Termination for 5 minutes unpaid time

Alchemix

Hey guys, been driving for the company for about 2 years now. Am right around the corner from going full time 22.4. Had an incident yesterday that I heard about this morning heading into work and was just terminated by my manager.

On the way to the route, I stopped at Sheetz to go to the bathroom before my route (I was going up in the sticks where im not aware of the route and don't know whats up there). On my way out from the bathroom, I grab a drink and hit the road. With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break. Anyways, a sup was parked at the gas station and wrote like 10 drivers up for time theft, and the next morning the manager terminated all of us. Some are full timers, some are 22.4s, some are covers like me. Me personally, I stole 5 WHOLE MINUTES of time when I went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink on my way out. My manager declared it as "shopping" and that it was time theft which goes under dishonesty. Talked to my steward we filed a grievance for it. He told me to file for unemployment and my hearing is next week. He also said that people in the past who this has happened to in the past ended up getting their jobs back. Additionally, I did the same exact thing at the same exact gas station when a sup was with me for an observation ride for a day and nothing was said to me.

I guess my question to some of the more veteran guys is what does this mean? Obviously the 5 minutes of time isn't worth termination, especially if I wasnt aware of the rule and wasn't told how to do it to begin with. Is this just lightening the workers they have to pay during peak since its slow? I keep hearing that i'll get my job back but I can't help but feel nervous and shaky about it. If anybody could give me their opinions on this and what it all means, as well as what you think may happen, I would appreciate it. Seems like a bunch of you guys have seen it all

Last edited:

Alchemix

Not buying 10 guys being fired during Peak..
Is it a working termination?
Yes. The meeting about it was today and I filed a grievance right after the meeting. Were insanely light to the point where guys are just getting paid to do basically nothing because the qualified guys get their 8 hours no matter what. They also recently made a new rule saying helpers can't leave the building with the drivers.

Hey guys, been driving for the company for about 2 years now. Am right around the corner from going full time 22.4. Had an incident yesterday that I heard about this morning heading into work and was just terminated by my manager.

On the way to the route, I stopped at Sheetz to go to the bathroom before my route (I was going up in the sticks where im not aware of the route and don't know whats up there). On my way out from the bathroom, I grab a drink and hit the road. With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break. Anyways, a sup was parked at the gas station and wrote like 10 drivers up for time theft, and the next morning the manager terminated all of us. Some are full timers, some are 22.4s, some are covers like me. Me personally, I stole 5 WHOLE MINUTES of time when I went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink on my way out. My manager declared it as "shopping" and that it was time theft which goes under dishonesty. Talked to my steward we filed a grievance for it. He told me to file for unemployment and my hearing is next week. Additionally, I did the same exact thing at the same exact gas station when a sup was with me for an observation ride for a day and nothing was said to me.

I guess my question to some of the more veteran guys is what does this mean? Obviously the 5 minutes of time isn't worth termination, especially if I wasnt aware of the rule and wasn't told how to do it to begin with. Is this just lightening the workers they have to pay during peak since its slow? I keep hearing that i'll get my job back but I can't help but feel nervous and shaky about it. If anybody could give me their opinions on this and what it all means, as well as what you think may happen, I would appreciate it. Seems like a bunch of you guys have seen it all
Sorry @over9five. I couldn't help myself
SOZrTnIsDFnmJLH75s.gif

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
They were there at the gas station watching because they saw a pattern of drivers stopping there without clocking out a break.
Management got tired of drivers cheating on their timecards.
With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break.
I think this is important. Did you code it out as "break" even if it wasn't as 087 or whatever it is in other work?
If you were attempting to code it out, that's one thing. If you didn't code anything out in any way, it's going to look a lot worse.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

On the way to the route, I stopped at Sheetz to go to the bathroom before my route (I was going up in the sticks where im not aware of the route and don't know whats up there). On my way out from the bathroom, I grab a drink and hit the road. With the new DIAD6, I was unaware that I needed to mark the break times under "Other Work" and mark as "Paid Break". Supervisors didn't mention this to me nor taught me how to do it. Also, the DIAD6 training also doesn't go over how to put in a paid break either. Apparently the regular "break" next to the meal doesn't show up for them, and so you have to put in as paid break. Anyways, a sup was parked at the gas station and wrote like 10 drivers up for time theft, and the next morning the manager terminated all of us. Some are full timers, some are 22.4s, some are covers like me. Me personally, I stole 5 WHOLE MINUTES of time when I went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink on my way out. My manager declared it as "shopping" and that it was time theft which goes under dishonesty. Talked to my steward we filed a grievance for it. He told me to file for unemployment and my hearing is next week. He also said that people in the past who this has happened to in the past ended up getting their jobs back. Additionally, I did the same exact thing at the same exact gas station when a sup was with me for an observation ride for a day and nothing was said to me.

Yep that’s stealing time
Been nice workin with ya
Good luck wherever you end up

Next

They were there at the gas station watching because they saw a pattern of drivers stopping there without clocking out a break.
Management got tired of drivers cheating on their timecards.

I think this is important. Did you code it out as "break" even if it wasn't as 087 or whatever it is in other work?
If you were attempting to code it out, that's one thing. If you didn't code anything out in any way, it's going to look a lot worse.
I'm sure there's more than a story and somebody getting something a drink one time.

Alchemix

Exactly what I said
I'm sure this happened many times with multiple drivers and it showed up on reports so they decided to investigate it
Not sure what your point is, maybe youre right. Whether thats true or not it doesn't answer the question. Doesnt change the fact it wasn't communicated to us and we weren't even taught on how to do it when we moved from the DIAD5 to 6.

Not sure what your point is, maybe youre right. Whether thats true or not it doesn't answer the question. Doesnt change the fact it wasn't communicated to us and we weren't even taught on how to do it when we moved from the DIAD5 to 6.
I'm saying that this was not a one time deal and it probably showed up on the Sparks report or whatever reports they use now to show time gaps

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
You didn't answer my question.

Did you code the time out as anything in the diad?
Whether or not it was coded right.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
LOL..The old "Nobody told me" defense....

Alchemix

I'm saying that this was not a one time deal and it probably showed up on the Sparks report or whatever reports they use now to show time gaps
You are right but how do these situations end up playing out? Either way, there was no communication from management to drivers on a) how to mark as paid meeting & also b) that we needed to do that even when we went to the bathroom and grabbed a drink totaling 5 minutes