Termination Due to Unreported Accident

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a driver who has been sitting at home since Monday due to her being fired for not reporting an accident which did not cause property damage but did cause damage to the package car. I urge everyone to heed this advice-----report all accidents and injuries no matter how minor immediately to your mgt team. Had she done this she would still be working today rather than trying to figure out what her future plans will be. She is working with union to try to get her job back but has been told that it could take at least two weeks for that process to be completed.

It is this simple----report all accidents/injuries in a timely manner.

upschuck

Two weeks would seem short here. It would go to panel, and the only thing that would save them would be if the management team wanted them back.

Had similar happen here, but the people said the damage was no big deal, then called in later. Not good if center manager didn't like her.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

She was well liked and if our old center manager were still here she would also still be here. We have a new center manager trying to make a name for himself.

bbsam

Staff member
She was well liked and if our old center manager were still here she would also still be here. We have a new center manager trying to make a name for himself.
I bet she'll be back then. The new center manager has the opportunity to make a name for himself one way or another. I suspect he's hearing the whispers and reveling in the power but in the end he needs to at least have some cred with the drivers. Killing it now is just going to make things immediately harder on him. He'll have his chance to flex his muscles when a not so liked driver lands in the frying pan.

Z

ZQXC

Then she will probably be sacrificed, and the center manager will get another small delivery truck painted on his office wall.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Upstate you are 100% correct. If something is damaged report it. So what -you need to go thru your DOK, go to safety meetings,get called out at a pcm and get a ride along for a day. You will get paid for all of it. A hit to your ego, yeah. So what. Safe driving award is just a piece of plastic. That means absolutely nothing to you as a person.

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah but how do you let an unreported accident go by the wayside?
you don't. You let her sweat it out for a couple unpaid weeks and bring her back. If he has that latitude. Might cause a raised eyebrow or two above him, but successful middle management needs to make tough calls.

upschuck

Did she deny that she knew, or taking responsibility for her actions? If she denied that she knew about the accident, then they need evidence that she did know. We have had both here, video proved that he knew on one, and another couldn't prove driver knew and let him back to work. Different drivers.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Did she deny that she knew, or taking responsibility for her actions? If she denied that she knew about the accident, then they need evidence that she did know.

Exactly.

If you have knowledge of it.... report it.

What's the worst that can happen ? A warning letter and a safety ride. Whoopee.

If you have knowledge of it, and don't report it.... then admit it....

Chances are, you will get an opportunity to pursue "other" careers.

The biggest mistake I see.... is when a driver has an active warning letter....

And has some minor incident. Fails to report it.... and gets caught. End of story.

-Bug-

Packmule

Yeah but how do you let an unreported accident go by the wayside?
It isn't right, but after 30 plus years, I'm starting to think management rewards people who don't report stuff. Less problems. The trick is don't get caught. Honesty is not appreciated over the long haul. They will use it against you every chance they get. Like I said, it ain't right. Just is.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Our car wash guys routinely jack up our trucks when moving them around. Also some drivers will scratch up against trucks when trying to pull out...

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app