Teamsters for a Democratic Union

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red , I thought they cut you off workmen's comp?

They did, and than I hired an attorney who not only got it turned back on, hes getting me $300 more a week because UPS had done the math wrong, plus now I will get a tax free settlement. Its kind of hard to screw someone when the IME agrees with the hurt employees doctors.

deleted9

They did, and than I hired an attorney who not only got it turned back on, hes getting me $300 more a week because UPS had done the math wrong, plus now I will get a tax free settlement. Its kind of hard to screw someone when the IME agrees with the hurt employees doctors.

Very impressed - NOT

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Very impressed - NOT
I think it's pretty damn funny myself :happy-very:
Good for you red!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Very impressed - NOT

Come on admit it, you are very impressed. An employee who is hurt and being treated like crap, stands up for themselves, gets an attorney, and is rewarded with an additional $1200 a month in lost salary plus a seetlement in the tens of thousands of dollars all because UPS wanted to play a little game. Check

deleted9

Come on admit it, you are very impressed. An employee who is hurt and being treated like crap, stands up for themselves, gets an attorney, and is rewarded with an additional $1200 a month in lost salary plus a seetlement in the tens of thousands of dollars all because UPS wanted to play a little game. Check

I'm sure you blame ups for your injury, just think every day you are out is another day you will have to make up to get your time in to retire with max benefits........ but i guess if you got a settlement that means your already out and won't be back.

tieguy

Banned

your example is a good one of what can happen and why we should keep our pissing contest out of court. Once it gets into court even the workmans comp version involving the ime we risk these types of decisions.
Your example though may not be indicative of the norm. There is a reason we fight everything. I would think we get more decisions that are ruled in our favor. If every decision rules against us then we obviously would do more to keep it our of the litigatin arena's.

JonFrum

I'm sure you blame ups for your injury, just think every day you are out is another day you will have to make up to get your time in to retire with max benefits........ but i guess if you got a settlement that means your already out and won't be back.

UPS is contractually required to continue contributing on Red's behalf into the pension fund for up to 12 months while he is out on Workers Compensation.

JonFrum

Right, but doesn't he have to have so many hours worked in a calendar year to get pension credit for that year?

Every fund's rules may differ slightly, but normally you need a certain number of contribution hours (mine is 1800) per year to earn a full year's pension credit. You don't have to actually work the hours though. The plan trustees don't care about the work, they just care about the hourly contributions to the fund.

UPS contributes to my pension fund for non-work hours I'm on vacation, out sick, off on a holiday or personal day, etc. All paid hours (up to 40 hours a week) trigger a pension contribution, and thus count toward earning pension credits.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

So you have already had your day and court and won?? Or the case has not been heard yet?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, so why has UPS started to breakdown the paychecks of our runner/gunners to include actual hours worked and hours that were paid as part of the 8 hour guarantee?

I have 2 FT co-workers who rarely if ever work over 7 hours per day; in fact, one of them had a 6.02 day this past week. UPS guarantees FT employees 8 hours so his paid day will show 6.02 hours worked and 1.98 hours guarantee. (The OR showed he was -.39 so he had 8 hours work) This guy probably has 5-6 hours guaranteed each week.

Will this have any affect on his pension?

Jon, as you can see, I am not nor claim to be a pension expert. Dave.

705red

Browncafe Steward

I do not blame UPS for my injury, it was a freak accident. I do blame them for dragging this out, here we are now in May and I have had 11 therapy appointments, 1 epidural, been seen by 2 of their Dr's and I have been denied everything originally only to have it approved later down the road which is dragging this out.

I receive 1 year of pension contributions while of on workers comp. So you see now where my frustartion ls. If this was an injury that happened out side of work, I would be back to work by now because my insurance would have approved everthing timely. I miss filing grievances! lol

deleted9

Every fund's rules may differ slightly, but normally you need a certain number of contribution hours (mine is 1800) per year to earn a full year's pension credit. You don't have to actually work the hours though. The plan trustees don't care about the work, they just care about the hourly contributions to the fund.

