telematics?

upssup

And now for a small dose of reality. Telematics was primarily implemented to monitor critical systems on the car. NOT THE DRIVER! It was designed to aid in effective troubleshooting and repair of UPS vehicles. I work in a hub that has it and I am an Automotive Supervisor. I see the telematics report almost daily, it shows us vital information such as fluid temps, engine status and systems status of many different components. It has been effective so far. Yes there has been some faulty sensors and readings, mostly due to the system as a whole and not specific components. Yes there have been faulty switches but it is easy to identify component or operator (i.e. seatbelt switches). Yes if you are doing your job you should not have anything to worry about. True for my mechanics as well as drivers. yes the newer cars (2006 and newer) have the majority of components but they still need to have the "paddle" or module installed and activated. I have never heard the one about the grab rail switch. I am sure you will hear about sensors in whatever system is currently your center's biggest area of concern. Again 95% of the systems monitored have absolutely nothing to do with the driver and everything to do with the car!

lvgolfer962

ddomino;767245 When introduced by Division Manager was said to be able to know "when vehicle has problem before you(driver) .[/QUOTE said:
same thing they said to us. When my truck broke down the other day, i asked the mechanic(close friend) why didn't the computer warn them about this sensor going bad, he just laughed. and according to him it your centers choice and if they can afford the upgrades to whether or not you will being seeing these "Upgrades" lol

upssup

I think that might be someone unfamiliar with the system. Even the oldest GMC has the majority of telematic abilities. we are installing the telematics on the oldest cars. Yes it was more expensive than three point seatbelts. As long as the person monitoring the system knows how to read the issues it really is a benefit to Automotive, Now that being said if Operations chooses to use it for other purposes that is their perogative. Do not blame automotive for it. I have already heard the crying in our hubs "big brother this, big brother that" Not the case. Again, i kow you do not want to hear it but If you are doing your job as directed, it should not be a problem. Believe it or not drivers are not the only ones in UPS that have to work as directed so i apologize on behalf of Automotive but we have to do our job as well. We are monitored on a computer system that measures everything we do all day long. I have yet to hear any of my mechanics accuse me of being "big brother" DEAL WITH IT, JUST LIKE THE REST OF UPS HAS TO!

iamupser

Grease Monkey
And now for a small dose of reality. Telematics was primarily implemented to monitor critical systems on the car. NOT THE DRIVER! It was designed to aid in effective troubleshooting and repair of UPS vehicles. I work in a hub that has it and I am an Automotive Supervisor. I see the telematics report almost daily, it shows us vital information such as fluid temps, engine status and systems status of many different components. It has been effective so far. Yes there has been some faulty sensors and readings, mostly due to the system as a whole and not specific components. Yes there have been faulty switches but it is easy to identify component or operator (i.e. seatbelt switches). Yes if you are doing your job you should not have anything to worry about. True for my mechanics as well as drivers. yes the newer cars (2006 and newer) have the majority of components but they still need to have the "paddle" or module installed and activated. I have never heard the one about the grab rail switch. I am sure you will hear about sensors in whatever system is currently your center's biggest area of concern. Again 95% of the systems monitored have absolutely nothing to do with the driver and everything to do with the car!

'Was primarily implemented' may be the keywords. Phase II GMC has no engine data relayed to AIS. How does seatbelt use, bulkhead door, reverse switch relate to automotive maintenance? GPS, and brake switch maybe, but I would argue that those 2 data items are more useful to the center manager as well.

It could backfire for UPS a little if a plaintiff's attorney gets to subpoena package car data relating to an accident and UPS has to pay up more because it documented some useful data to the plaintiffs lawyer. Kind of like the "airbag" black box in newer vehicles that record alot of information that drivers don't know about, but your insurance company and law enforcement does!

For being primarily for "automotive maintenance". It sure is funny I never see the auto shop posting a daily scoreboard of our maintenance record like the center managers do for their drivers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Obviously the supes are gonna be all over that 5% and not give a hoot about the other 95%. You think an on-road cares about fluid temps?

