Termination attempt

So after 2 years of busting my you know what at a local warehouse, including 20+ hour shifts during peak seasons, the main warehouse manager attempted to terminate me, relating to an injury, that happened back in May. I was one of their best pre-loaders, being able to handle, on some occasions, up to 7 trucks by myself whenever we were low on people.
Anyway, he tried playing the article 16 card (dishonesty), without seeing any medical documents. I had a follow-up appointment w/ MOHA set-up for yesterday, and was hoping to return to work on Tuesday. I'm guessing they didn't want to cover that expense either, despite record profits for the past 2+ years. I was put on Temporary Assigned Work for the past 3 weeks or so, which limits me to 3.5 hours of light duty.
Anyway, I refused to sign the false accusations being thrown my way and file a grievance to see if I can get my job back without loosing any base pay, benefits, or seniority earned up to this point.
Is it a standard practice for them to get rid of people when they get hurt on the job, based on their "hunch"?
Is there a paragraph in the union contract, protecting us in these cases?
Lastly, is there a legal case against UPS management, for wrongful termination, especially if I serve in the armed forces?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So after 2 years of busting my you know what at a local warehouse, including 20+ hour shifts during peak seasons, the main warehouse manager attempted to terminate me, relating to an injury, that happened back in May. I was one of their best pre-loaders, being able to handle, on some occasions, up to 7 trucks by myself whenever we were low on people.
Anyway, he tried playing the article 16 card (dishonesty), without seeing any medical documents. I had a follow-up appointment w/ MOHA set-up for yesterday, and was hoping to return to work on Tuesday. I'm guessing they didn't want to cover that expense either, despite record profits for the past 2+ years. I was put on Temporary Assigned Work for the past 3 weeks or so, which limits me to 3.5 hours of light duty.
Anyway, I refused to sign the false accusations being thrown my way and file a grievance to see if I can get my job back without loosing any base pay, benefits, or seniority earned up to this point.
Is it a standard practice for them to get rid of people when they get hurt on the job, based on their "hunch"?
Lastly, is there a legal case against UPS management, for wrongful termination, especially if I serve in the armed forces?
Did you report the injury and document it when it happened? UPS loves to play games with part timers and injuries. Contact your Shop Steward, Call the Local, and find a workers comp attorney.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What did your Shop Steward say?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It's good that you are learning that they love you when you are killing yourself to give them great numbers and forget your name as soon as you get hurt from killing yourself to give them great numbers.
you got played

Box Ox

Stop doing that to yourself if you return to work. Being "one of their best pre-loaders" by volume only matters in your own head and you've been giving management exactly what they want out of you. Now that you're hurt and no longer able to boost their numbers it's time for them to try and throw you out like trash so they can get the next fresh body in and try to ride him until he's gone too.

Stop being superman they dont care about you. Fair days work for a fair days pay
Yeah, you're right, for how much they pay pre-loaders per hr, they shouldn't assign more than 2 trucks to make sure no one gets hurt.
I talked to a union steward last year about introducing profit sharing, or some type of incentive for productivity (which can easily be tracked with scanners) but he also said that our center isn't profitable.
I was also told by one of my co-workers, to "not let them pee on your leg and tell them it's raining."

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Yeah, you're right, for how much they pay pre-loaders per hr, they shouldn't assign more than 2 trucks to make sure no one gets hurt.
I talked to a union steward last year about introducing profit sharing, or some type of incentive for productivity (which can easily be tracked with scanners) but he also said that our center isn't profitable.
I was also told by one of my co-workers, to "not let them pee on your leg and tell them it's raining."
My only incentive was how quickly the driver could unload the crap out of the back, not how quickly I could fit it in.

UPSER1987

I didn't know I needed to get paperwork filled out the same day. Most doctors in town were busy and didn't go to see a MOHA clinic for another 2 weeks. He said I should have filled out the paperwork on the same day..
This is why UPS doesn’t worry about the union. 2 years of hard work and this poor guy has no clue. Lack of knowledge, lack of decision trees, lack of organization …just pay your union dues lol.

This is why UPS doesn’t worry about the union. 2 years of hard work and this poor guy has no clue. Lack of knowledge, lack of decision trees, lack of organization …just pay your union dues lol.
Lack of communication in general. One of my friends told me: "keep your mouth shut and eyes & ears open".
Most of my co-workers also worked (and still do) work their butts off without saying anything, with fears of being fired...