The BS currently happening in my Preload.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I load on the boxline and yesterday my pt sup (a very nice guy I'll add) basically told me that my pph needed to hit 220 today since he was working with me or he's getting written up. Since I actually like the dude I busted my ass for him and clocked out right as soon as I got last cage.

Today I come in and I only had a 194 pph and we both discussed it and agreed that there wasnt anything different I could have done better and that in order for me to hit my pph I would need my last cage sooner. During the shift my ft sup came by and I overheard them talking. She pulled out her phone calculator and said I needed to be off the clock by 8:10.

At the end of the shift I'm in the same situation waiting around on last cage and literally everything is loaded. My pt sup looks at me and says "well just head on out then" I said OK and I clocked out right at 8:10 sharp. I came back to my pull because I forgot my hoodie and I see packages in my cages on the way to my pull. I just laughed to myself, grabbed my stuff, and left.

Wow am I glad I never went for the carrot when they offered me a pt sup position...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The faster you try to do it, the more mistakes you will eventually make.
That advice goes double when you start driving.
As long as you aren't creating misloads, keep doing what you're doing.

I load on the boxline and yesterday my pt sup (a very nice guy I'll add) basically told me that my pph needed to hit 220 today since he was working with me or he's getting written up. Since I actually like the dude I busted my ass for him and clocked out right as soon as I got last cage.

Today I come in and I only had a 194 pph and we both discussed it and agreed that there wasnt anything different I could have done better and that in order for me to hit my pph I would need my last cage sooner. During the shift my ft sup came by and I overheard them talking. She pulled out her phone calculator and said I needed to be off the clock by 8:10.

At the end of the shift I'm in the same situation waiting around on last cage and literally everything is loaded. My pt sup looks at me and says "well just head on out then" I said OK and I clocked out right at 8:10 sharp. I came back to my pull because I forgot my hoodie and I see packages in my cages on the way to my pull. I just laughed to myself, grabbed my stuff, and left.

Wow am I glad I never went for the carrot when they offered me a pt sup position...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why was your Sup working with you anyways?

J

jibbs

220 pph is so low, though....

but isn't that a production issue, and irrelevant as a result? I mean, if you hit your allotted time and load every truck by the time the sort is finished, how can you be held accountable if the PPH is lower than they think it should be? I mean, it's not your fault that the primary doesn't push packages through fast enough for you to hit your PPH but quickly enough for your trucks to be loaded in the time their computers have decided it should take.

idk, man, sounds like your supe's getting messed with and is just passing it on down the line. Maybe you guys just need to run your belts faster (or whatever it is you do with the cage thing faster)?

Do they give you a preload report or do they just tell you numbers verbally? I'd ask for the report if you're not getting it, because that will explain a bit more than just telling you your PPH was low.

[EDIT:

Why was your Sup working with you anyways?

bueno question. If it's because you're in training then yeah, you gotta do what they say to the best of your abilities for 30 working days (and should continue to do so afterwards, you just get way more leeway once you make it past probation.) Do whatever you can to hit that PPH but, again, if the packages are coming slowly then that's truly not your fault.

"I'm working as fast as I safely can."

Also, ^^that's^^ something you should remember verbatim for situations like these.

Last edited by a moderator:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
220 pph is so low, though....

but isn't that a production issue? I mean, if you hit your allotted time and load every truck by the time the sort is finished, how can you be held accountable if the PPH is lower than they think it should be? I mean, it's not your fault that the primary doesn't push packages through fast enough for you to hit your PPH but quickly enough for your trucks to be loaded in the time their computers have decided it should take.

idk, man, sounds like your supe's getting messed with and is just passing it on down the line. Maybe you guys just need to run your belts faster (or whatever it is you do with the cage thing faster)?
The OP never mentioned how long he's been preloading or if his area crashed a few times recently that put a target on his back.
The first post also doesn't state any issues with his preload quality either.
I'm out of the loop but 220 sounds low. 4 hours would equal 880 which would be like loading 4 easy P7's.
Unless the OP is only loading 3 cars, which would make the package car volumes more reasonable.

J

jibbs

The OP never mentioned how long he's been preloading or if his area crashed a few times recently that put a target on his back.
The first post also doesn't state any issues with his preload quality either.
I'm out of the loop but 220 sounds low. 4 hours would equal 880 which would be like loading 4 easy P7's.
Unless the OP is only loading 3 cars, which would make the package car volumes more reasonable.

Yeah, as I thought about it I figured he was either in training or a splitter but I didn't think about the 3-car pull.. but yeah, I don't know the situation completely. I edited my last posts a couple times to try and reflect that actually, lol.

Every center's different. A heavy pull in my center might be an easy day in the Alexandria hub, and hell on Earth for whatever center they have out in rural Western Maryland. It's all perspective, really.

moldsporh

220 isn't that hard to achieve....problem is when you stay for the air sort your average goes down.

Keep your area clean and he can shove his PPH IMO.

Don't fall into the buddy buddy trap.

220 is not a low PPH for a preloader. You have 5 hours to load a 3 or 4 package car set. The heaviest set on my boxline has about 1300 pieces a day. Maybe if you're trying to make seniority you should have your start time pushed back to make your numbers look better. At least until you gain seniority.

Daf

They have no business telling us how many pieces we have to do per hour. There are too many factors. Late loads? Heavier flow to other areas? Scanners not working properly? Just do your best and stay busy. They need to stop the harassment.

Over 70

I've always just looked around at the people around me and tried to stay middle of the pack.

Middle of the pack is your goal at UPS sadly. Just good enough. Minimal interaction with management and no additional work.

Honestly if you can just rarely misload and show up on time daily youre in the top tier probably.

If you're sweating your ass off, you're going to fast.

I must go fast enough because no one has ever said a word to me about my pace while loading or driving. It's a marathon not a sprint.

I did unload once and the sup kept telling me I wasn't going fast enough. I just pretended he wasn't there and kept working as fast as safely possible. I honestly don't know how people unloading don't get injured constantly at the pace they go.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
When I get the report every morning it says I load about 160 PPH lol.

Honestly I have like 1 misload every 3 weeks now so they don't ever say a word to me about it.

They have no business telling us how many pieces we have to do per hour. There are too many factors. Late loads? Heavier flow to other areas? Scanners not working properly? Just do your best and stay busy. They need to stop the harassment.
We have plenty of business telling you what your PPH should be. How is that harassment? Yeah things happen, but that's no excuse for daily service failure. You know what's expected of you when you get the job. It's not like you're being singled out. It's expected of everyone.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
We have plenty of business telling you what your PPH should be. How is that harassment? Yeah things happen, but that's no excuse for daily service failure. You know what's expected of you when you get the job. It's not like you're being singled out. It's expected of everyone.

Lol. Gtfo. No one is saying you should show up and drag ass. Show up and do the best you can (which most people do, im aware there is exceptions), and you shouldn't hear a peep.