I think that might be someone unfamiliar with the system. Even the oldest GMC has the majority of telematic abilities. we are installing the telematics on the oldest cars. Yes it was more expensive than three point seatbelts. As long as the person monitoring the system knows how to read the issues it really is a benefit to Automotive, Now that being said if Operations chooses to use it for other purposes that is their perogative. Do not blame automotive for it. I have already heard the crying in our hubs "big brother this, big brother that" Not the case. Again, i kow you do not want to hear it but If you are doing your job as directed, it should not be a problem. Believe it or not drivers are not the only ones in UPS that have to work as directed so i apologize on behalf of Automotive but we have to do our job as well. We are monitored on a computer system that measures everything we do all day long. I have yet to hear any of my mechanics accuse me of being "big brother" DEAL WITH IT, JUST LIKE THE REST OF UPS HAS TO!
My car is a 2006 and I don't see the wires anywhere. No wires or sensors or cares.........OH MY!!!

Oh, and btw, I'm sure sober will be popping in on your little 3 point seatbelt comment. Good luck!

'Was primarily implemented' may be the keywords. Phase II GMC has no engine data relayed to AIS. How does seatbelt use, bulkhead door, reverse switch relate to automotive maintenance? GPS, and brake switch maybe, but I would argue that those 2 data items are more useful to the center manager as well.

It could backfire for UPS a little if a plaintiff's attorney gets to subpoena package car data relating to an accident and UPS has to pay up more because it documented some useful data to the plaintiffs lawyer. Kind of like the "airbag" black box in newer vehicles that record alot of information that drivers don't know about, but your insurance company and law enforcement does!

For being primarily for "automotive maintenance". It sure is funny I never see the auto shop posting a daily scoreboard of our maintenance record like the center managers do for their drivers.
Good point.

Laws are not truths ... think about it.

Additionally, laws regarding contracts define the penalties of breaking the terms and conditions of the contract. The terms and conditions within the contract are not laws.

Been through this before to and people try and simplify/twist contractual language as if it were a law. With that said, UPS management should abide by the T&Cs in the contract ... based on UPS lawyers' interpretation of those T&Cs.
I love the many ways things get interpreted.

You're getting it. Everyone's getting it. It's kinda funny to listen to the hype, then watch it fizzle. Good idea, but bad hardware/components and overstated benefits. I heard that 30% of the vehicles with it have at least one sensor or feature not working properly already.
Not so. I "heard" that it doesn't work properly in some centers. I think my supes are content with ODSe, also known as SUPEr-Vision.:wink2:

pretzel_man

Telematics is the biggest waste of money in the history of UPS. All it does is justify middle managements existence. Center managers and below have been reduced to pawns in a chess match between the union and atlanta. They are instructed to do everything, they make no business decisions and are at the mercy of the voice on the other end of the conference call. Must be tough looking at yourself in the mirror every morning knowing that you knowingly and willingly treat people like garbage because you are instructed to do so to keep getting a paycheck. Where I'm from that's called selling your soul -- I bet your mothers are really proud.

Waste of money......

UPS measures everything including whether systems like this save money or not. This system was first used about 5 years ago. It has been analyzed every which way....

Idle time is down 15 minutes per driver.
Breakdowns are down.
Automotive maintence cost is down.
Backing has been reduced (25% I think)
Seat belt usage is greater than 99.8%
Performance as measured by NDPPH is up.

You may not like the system. It may be abused in some places (I'm sure poor management does that). It may not save money everywhere.

Overall, a waste of money?? I think not.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
P-man, just your one single stat of seatbelt usage is more than enough to warrant telematics. We do not need anymore posts like the one recently about the driver than went off the road and apparently was not wearing a seatbelt. Rollover.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Waste of money......

UPS measures everything including whether systems like this save money or not. This system was first used about 5 years ago. It has been analyzed every which way....

Breakdowns are down.

You may not like the system. It may be abused in some places (I'm sure poor management does that). It may not save money everywhere.

P-Man
There is, however, a waste of money here in [-]South
[/-] make that Central Florida. Is there a way you guys could analyze this waste and remove [-]him[/-], it.

pretzel_man

P-man, just your one single stat of seatbelt usage is more than enough to warrant telematics. We do not need anymore posts like the one recently about the driver than went off the road and apparently was not wearing a seatbelt. Rollover.

Dill,

When I first heard of Telematics, I was against it. I thought it ridiculous to think drivers were not using their seat belts religiously (whether at work or in their personal car).

Then I saw the first reports. I was shocked by the non-compliance. I was also amazed by how quickly it improved.

I am proud that UPS can say with confidence that its driver use their belts (in telematics sites) greater than 99.8%.

Thanks,

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
its a waste,,the mass implementation has been delayed by the secret ups gods,,, not cost effective and you cant discipline off it

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Waste of money......

Breakdowns are down.

