Terminated For Gross Negligence

laurietito

I ride motorcycles and that rider must have been out of his mind to be riding as described in the previous posts. It's to bad that something like this had to happen to one of our own. I, as a rider would like to offer my deepest regrets for the problems that you are going through and it makes mad as hell that you have to go through this. As far as the intersection situation, these types of intersections should not even exist. They (intersections) are begging for these types of accidents. As a PC driver I can see the scenario so clearly. Pull up to intersection....Stop...Look LRL.......Hesitate.......Question self is it clear.......start to go.......stop........is it really cllear.......start to go........stop.......is it really clear........(you get the picture) pretty soon you've wasted to much time because of hesitation and second guessing.....where do you drawn the line........To some degree some of the responsibility needs to be directed to the town which established this type of intersection. I wish you the best and truly hope you can some to sort of acceptible terms both personally and with your job.
\

Thanks for your opinion...

laurietito

I've been here on this site for a few months now. I'd like to think that I have built up some level of credibility by now. I have not made a habit of posting wild stuff.

Given that I have (I would like to think) built up some credibilty, I now give my assurances to some things.

1) I know this guy personally. This guy is real, the story is real, the details as much as I know them are true. (I am not the steward, so I was not involved in any meetings or hearings in any way) He is not a troll.

2) I like this guy, and the other drivers in the center liked this guy. He was not a troublemaker or a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:-talker. Even though managment was all over him, he did not seem like an angry or vindictive person.

3) This guy is not a particularly articulate person. I'm not saying this to be mean, but to explain to you guys who are ready to rip him up why he might have posted stuff in the manner he did.

So....

Maybe he should have taken the offer for the combo job, but he didn't. He is here now asking for help, if any of you guys can help that would be the decent thing to do.
I feel like this situation could have happened to any of us. I expect managment to close ranks and say all the same things. How many of us have been charged with an accident for a hit while parked? But I'm saddened that a lot of guys on here that are "one of us" are ready to slam him too.
I've driven down Meridian street many thousands of times. I'm quite familiar with the intersection that the accident happened at. I can very easily picture the situation. Driver looks down the street and sees some cars coming. With their distance and speed he has plenty of time to make it across the street. He does not see the reckless motorcyclist going 2 to 3 times the speed of traffic because at the time he commits to going through the intersection he cannot see the motorcyclist who is behind other vehicles. The motocyclist who was riding a modern sportbike did not have the skills to avoid this accident.
By the way, I ride motorcycles and have for all my adult life. I am well aware that many of the guys out riding around on these crazy fast sportbikes have virtually no riding skill whatsoever. It saddens me, but long discussions about personal responsibility and rider training are really better materials for other forums.
I could have quite easily, with my modest skill level, avoided this accident were I the motorcyclist, even moving at the speed he was.

Knowing what I know about the accident, I really think it could have happened to any of us. This guy got a raw deal because he got un-lucky and managment did not like him because he did not make good numbers. If any of you can help him now, I think it would be the decent thing to do.

Thanks for typing the truth.. The story is real, the facts are real..

upsmanckp

laurietito my heart goes out to you on a very personal level. I witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident (he T-Boned a van) right in front of me and died while I held his hand. That alone will mess you up. And adding the injustice served to you, you must be very depressed.
If you want to talk, let me know and I will call you.

It seems as though you could not be Fired based on your description given .

rocket man

good luck If you already resinged im not sure what you can do Except get the pains in your side and back checked its a jolt to your body at any speed i hope you feel better.

rocket man

Danny boy is this guy truthfull or not? ive read 30 post it to confusing, motorcycles blow by me all the time it scares the crap out of me. accidents happen and always will, im not sure if this guy resinged, i would have took the combo job kept the bennies and looked around its easyier to find work when you have work when you say your working for ups. im done with this post But I said it befor i fell sorry for you and family what ever happend I RECENTLY WENT 2200 miles round trip to a hearing im back in honesty and the union is a good combonation I did not get all i should have but im working it was worth every mile i traveled.I did not resign I was asked 3 times to ,

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Danny boy is this guy truthfull or not?

