-2 which is due by January 31.

IRS announced that we can start filing on the 19th of January. There was no mention of the 1095-C. My tax software simply asked whether or not I had coverage.

oldngray

nowhere special
Do insurance companies inform the IRS who is covered? Or is it more of an honor system where you just need to say you have insurance similar to how insurance is handled for driver's licenses?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do insurance companies inform the IRS who is covered? Or is it more of an honor system where you just need to say you have insurance similar to how insurance is handled for driver's licenses?

Good question. Based solely on the questionnaire on my tax software I would say it works on the honor system but I'm sure there is communication between the IRS and insurers.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Not one Republican vote on this mess that is Obamacare.

Kae3106

You can also use your end of year pay stub to do your taxes.

No, no, no, no, no!! I think you and I have this discussion every year but advising people to do their taxes based on their paystub is flat out wrong. Everyone's tax situation is different. http://blogs.hrblock.com/2014/01/16/tax-myth-using-a-paystub-to-file-instead-of-a-w-2/

Your paystub shows your gross earnings. This may or may not be the same as the taxable earnings in the W-2. On mine, my YTD total on my paystub will not match my Box 1 Federal taxable wages and there will a completely different number in Box 3 & 5 FICA and Medicare taxable wages. This is because I have certain pre-tax items such as insurance premiums, HSA contributions, 401k contributions, etc.

You and I may be tax savvy enough to know what items to back out of gross wages to arrive at the proper taxable totals but not everyone is. Places like H&R Block, Liberty, Jackson Hewitt, etc will not file your tax return until you have the W-2. They may run a calculation based on the paystub but they will not press the button to actually file without all of the official documentation.

Kae3106

The 1095-C is not coming from ADP. A different company was contracted to provide the forms so they will be arriving completely separate from the W-2s. (I can't WAIT until we start getting the phone calls about "missing" 1095-Cs because they weren't with the W-2)