TCD 30 days question

Shift 2

I recently qualified as a TCD and was told congratulations on my 30 day that I was qualified and my packet was done. The problem is I didn’t drive on day 30 I just drove 29 days and I also didn’t sign for the last day on my packet. I have 9 years seniority as a part timer which gives me the RTW of a lot of other TCDs maybe even all of them. I’ve had 2 different stewards check with my on road sup to make sure he wasn’t bull :censored2:ting me to make sure my packet was signed off on and that I actually qualified and they both were told yes I am by management. My on road sup didn’t give a reason for my packet to be done early but I do rebember hearing that after you scratch more than 5 times they can qualify you early and I made 6 or 7. I also know that there are trying to train more people so I believe they just wanted to get me off the route. I was told recently that there was no work for me and I would have to work my old pt job until peak begins but there working other lower seniority tcds while I’m on preload. My question is would it be wise to file a grievance and get paid for everyday I’m laid off or should I wait to work 1 more day after peak is over to make sure I have my 30 days complete?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I recently qualified as a TCD and was told congratulations on my 30 day that I was qualified and my packet was done. The problem is I didn’t drive on day 30 I just drove 29 days and I also didn’t sign for the last day on my packet. I have 9 years seniority as a part timer which gives me the RTW of a lot of other TCDs maybe even all of them. I’ve had 2 different stewards check with my on road sup to make sure he wasn’t bull :censored2:ting me to make sure my packet was signed off on and that I actually qualified and they both were told yes I am by management. My on road sup didn’t give a reason for my packet to be done early but I do rebember hearing that after you scratch more than 5 times they can qualify you early and I made 6 or 7. I also know that there are trying to train more people so I believe they just wanted to get me off the route. I was told recently that there was no work for me and I would have to work my old pt job until peak begins but there working other lower seniority tcds while I’m on preload. My question is would it be wise to file a grievance and get paid for everyday I’m laid off or should I wait to work 1 more day after peak is over to make sure I have my 30 days complete?

When I was a TCD they could not train new TCDs without asking me to work first. This was critical because there were drivers with more seniority who could never get enough days in to go ahead of me.

I'm sure it's different in other locations, are the lower guys being trained? Is that allowed in your area?

Shift 2

When I was a TCD they could not train new TCDs without asking me to work first. This was critical because there were drivers with more seniority who could never get enough days in to go ahead of me.

I'm sure it's different in other locations, are the lower guys being trained? Is that allowed in your area?
Yes I cannot run a route if it’s a training route that someone is currently training on. But from what I understand I can bump a lower seniority TCD and be trained on that route instead but it’s almost peak and all of our on roads are training new peak drivers.

Shift 2

When does the volume begin to pick up for peak? I was told the first week of November is probably when I’ll be back

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Yes I cannot run a route if it’s a training route that someone is currently training on. But from what I understand I can bump a lower seniority TCD and be trained on that route instead but it’s almost peak and all of our on roads are training new peak drivers.

I knew 30 plus routes in roughly 3 years and wasn't trained on any of them. I was moved all over during training and they told me up front I didn't need to scratch routes to qualify...basically said if I could go out blind on multiple routes and make it back at a reasonable time they knew I could easily do one route.

The difference is I had a really good center manager and good supervisors. The other center in my building was a trainwreck and screwed everyone over... I was fortunate to be where I was.

$30 an hour vs. part-time...I would talk to your supervisor and tell him you want to work even if it's going out blind.

542thruNthru

I don't know where you are or what your supplement says but we have classification seniority here.

Which means even if you have 9 years seniority and the other guy has 2 years. If he was made a cover driver first he would drive first before you. You may want to make sure it's not the same there before filing.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Also, we didn't have training routes. Not sure why but out of 60+ routes either we didn't have them or they were never used. They started you on a loop and worked you around for area knowledge. Maybe start on 16d and learn b or e next when needed.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't know where you are or what your supplement says but we have classification seniority here.

Which means even if you have 9 years seniority and the other guy has 2 years. If he was made a cover driver first he would drive first before you. You may want to make sure it's not the same there before filing.

Mine was the same but once you got your 30 days you jumped ahead of him.

If I have 2 years and am waiting to qualify then you sign a TCD bid with 10 years, you would always be behind me as a TCD until you qualified.

Shift 2

I call the union hall and talked to 2 different stewards who told me once I qualify I my pt seniority is what gives me the RTW we don’t have a cover driver list

Shift 2

Also, we didn't have training routes. Not sure why but out of 60+ routes either we didn't have them or they were never used. They started you on a loop and worked you around for area knowledge. Maybe start on 16d and learn b or e next when needed.
Ill talk to them first before I file anything so I don’t come off like I’m trying to swing my nuts too much

WTFm8

Here seniority is by-class and is back-dated after qualifying to your first day of driver class.

TCD ahead of me qualified exact day I did but went to class a month before me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Grab a map and tell the boss you want to work

WTFm8

Just tell em you’re going to start filing if lower seniority drivers are working the day regardless of route knowledge.

These last 2 weeks I’ve done 3 splits and 1 route with no real area knowledge but all overlapping eachother.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go work the preload andbring your uniform in case they want you to work afterwards.
Marketing-Genius-1940x1940.jpg