Well that is a good question. He still is posting the same song and dance. Nothing of substance. First he is looking for a good cheap lawyer, then he says what makes me think he has no takers.

Simple. If he had a lawyer, or one that thinks he is really inocent, then he would not be posting here.

Secondly, after repeated requests for documentation, all we get is a post by another person (or even the same guy for all we know) that he is telling the truth. How hard is it to back up your story with facts on paper? Why is he refusing to do so. But instead, its the same dribble.

So you figure it out. From his actions, I think he is all BS. If he really wanted help, he would spell it out. I think he just wants our pity instead of help.

d

trickpony1

Trick still waiting to hear what an 8-3 appeal is? Is it master national language interpertation?

Yes it is.
This is an aside from the topic of this thread, and probably should be in the "Labor Relations", so I hope the readers won't mind. I am just a dumb truck driver and don't know how to move it there.
I believe (which means this is just my opinion) the fine folks at the IBT in Washington D.C. would prefer that this info not become public knowledge.
Based on a situation I am aware of, the sequence went like this:
Local hearing: lost
First panel: deadlocked
Deadlock panel: lost but there were some discrepancies on the union side as well as the company side.
File an 8.3 appeal: get a letter from some joker in DC saying "it doesn't meet the criteria for an 8.3 appeal" but the letter doesn't expound on what criteria was not met.
Supposedly, an 8.3 appeal can be filed only if your case sets a precedant or is monumental which I thought the involved individual's case met both. If your grievance has national language, I beleive you can file 8.3 after exhausting the usual circus of kangaroo courts (panel hearings).
This individual is pursuing the case further, as in maybe NLRB charges against the company as well as the union, as well as the EEOC or an attorney.
This individual is also weighing the relative merits of stepping out of a union that can't represent him.
PS-the individual is still employed.

DS

Fenderbender
WOW! This thread has turned out to be informative in a few ways.
The more I think about it,the more I think there's the possibility that this accident could have been avoidable.The driver that got hit is taking the fact that a fatality was involved a bit too lightly,regardless of who was at fault.He should've taken the job they offered in the hope that some day he could work up to a driving position in the future.I do wish him luck.
I've also learned that this forum often addresses some pretty serious issues and is not just a place to trade ideas and complain.If caught early enough,this incident could have evolved differently if the driver involved had sought advice here the day it happened.The browncafe rocks.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yes it is.
This is an aside from the topic of this thread, and probably should be in the "Labor Relations", so I hope the readers won't mind. I am just a dumb truck driver and don't know how to move it there.
I believe (which means this is just my opinion) the fine folks at the IBT in Washington D.C. would prefer that this info not become public knowledge.
Based on a situation I am aware of, the sequence went like this:
Local hearing: lost
First panel: deadlocked
Deadlock panel: lost but there were some discrepancies on the union side as well as the company side.
File an 8.3 appeal: get a letter from some joker in DC saying "it doesn't meet the criteria for an 8.3 appeal" but the letter doesn't expound on what criteria was not met.
Supposedly, an 8.3 appeal can be filed only if your case sets a precedant or is monumental which I thought the involved individual's case met both. If your grievance has national language, I beleive you can file 8.3 after exhausting the usual circus of kangaroo courts (panel hearings).
This individual is pursuing the case further, as in maybe NLRB charges against the company as well as the union, as well as the EEOC or an attorney.
This individual is also weighing the relative merits of stepping out of a union that can't represent him.
PS-the individual is still employed.
Thanks for getting back to me. I was wondering why i had never heard of a 8.3 grievance, so i opened the contract to it. However im in 705 and our agreement is seperate and we have our own panel and local arbitrations locally with no national master language playing into effect. Absolutely if you werewronger use the nlrb, but also go through the locals internal charges. I know it will get you no where but the more documention the better, just a piece of advice.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I guess we all have learned something from this accident. 1 decision, 1 second of your day can change your life and others forever. Good luck to you in your fight to regain employment and everyone should just take a second to reflect, this could have been anyone of us. Think through every decision and expect the unexpected.

broncobros1

I would be willing to place a bet that there is more to the story than you are letting on...my experiences show that if there was even a smidgen of doubt the Union would get you off a a technicality. What's the whole scoop...?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
laurietito

If you are too ashamed to post the actual data here, or just dont know how, send me a PM, and I will walk you through it.

