terminated ??

R

rr

Have a co- worker who is being investigated and has been suspended with poss. termination for knowing about another employee who was stealing.
Is it poss. to lose your job for knowing about something and not reporting it?

O

ok2bclever

Sure, knowing someone is stealing from the company and not reporting it lets it continue and is collusion.

UPS uses their own terminology for it and I cannot recall what it is off the top of my head right now, but yep, you certainly can be terminated for that.

Y

yeldarb

If you deny anything, and they know you are lying, that is grounds for immediate dismissal as well. We have had a couple drivers fired for that, because mgmt confronted them on something, and they denied it. There have been others whose jobs were spared for the same offense but because they were honest, UPS was more forgiving.

S

susiedriver

"You lie till you die"

Anonymous Graduate, Annapolis Naval Academy Class of 1992

Personally I subsribe to the 'tell the truth, it's easier' crowd. But if I was lying & cheating to begin with, I guess I'd go with the Naval battle cry.

U

upsdude

I don't intend to bash.........

If a co-worker is stealing from UPS, (a very big company with a lot of resources to catch thieves), what would stop the same person from stealing from you?

Turn'em in.

S

susiedriver

You hit the nail on the head, upsdude. Unfortunately, the co-worker of the original poster had already lied enough times to be terminated.

You lie with dogs...

sd

U

upsdude

"You hit the nail on the head, upsdude. Unfortunately, the co-worker of the original poster had already lied enough times to be terminated."

Susiedriver.....

I knew there had to be at least one thing we could agree on!
cheers.gif

U

upsdude

Correct!

That makes 2!

I'm married! I shouldn't be talking to you! I have to go now!

O

ok2bclever

It's only hard to be honest for the dishonest and weak, period.

You certainly will go down in flames for dishonesty lying about something that they know you are lying about.

Nothing will put their dander up faster than that, not even stealing.

You want to go down as a 17a (my supplement language) dishonesty lie to management about anything serious.

It isn't a coincidence that it is the first listed Cardinal sin cause for termination.

F

fredly00

Damn... I'd turn em in.. UPS offers 5,000...
for info about theft.. :D
its all about me
happy.gif

T

trickpony1

I've seen too many times where the company acts first and thinks later.
I've seen too many times where things could have been handled differently.
I've seen people drawn into situations not of their choosing and then left to fight, scratch and kick their way out of it.
I've seen the company get "trigger happy" too many times.

O

ok2bclever

I've seen that too, no doubt far more often and longer than you, both because of my extra years and because of being a steward.

In what instance of any of those injustices does any of that promote dishonesty?

In what circumstance would lying or stealing or being dishonest in any way be the better/smarter move than being honest?

Sorry, you are dead wrong here.

The company blows it with small minded tactics or decisions lots of times, but normally being dishonest will only excerbate the situation and the few other times you would only be denigrading yourself for a crapshoot,certainly no guarantee of being better off.

I have watched state panels finalize terminations on relatively weak cases because the employee maintained an obvious lie in the face of circumstances.

There is no faster way to cement the companies ire to fire and no surer way to put doubt in the minds of the union side of the panel.

If they believe you are being dishonest it hardly matters what charge trumped up or legitimate that the company is using because regardless of what you think about the individual ethics of the union big shots, they will not defend or save a liar and you are right, some of them (and some of the company managers) can spot a liar twenty miles away by the "takes one to know one" qualification, but that still won't save an employee caught or even strongly suspected of being dishonest.

That is not to say you act like you have babble serum in you and admit everything you think about the company or particular manager with baldface statements of truth.
biggrin.gif

Honesty,integrity,discretion and diplomacy all have separate definitions, but none of them have dishonesty as part of those definitions.

A

afups

I've seen too many times where the company acts first and thinks later.
I've seen too many times where things could have been handled differently.
I've seen people drawn into situations not of their choosing and then left to fight, scratch and kick their way out of it.
I've seen the company get "trigger happy" too many times

Trick...This sounds a lot like several people that I know...none of them are with UPS. I think many people do these things.

Have you ever done anything you regretted later?

S

spidey

"The company makes it real hard to be honest."

Can you explain that, Trick? I teach my kids that it's up to them to make decisions, and they are reponsible for the results. Why would the company be responsible for you or anyone else being dishonest? Rationalizing a bad act doesn't remove the personal responsibility.