Termination Trouble

TCD ZZ

Hey guys,

New user here but there's no better place than the cafe to ask for advice so here goes:

I'm a new TCD driver out of the Dallas hub. Today I got a pretty interesting call from one of my dispatchers asking about a particular package I delivered yesterday morning. It was a signiture required NDA1 adressed for an apartment. After thinking about it I go "yeah I delivered it what's up?"

She replies "oh yeah I know you delivered it, did you sign for the package because the recipient says he didn't?"

At this point Im freaking out because I have no idea what she's talking about. I sit there and replay the scenario in my mind and remember a dude right in front of the apartment room and asking him to sign for it. After taking a look at who it's from he goes "yeah sure thing" and i let him sign for it and im off like a flash to my next air stop.

The kicker is the guy wasn't the recipient of the package, he wasn't even living in that apartment room but for some reason he signed the recipient's name instead of his own and just left the package there on the apartment doorstep

Now I'm under the gun for integrity because it looks like i signed and left the package.

My center manager was on vacation this week but come monday I know all hell's gonna break lose, especially since I'm only on day 12 of my packet.

Any help or advice you can offer can really save my ass because I'm making real money for once and I'm terrified to lose it I just don't know how to explain what happened without making it look like I'm covering my ass after getting caught red handed, which is exactly what this is gonna look like monday when I have to explain myself to the center manager.

Note: the package wasn't stolen, the recipient just called and complained that his expensive diabetes medication was left on his doorstep for anyone to steal.

Thanks in advance everybody!

trickpony1

It would appear, to a reasonable individual, that you did everything you were supposed to do.

If the company wants you to ask for a photo ID at every stop then so be it.

I've been out of pkg for 30+ years but there's only so much you can do to effect a delivery......short of signing for a delivery (which I wouldn't suggest.)

Did the recipient open the door suggesting he was lawfully in the apartment?

TCD ZZ

No
It would appear, to a reasonable individual, that you did everything you were supposed to do.

If the company wants you to ask for a photo ID at every stop then so be it.

I've been out of pkg for 30+ years but there's only so much you can do to effect a delivery......short of signing for a delivery (which I wouldn't suggest.)

Did the recipient open the door suggesting he was lawfully in the apartment?
he was outside in front of the door smoking which is sketchy if you think to hard about it. I didn't think too much about it at the time but i suppose the photo id thing would be best in that situation.

Box Ox

Ask your center manager if you look like Magnum P. I. Because if you were him you wouldn't be delivering packages for a living.

Just tell the truth.

upschuck

Sounds like an honest mistake, and that a neighbor probably signed for it, and then left it at the door. I wouldn't worry about it, unless your center manager is a real jerk. He knows you have little to no experience out delivering and expects some screw ups from you. Just tell him the truth and say you'll be try to be more cautious with who you will let sign and clarify the person who signs. Use it as a learning experience.

TCD ZZ

Yeah I don't think too much will come from it but it was a customer complaint which is the one thing management takes seriously. I just don't like being accused of something like that, like i care about the 30 seconds it takes to fill out a DN soo much that I'd forge a signature. The packages get there as fast as I can get them there.

T

Turdferguson

He's only 12 days in..... No book yet.... The union can't do anything.

You have to be honest and tell the truth and hope your center manager believes you.
They will give him the best advice on what to do. They know the lay of the land the best.

The Driver

I drive.
If you gave the package a Left At status with the proper Left At address, there's probably going to be zero repercussions for you. One piece of advice I'll share is when leaving a delivery with a neighbor, just be sure to mention for them to sign their own names and not the consignee's name. This might help you avoid this problem in the future.

An even bigger piece of advice is to be very respectful to management during your 30 days. "Yes sir", "No sir". Be a little self-deprecating and very humble. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey guys,

New user here but there's no better place than the cafe to ask for advice so here goes:

I'm a new TCD driver out of the Dallas hub. Today I got a pretty interesting call from one of my dispatchers asking about a particular package I delivered yesterday morning. It was a signiture required NDA1 adressed for an apartment. After thinking about it I go "yeah I delivered it what's up?"

She replies "oh yeah I know you delivered it, did you sign for the package because the recipient says he didn't?"

At this point Im freaking out because I have no idea what she's talking about. I sit there and replay the scenario in my mind and remember a dude right in front of the apartment room and asking him to sign for it. After taking a look at who it's from he goes "yeah sure thing" and i let him sign for it and im off like a flash to my next air stop.

The kicker is the guy wasn't the recipient of the package, he wasn't even living in that apartment room but for some reason he signed the recipient's name instead of his own and just left the package there on the apartment doorstep

Now I'm under the gun for integrity because it looks like i signed and left the package.

My center manager was on vacation this week but come monday I know all hell's gonna break lose, especially since I'm only on day 12 of my packet.

Any help or advice you can offer can really save my ass because I'm making real money for once and I'm terrified to lose it I just don't know how to explain what happened without making it look like I'm covering my ass after getting caught red handed, which is exactly what this is gonna look like monday when I have to explain myself to the center manager.

Note: the package wasn't stolen, the recipient just called and complained that his expensive diabetes medication was left on his doorstep for anyone to steal.

Thanks in advance everybody!

Did the recipient get the package or not? What was the name signed on the package? The recipient's or the man standing outside the apartment?

TCD ZZ

Did the recipient get the package or not? What was the name signed on the package? The recipient's or the man standing outside the apartment?
The guy i gave the package to put the consignees name on the package instead of his own which i would have caught if i bothered to read the name but I just asked the guy "what's the name?" and he just told me the consignees last name.

TCD ZZ

The guy i gave the package to put the consignees name on the package instead of his own which i would have caught if i bothered to read the name but I just asked the guy "what's the name?" and he just told me the consignees last name.
It was mostly just a rookie mistake and me trying to keep management happy by not having late air.

chris9834

How do you know they dont have the same last name thats your defense. Your new they know this they dont really try to screw you in your packet about honest mistake unless you get in a accident just show them that you learned from it and are going to be more methodical about it next time...reading your post sounds like to me the guy was in front of the door, I have had simular situations like this and I will ask them "do you live here" if they tell me yea then I will make them open up the door or provide me i.d. if they dont live there then I will knock on door and do the usual delivery. It happens trust me dont let this ruin ur weekend you will be ok. I have been in your shoes in my packet I was a former fed ex driver so they figured they would give me a 11 hr dispatch figuring i would puy out on a friday on 5 days of driving with brown and I brought back 15 missed because I had volume on car and ran out of time. I was nervous all weekend long the c.m. made a point to bring it up on monday in the breakfast club and then advised there was fault on mgmt for that mistake and the person involved was talked to for not keeping a closer eye on me. Relax have a beer and enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yeah I don't think too much will come from it but it was a customer complaint which is the one thing management takes seriously.
No they don't. It's a hassle. We have to call the customer, they're whiney and yelling at us. We just want to figure it out. If they have their package great, if not you get to do a DFU and we buy them a new one.

Don't stress. You'll get talked to, but just be honest.