The challenge. If you are for real, this is your chance. If not, well then we were right, you are a troll or at the very least a fake. If you really want help, there you go.

d

laurietito

WOW! This thread has turned out to be informative in a few ways.
The more I think about it,the more I think there's the possibility that this accident could have been avoidable.The driver that got hit is taking the fact that a fatality was involved a bit too lightly,regardless of who was at fault.He should've taken the job they offered in the hope that some day he could work up to a driving position in the future.I do wish him luck.
I've also learned that this forum often addresses some pretty serious issues and is not just a place to trade ideas and complain.If caught early enough,this incident could have evolved differently if the driver involved had sought advice here the day it happened.The browncafe rocks.

I am not taking this too lightly at all. It has been a very difficult 8 months for all parties involved. I am sorry if I sound like I do not care... This accident was not avoidable unless I stayed home that day....

laurietito

laurietito

If you are too ashamed to post the actual data here, or just dont know how, send me a PM, and I will walk you through it.

The challenge. If you are for real, this is your chance. If not, well then we were right, you are a troll or at the very least a fake. If you really want help, there you go.

d

Thanks..... but I am not posting anything... I know this is for real, that is all that matters... I live it everyday..

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
but I am not posting anything... I know this is for real, that is all that matters

Yeah right. Then why did you bother asking for help. So I guess Tie nailed it early on, nothing but a troll.

Have fun!

d

brett636

Yeah right. Then why did you bother asking for help. So I guess Tie nailed it early on, nothing but a troll.

Have fun!

d

While I cannot verify all the facts of his story, I can assure you this did happen. Laurietito and I are based out of the same center(except I am PM air), and I do remember when this incident occurred. Through our PM correspondence I'm confident he is the same driver that this occured too. Everyone I spoke with thought he would get his job back. Evidently this did not happen, and its a sad end to an unfortunate accident. The combo job he described was put up for bid late last summer and every high seniority combo worker in our hub was drooling all over it.

He is no troll.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Then why not post, or PM the info documenting the actual accident. Hell, let me know the date and city, and I can document the thing myself. Why is he playing stupid? If he really wants his job back, we can possibly help. Or at the very least, we can offer some dandy ways he can maybe come out of this with at least something.

So, if he is real, then why the head games?

d

kene1024

Then why not post, or PM the info documenting the actual accident. Hell, let me know the date and city, and I can document the thing myself. Why is he playing stupid? If he really wants his job back, we can possibly help. Or at the very least, we can offer some dandy ways he can maybe come out of this with at least something.

So, if he is real, then why the head games?

d

Just from reading all these messages, it seems as if he just isn't very good at communicating in this manner. Some people don't communicate effectively via email or written communications.

It also probably doesn't make him feel any more at ease when people are calling him a troll, etc. if he's already having difficulty getting his point across.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But Kene, re-read his posts. He is very articulate about him not seeing the cyclist, therefor it is not his fault. He is also very good at comunicating that he wants to get even with UPS, and how mean and cruel they are to him, and how bad the teamsters are for not representing him at the hearings.

But yet with all those posts, all of which are designed to make him look good, why are there no posts that have any sort of proof of inocence? No dates given for the accident, no names of the victim, no posting of any paperwork showing what he is claiming. Now why would that be, if as you say, he is that backward when it comes to comunicating here on this site.

Nope, its not that he cant, or does not have the ability, its that he has refused. And for good reason. He just plainly did not see that cycle, when he should have. He went through a blinking red light, in spite of the fact there was traffic coming down the other street. And instead of waiting, he pulled out in front of traffic. I dont doubt that he did not see the cycle. But I do doubt that he is inocent as claimed. And that the police report said he is not at fault.

Indianapolis, IN -- One person was killed Wednesday afternoon in a wreck on Indianapolis' north side. A United Parcel Service truck and motorcycle collided at 40th and Meridian streets at about 2:30 p.m. The motorcyclist was killed

But I am trying to trace down what happened. It might take me a while, but I will find out the truth, in spite of what he has posted.

d