Terminated For Gross Negligence

laurietito

Anyone out there terminated for gross negligence even though it was not your fault?????? Any suggestions how to get back at UPS??

laurietito

You want to give a few details? And do you mean "get back at UPS" as in retaliate?
I was fired due to an accident. A motorcylist was speeding and ran right into the side of my package car. He passed away at the scene. Just doesn't seem fair to get fired for something that wasn't my fault...... Union did not help or care

That really sucks, as it wasn't your fault, but a death due to accident is a cardinal sin = instant termination= the union owes you a fight for your job

Leftinbuilding

I was fired due to an accident. A motorcylist was speeding and ran right into the side of my package car. He passed away at the scene. Just doesn't seem fair to get fired for something that wasn't my fault...... Union did not help or care

I too, was hit by a motorcyclist and I did not get fired. What was UPS's stance on the cause?

outamyway

It is unfortunate someone died, but it is still just an accident. You shouldn't have to pay for someone elses stupidity. The union should care. You pay your union dues right? So you help pay their bills. You just need to find the right person to talk to.

The cardnal sin, I believe, is hitting a pedestrian.

laurietito

What Was Involved In Your Case??? U.p.s. Even Has The Police Report Showing Me Not At Fault.... Wonder If The Union Is Bought Out....????

awnry

Cardinal Sins that will automatically get you terminated in my Teamster Stewards Manual are1.)possesion, distributionof drugs,alcohol on employer premises 2.) fighting on the job or engaging in acts of violence. 3.) Destruction of employer property. 4.)Theft There is no mention of being involved in a accidental death case that is not you fault. Make you union and steward get involved, thats what they are paid for.

paidslave

Too Late... Local Hearing Was Deadlocked. Lost At National Hearing In Chicago.. 13 Years Down The Drain...

Too late? I am not sure to even believe this post...You asked a queston today for info. Then today you said to late you lost at hearing.

Termination process could take up to a year in most cases.

my2cents!

I don't believe you!

paidslave

Cardinal Sins that will automatically get you terminated in my Teamster Stewards Manual are1.)possesion, distributionof drugs,alcohol on employer premises 2.) fighting on the job or engaging in acts of violence. 3.) Destruction of employer property. 4.)Theft There is no mention of being involved in a accidental death case that is not you fault. Make you union and steward get involved, thats what they are paid for.

I agree! These terms of contract need to be abided by and ..If they are not, it really seems that someone is not reading them correctly and bending them. A contract is a contract, no ifs, buts, exceptions should be made! If the state didn't charge you with gross negligence how can UPS? This doesn't make sense and this could happen to anyone in your work truck or in your personal vehicle!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Something is missing here. there are two drivers in my building(that I know of) that have been in accidents where the other parties died. one is still a driver and hte other was "demoted" to an inside position since he was within his 30.