Thank you fedex for firing me for asking directions

Ricochet1a

I do have first hand knowledge of an Express Courier who was fired, obtained an attorney, fought it out with FedEx legal then GOT THEIR JOB back.

However....

This employee wouldn't speak a WORD about what happened afterward. It is understood by those with half a brain that a non-disclosure agreement was signed as part of the agreement to reinstate employment. I was NEVER able to confirm if this employee received back wages for the time they were out (I'm presuming so - but can't be absolutely sure). Also never able to confirm if their legal expenses were covered by Express as condition for an out-of-court settlement. This employee was a LONG TIME career wage employee - and was VERY informed as to the operating methods of Express. This employee's knowledge base in regards to Express aided IMMENSELY in getting their employment reinstated.

So terminated wage employees can indeed fight back and win. In this employee's case - he did have a lot to lose. If he was an entry level Courier, he would NOT have bothered fighting (he did confirm this). This employee WASN'T an 'agitator' or complainer of any sort - for all intent and purposes, he 'bled purple'. His termination was a result of a strict interpretation of a company policy which was misapplied to the facts of the incident.

HR (as made obvious by this posting), will approve a termination if they believe (and have legal sign off) that they can prevail in any potential wrongful termination suit. In the cases were the termination was reversed, the attorney for the terminated employee was able to show either lack of intent on the employee's part, or reasonable doubt as to the cause of the 'incident' which led to termination. Once the negotiations between the plaintiff's attorney and FedEx's team come up with these 'inconsistencies', then the talks about reinstatement and monies due start to occur.

Unless the poster is a LONG TIME Express employee, reinstatement ISN'T a goal - wrongful termination is the goal. This will happen out of court, with the employee getting some monies (compensatory damages) along with their legal fees being paid by FedEx. In addition, FedEx will push a non-disclosure statement, which will offer some additional monies to get agreement as to the terms within it.

Once a settlement is agreed to and a non-disclosure agreement is signed, NEVER speak of the incident again. You have nothing to gain and everything you got out of Express to lose. Take the money and run and don't look back....

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Today I had a 6th floor delivery at my first stop. Got in the elevator and hit "6".. nothing..the key wasn't turned for access. Send that elevator to 5. Next elevator, same. But I ride it to 5. WLk to 6th and it is locked in the stairwell. Walk back down to 5. Elevator down to 1. Code 01, customer security delay.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Code 3's out in the country are gonna be an even bigger problem in the future with inexperienced couriers trying to rely on GPS units they can't get a signal for and the fact that some of the new people can't even read maps.

Maps also become outdated and/or lost. FedEx is too cheap to supply curriers with updated/replacement versions.

DontThrowPackages

Couriers who beat the company and who are told to keep quite by the company are told so in order that the secret of how they won won't get passed on to the next guy in the event the same thing happens to a different employee.

bbsam

Staff member
Couriers who beat the company and who are told to keep quite by the company are told so in order that the secret of how they won won't get passed on to the next guy in the event the same thing happens to a different employee.
That's one way of looking at it. But nondisclosure agreements are very common in many legal dealings.

hypo hanna

Around here, country addresses are pretty easy to find. It's all grid system. Does Express have a policy dealing with requesting directions on route through the ppad?

MIT does not have a corporate policy. Left to local stations to make up whatever they like or as was my experience, not address it at all. I bet this is the situation with the OP.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Your postings here are really not much more than trolling.
That's rich coming from you. Is there a single thread on this forum started by MFE that you haven't posted your full agreement to regardless of content?
There's plenty of them unless you're too lazy to do a search. Go ahead, you don't seem to be too busy doing anything else. Besides this thread wasn't started by MFE.

whenIgetthere

...if I know before I get to a stop that its gonna be wrong I'll send dispatch a message to call, but you don't always know until you get there

Had one today, couldn't find the address way out on a dirt road, no houses/fences/gates/mailboxes marked, GPS showed it in the middle of a lake. The only living there I saw out there was a bear, so couldn't ask anyone. Sent message to dispatch and let them worry about. Got message to DEX03, took photo of the message, DEX03'd it, and then went on with my day.

Hate 150lb Packages

The only living there I saw out there was a bear
You made two mistakes, from Memphis' perspective. First, you assumed the bear did not order the parcel. Maybe he was expecting it, and now when he tries to track it, it shows his cave as a bad address. Your second mistake was that you overlooked the fact that the bear was a local. You should have approached him and simply asked for directions. Fred has given us clear directives at Ground for this type of situation. It is common knowledge that bears have poor eye sight, and run very poorly downhill. So the proper procedure, before dex 03, would be to approach the bear from behind, and a downhill slope, and ask if it was his package and/or if he knew where the proper recipient is. One other mistake you made was to assume that the house wasn't actually IN the middle of the lake. Perhaps a mermaid or other mystical creature needs their package. How does this make you feel?