UPS contributes to my pension fund for non-work hours I'm on vacation, out sick, off on a holiday or personal day, etc. All paid hours (up to 40 hours a week) trigger a pension contribution, and thus count toward earning pension credits.

i believe being out on comp or disability voids those hours towards you pension, and you have to make them up to get max pension benefits

JonFrum

OK, so why has UPS started to breakdown the paychecks of our runner/gunners to include actual hours worked and hours that were paid as part of the 8 hour guarantee?

I have 2 FT co-workers who rarely if ever work over 7 hours per day; in fact, one of them had a 6.02 day this past week. UPS guarantees FT employees 8 hours so his paid day will show 6.02 hours worked and 1.98 hours guarantee. (The OR showed he was -.39 so he had 8 hours work) This guy probably has 5-6 hours guaranteed each week.

Will this have any affect on his pension?

Jon, as you can see, I am not nor claim to be a pension expert. Dave.
UPSers belong to about 21 different pension plans and each one is a little different.

Check your Supplement for a "Pension" Article that defines what hours trigger UPS contributions to your fund. [Full- and part-time Central Staters should see Article 34.]

Check your fund's Rules to see how many contribution hours are required to get a full year's pension credit. And if there are any exclusions or exceptions.

If anyone finds anything alarming, let us all know.

I need 1,800 contribution hours per year to earn a year's pension credit. Usually a full-timer has (up to) 2,080 contribution hours so even if I took a few weeks off with no pay, and thus no pension contributions, I would still get a full year of pension credit.

deleted9

UPSers belong to about 21 different pension plans and each one is a little different.

Check your Supplement for a "Pension" Article that defines what hours trigger UPS contributions to your fund. [Full- and part-time Central Staters should see Article 34.]

Check your fund's Rules to see how many contribution hours are required to get a full year's pension credit. And if there are any exclusions or exceptions.

If anyone finds anything alarming, let us all know.

I need 1,800 contribution hours per year to earn a year's pension credit. Usually a full-timer has (up to) 2,080 contribution hours so even if I took a few weeks off with no pay, and thus no pension contributions, I would still get a full year of pension credit.

i believe you are correct, if someone has been out 4 months already there is no way they are making 1800 hours by the end of the year at this point, so just add another work year to your retirement plan

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i believe you are correct, if someone has been out 4 months already there is no way they are making 1800 hours by the end of the year at this point, so just add another work year to your retirement plan

2, I asked Jon earlier but didn't get the answer that I was looking for so I will ask you. Our paychecks now show hours worked and guarantee hours for our runner/gunners who work less than 8 hours but get paid the guarantee. For example, I have a co-worker who generally only works 6-6.5 hours each day but gets paid for 8. Will this affect these employees when it comes to compute their pensions? I know that taking dead days will but am not sure about working less than 8.

local804

2, I asked Jon earlier but didn't get the answer that I was looking for so I will ask you. Our paychecks now show hours worked and guarantee hours for our runner/gunners who work less than 8 hours but get paid the guarantee. For example, I have a co-worker who generally only works 6-6.5 hours each day but gets paid for 8. Will this affect these employees when it comes to compute their pensions? I know that taking dead days will but am not sure about working less than 8.

That exact question was asked at a general membership meeting here about a year ago. The then president (Howie Redmond) told us that we were getting the 8 hours pension credit. With that being said, he is the ex president and I have not seen anything in stone on this.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Thanks for worrying about me, my plans to retire at the age of 50 are still on track. My penions fund does not have an hours worked clause and it spells out that any employee off work for 1 month gets contributions for an off the job injury and any employee hurt on the job gets their pension paid for 12 months. Im local 705 if you would like to research a little more that way you dont come off as a total idiot.

Please come again

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Running under is not the same as being out on a work related injury, but you are right that those guys are probably only getting contributions for hours worked. Around here that goes for your health benefits as well, we have a guy who had to make cobra payments to maintain his health insurance because he only worked 6-7 hours a day and took a couple dead days as well.