Termination

UPSmechanicinblue

Yawn.

Oops....

Ran over and killed someone in the UPS truck.

UPS is insured for that ?

Well, I'll move on to the next job.

I can spend all day texting my friends.

And hey, I got Bluetooth....

Nothing better to do, than spend all day talking about useless BS. :biggrin:

I'm just informing all, if you go to leave and hit something. Stop shut off car and or unbuckle seat belt to go look, spend anytime before getting buckled back in and going. They will know something went on. Seems drivers dont know all this.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm just informing all, if you go to leave and hit something. Stop shut off car and or unbuckle seat belt to go look, spend anytime before getting buckled back in and going. They will know something went on. Seems drivers dont know all this.

You might have missed my point.

Nowadays....

The new (and younger) drivers don't care.

Neither do the management people.

The culture at UPS is now "short term".

And that short-sightedness.... will hurt everyone, in the long term.

Unless, thats their intent.

-Bug-

FilingBluesFL

Some woman that lives in a multi-million dollar house in an "exclusive" neighborhood accused me once of driving a package car on to her driveway, and the package car dumped a big oil slick on her driveway.

Oddly enough, that day I was driving the LONGEST package car we have at the building, a 1300 I think it was. Thing is a BEAST.

When the center manager called me and asked for an explanation, I simply said, "Please ask her how I got a p1300 in to her driveway."

From what I heard, he went out there, and looked at the driveway, and realized I would have had to drive the package car through their decorative fountain to be able to get it to the spot where the oil slick was.

It's always guilty until proven innocent.

DOK

Yes it is. That is why the contract says an accident that the driver "should" have had knowledge about.

Very possible to just ding something and not realize it.

That "should" language seems to favor the company. They can terminate after someone forms the opinion the driver "should" have known he had the accident.

margaritaville

Some woman that lives in a multi-million dollar house in an "exclusive" neighborhood accused me once of driving a package car on to her driveway, and the package car dumped a big oil slick on her driveway.

Oddly enough, that day I was driving the LONGEST package car we have at the building, a 1300 I think it was. Thing is a BEAST.

When the center manager called me and asked for an explanation, I simply said, "Please ask her how I got a p1300 in to her driveway."

From what I heard, he went out there, and looked at the driveway, and realized I would have had to drive the package car through their decorative fountain to be able to get it to the spot where the oil slick was.

It's always guilty until proven innocent.

Could they fire you for not reporting something that doesnt involve "hitting something? I.e. oil leak, tire marks, etc. Or can they just get pissed at you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That "should" language seems to favor the company. They can terminate after someone forms the opinion the driver "should" have known he had the accident.

The "opinion" is normally not formed by just one person. The center manager and district safety person will jointly investigate before determining fault and discipline up to and including termination. The BA will then sit down with the center manager and discuss their investigation before deciding whether to grieve their findings and/or reduce the termination to an unpaid suspension.

Could they fire you for not reporting something that doesnt involve "hitting something? I.e. oil leak, tire marks, etc. Or can they just get :censored2: at you?

While they will probably not fire you they would most likely give you a few unpaid days off, especially if the damage is significant.

We had a driver back in to a portable basketball goal/net. A kid that lived there told him not to worry about it so he didn't tell anyone. Kid's father came home, saw the damage, called UPS. Driver earned himself a 3 day unpaid vacation.