Telematics vs. Human Beings

UPS Driver - My On Road Sup asked:

"Why were you at that bulk stop for 18 minutes when the computer says that you should of been done in 10 minutes?"

... Really.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I answer those sort of questions all the time lately when it comes to my time card vs arbitrary and obsolete AIS book times.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

"Why were you at that bulk stop for 18 minutes when the computer says that you should of been done in 10 minutes?"

... Really.
Just tell him you don't know. You just wanted to get all the slow out of your system at that one stop so you could be really fast the rest of the day.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

... Really.
You were looking for a package? C'mon man, you can't think of a reason to get held up at a stop? Diad had an unexpected restart........had to take a leak......couldn't find anyone to sign.......another truck was parked on the dock......... Come on!!!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
And God. How do you look at someone with a straight face and ask them something like this? I'd never be able to take myself seriously if I were in management. Well, even less than I do already.

Cementups

Box Monkey

... Really.

My old center manager asked me one day why I was at a particular stop for over 10 minutes (yet I run under everyday). I explained to him that the customer was trying to ship a package through our website and didn't know how so I was walking her through it. He told me, "tell her to call the 1-800 number, you don't have time for that."
I told him, "That's not going to happen. I was hired by United Parcel SERVICE. Note the keyword Service. Not UPS. Service means taking those extra minutes and helping a customer out. Especially when you are telling us everyday to 'sell the business' and get sales leads. So what happens here in your scenario is I tell her to call the 1-800 number and then 5 minutes later the FedEx guy walks in the door and helps her ship her package through them and now we just lost a customer because I 'didn't have time for her.' I'm not sure if they taught you this in your business class but if you make one person happy, you've potentially made 10 happy but if you piss 1 person off, you've potentially pissed 100 people off."
He gave me a stunned quiet look for about 10 seconds and said, "ok, just try and keep it to a minimum." LOL.

I never have their answers. I tell them if they give me their numbers before I leave, I can write notes and give you the answers. Then I tell them have someone else do what I do.