Teamsters bosses resist calls to reopen UPS contract after 'no' vote

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Can you calm down with the profanity brother. Why must you insult those whose opinion differs ? Is the boss still sore ?
I’m sorry. I’ll try to reword my posts in the future. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Gargle on my nuts! Is that more calm for you? I’ll wait the normal 3 days for your response since you’re so far down the que.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
And using cucumber, as a metaphor for penis.... is so clever.

You "vote no" people in Local 623 must feel so embarrassed.

Lowest voting % in the entire country.

#623livesmatter....

I really enjoy those podcasts.

:biggrin:

-Bug-
Didn’t Jumbo retire? I guess @anHOURover still doesn’t realize he has zero pull in his local.

Justneedaname

You're a little confused my friend. You work for UPS Freight. You have a different contract then us. I do not believe they made a 2 tier driver for you guys.

Your contract was voted down and yes you should go to union meetings even though you don't have 45 punches yet.

I’ve learned a lot since that post. I haven’t worked all week so plenty of time to understand this mess. Also got screwed by the skeamsters already “go ahead and turn in your union card” said every steward “we promise they don’t take dues out until your off your probabtion period it just takes a couple weeks to get in the system so they want it ready” they said. I sign the pos card get dues taken out my check the very next week! And all this propaganda from skeamsters is ridiculous. THEY WORK FOR US THEY BRING US DEALS AND WE VOTE THEY DONT GET TO SHOVE BIASED OPINIONS DOWN OUR THROAT DONT EVER LET THESE :censored2:S FORGET WHO THEY WORK FOR! Had to get that off cus the majority seem to think they work for skeamsters and ups. I’m probably just gonna take my cdl and bounce I didn’t sign up to get :censored2:ed both ways I only got one :censored2:. If I gotta take a 10k pay cut then so be it :censored2: all this bs and I didn’t even get to work this week with a possibility of not working at all(which I totally agreed with a no vote the tyranny that is UPS must be controlled). Not what I signed up for. Then I’m getting phone calls non stop and texts telling me to go vote vote this vote that. Suck my gosh darn dick skeamsters im not even thru my 45 punches I CANT vote BUT they sure had no problems taking my dues early and lying in my :censored2:ing face. Feels good to pay for protection and representation and not get it boys

542thruNthru

I’ve learned a lot since that post. I haven’t worked all week so plenty of time to understand this mess. Also got screwed by the skeamsters already “go ahead and turn in your union card” said every steward “we promise they don’t take dues out until your off your probabtion period it just takes a couple weeks to get in the system so they want it ready” they said. I sign the pos card get dues taken out my check the very next week! And all this propaganda from skeamsters is ridiculous. THEY WORK FOR US THEY BRING US DEALS AND WE VOTE THEY DONT GET TO SHOVE BIASED OPINIONS DOWN OUR THROAT DONT EVER LET THESE :censored2:S FORGET WHO THEY WORK FOR! Had to get that off cus the majority seem to think they work for skeamsters and ups. I’m probably just gonna take my cdl and bounce I didn’t sign up to get :censored2:ed both ways I only got one :censored2:. If I gotta take a 10k pay cut then so be it :censored2: all this bs and I didn’t even get to work this week with a possibility of not working at all(which I totally agreed with a no vote the tyranny that is UPS must be controlled). Not what I signed up for. Then I’m getting phone calls non stop and texts telling me to go vote vote this vote that. Suck my gosh darn dick skeamsters im not even thru my 45 punches I CANT vote BUT they sure had no problems taking my dues early and lying in my :censored2:ing face. Feels good to pay for protection and representation and not get it boys

The money they are taking out of your check may be initiation fees. Everyone had to pay them to join the Union.

If you're not happy with the situation then by all means leave. You joined at a tough time and have to deal with it.

Justneedaname

I’m most likely just venting. As sad as it is getting my cdl an endorsments putting my years in to get eco exp all this time I put in was to go to ups freight! A good buddy over 6 years is the whole reason I pursued my cdl and ups freight because before then I was just a shipper at some warehouse he picked up at. Dude changed my life and will forever be a brother to me. I love the idea of the union, but everything is just so shady I feel like I’m fighting all the time just to be treated with a ounce of respect and not get screwed over. Hopefully they don’t strike an i get to keep my job at the bottom of seniority(selfish and totally not teamster like but my local is already defeated and scared to death anyway I fully realize a no vote is the right answer), I know it’s worth the grind but a guys gotta vent The benefits and money are too good to pass up and are leading the industry, but in 5 years with that contract who knows who could pass freight up in wages, and i also like many of you have a family that is depending on me. Honestly I made it to my dream and it’s a nightmare at the moment but if they let me start working soon I’ll probably sweep this :censored2: under the rug forget about it and try to keep my head down for 20 more punches. Pissed about dues being taken out but I did it to myself by trusting too much. I look forward to being a brother and improving this crap and spreading unity. We’re all in this together brothers and sisters.

Edit- I also appreciate any help, guidance, and replies and I full on read everything said to me and will apply it or think about it so feel free to drop knowledge on me I am totally all ears and wanted to say thanks in advance to anyone who does.

lolbr

You do realize this provision is an improvement over how it was worded in the past

Don’t you
The 50% 2/3 clause is a flawed improvement. At 50.00002% of turnout, there only needed to be 52,261 no votes for contract to be turned down. But if one less person voted, it would need 69,681 no votes to be turned down. Can you see how easy it is to game the vote for yes voters? If you know the vote will be close to 50%, it is better for some yes voters to not vote, as it will cause all no votes to be worth half as much.

It really needs changed. I would change it to (needs to have a lawyer overlook for correct wording):
(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the Local Union Executive Board or to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it. The failure of such membership to reject or ratify the final offer shall require a second vote no sooner than 35 days from the previous vote. The second vote shall be decided by a cumulative majority of those voting. The Local Union Executive Board may opt to return to negations instead of a second vote, starting this process over.

This would give ample notice to those who "choose" not to vote to change their minds. Not voting should be counted as an abstain, and should not affect the outcome. If 75% of the eligible voters choose to not vote, they are choosing to defer to the other 25% to determine the outcome for them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The 50% 2/3 clause is a flawed improvement. At 50.00002% of turnout, there only needed to be 52,261 no votes for contract to be turned down. But if one less person voted, it would need 69,681 no votes to be turned down. Can you see how easy it is to game the vote for yes voters? If you know the vote will be close to 50%, it is better for some yes voters to not vote, as it will cause all no votes to be worth half as much.

It really needs changed. I would change it to (needs to have a lawyer overlook for correct wording):
(2) If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the Local Union Executive Board or to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it. The failure of such membership to reject or ratify the final offer shall require a second vote no sooner than 35 days from the previous vote. The second vote shall be decided by a cumulative majority of those voting. The Local Union Executive Board may opt to return to negations instead of a second vote, starting this process over.

This would give ample notice to those who "choose" not to vote to change their minds. Not voting should be counted as an abstain, and should not affect the outcome. If 75% of the eligible voters choose to not vote, they are choosing to defer to the other 25% to determine the outcome for them.

I guess @BigUnionGuy’s not gonna respond

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I guess @BigUnionGuy’s not gonna respond

The Union leadership is not interested in improving anything, especially if it takes away even the slightest bit of their total control of any outcome. I suggest we actually define what an eligible member is so they can't fudge the numbers.

An eligible member should be anyone who has intitiated into the union, has been in good standing at least 6 months, and one or more of the following:

5 years of active membership, or

Attended at least one regular union meeting, or

Attended a union meeting specifically regarding the negotations.