P-Man

Yeah, yeah , yeah...You're being fed the fuzzy math stats from the supporters. I agree that known seat belt use is improved, known idle time is down, known backing is reduced, the rest is hogwash.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, yeah , yeah...You're being fed the fuzzy math stats from the supporters. I agree that known seat belt use is improved, known idle time is down, known backing is reduced, the rest is hogwash.

Have to agree ... we don't know whether the unknown and unmeasured is up or down.

captw74

re telematics

come on do you really believe in that. ups is trying to save money in automotive. ups can install an RPM gauge that measures revolutions of the motor to tell when a vehicle needs service.(my personal car has that) a good mechanic team can take care of a fleet of vehicles. the seatbelt, bulkhead door are a good idea. i dont need to be told that i backed up so many feet and how may times i did back.we drive for a living it comes with the territory. i dont need to be told how many minutes between stops or how long i was there.everyday is different i cant control how fast traffic is or how long it takes for someone to come to the door . this is a system design so that ups can put pressure on the driver. make us work faster. they don t want a young driver to last 30 years they want 9 years from us and they hope we had enough of the harassment and quit before we are vested in a pension. the biggest expense the company has is payroll and we make up the biggest chunk of it. when there is a bussiness there are bussiness expenses and having trucks to be maintain is one of them. ups knows that

browned out

Re: re telematics

come on do you really believe in that. ups is trying to save money in automotive. ups can install an RPM gauge that measures revolutions of the motor to tell when a vehicle needs service.(my personal car has that) a good mechanic team can take care of a fleet of vehicles. the seatbelt, bulkhead door are a good idea. i dont need to be told that i backed up so many feet and how may times i did back.we drive for a living it comes with the territory. i dont need to be told how many minutes between stops or how long i was there.everyday is different i cant control how fast traffic is or how long it takes for someone to come to the door . this is a system design so that ups can put pressure on the driver. make us work faster. they don t want a young driver to last 30 years they want 9 years from us and they hope we had enough of the harassment and quit before we are vested in a pension. the biggest expense the company has is payroll and we make up the biggest chunk of it. when there is a bussiness there are bussiness expenses and having trucks to be maintain is one of them. ups knows that

plus 1 less drivers vested = more cash more stops per car = more early retirement, quitting, etc(this summer)=less drivers vested

BrownDead

I have no doubt Teamsters has the giggles over the implementation of telematics just as much as ups does, it will save both sides wads of cash in the future. Times... they are a changing. 25 & 30 year employees will definitely be a thing of the past. Who gives a rip about telematics or (tattletale-matics) anyway, do the job the right way every day people, or find somewhere else to slack off.

bham brown

I guess thats why we have a detailed report on the wall every morning of our idle time, seat belt usage, bulkhead events,backing events, back first exceptions and anything else they can put on a report.. But you said it was 95% automotive.. I guess since it is all about the car, we shouldn't have silly breakdowns such as dead batteries and bad starters, but we do..

JonFrum

Laws are not truths ... think about it.

Additionally, laws regarding contracts define the penalties of breaking the terms and conditions of the contract. The terms and conditions within the contract are not laws.

Been through this before to and people try and simplify/twist contractual language as if it were a law. With that said, UPS management should abide by the T&Cs in the contract ... based on UPS lawyers' interpretation of those T&Cs.

The terms and conditions of a contract are binding on the parties to the contract. They are enforcable in a court of law. They are not legislated law, but they are solemn agreements between the parties that have the weight of law, and the force of law. They are, in effect, law, but a very limited law that only applies to the parties to the contract.

Some legislated laws only apply within a state. Others only apply within a city or town. The UPS-Teamster contract(s) apply to several hundred thousand workers, managers and supervisors. That's more people than a lot of legislated laws apply to.

You shouldn't try to lessen the legal authority of the UPS-Teamster contracts. Once ratified, contract compliance is mandatory on the parties. You seem to be suggesting that UPS-Teamster contracts are not legally significant, like Emily Post's Rules of Etiquette, which are just suggestions, advisories, guidelines, and exhortations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no doubt Teamsters has the giggles over the implementation of telematics just as much as ups does, it will save both sides wads of cash in the future. Times... they are a changing.

25 & 30 year employees will definitely be a thing of the past.

Who gives a rip about telematics or (tattletale-matics) anyway, do the job the right way every day people, or find somewhere else to slack off.

I would think that the push on production would be more to blame for this than telematics.