The Concept of a Pension Should be Offensive to People

oldngray

nowhere special
Work smart, follow the methods, don’t spend frivolously and it will be fine.

This argument always makes me chuckle at 50+ I’m probably healthier than 90% of the office workers and sedentary style jobs of the other people I know. I take no prescriptions don’t have high blood pressure and I’m generally healthy. Already have 31 years in here.
I was that way until I was almost 50 when age started to suddenly catch up on me real quick.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Work smart, follow the methods, don’t spend frivolously and it will be fine.

This argument always makes me chuckle at 50+ I’m probably healthier than 90% of the office workers and sedentary style jobs of the other people I know. I take no prescriptions don’t have high blood pressure and I’m generally healthy. Already have 31 years in here.
You are the exception. Not the rule.

Thebrownblob

I was that way until I was almost 50 when age started to suddenly catch up on me real quick.
I understand sometimes genetics can be a bitch. Not much you can do about that. The majority of people my age who do not have a physical job have a lot more ailments than I do, and definitely take a lot more prescriptions than I do. Lots of things change when you go out for a beer with your buddies and instead of talking about the hot chicks they talk about their doctor visit or the pills They have to take every day L O L.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
I understand sometimes genetics can be a bitch. Not much you can do about that. The majority of people my age who do not have a physical job have a lot more ailments than I do, and definitely take a lot more prescriptions than I do. Lots of things change when you go out for a beer with your buddies and instead of talking about the hot shakes they talk about their doctor visit or the pills. They have to take every day L O L.
No doubt I was healthier than a sedentary office worker. It was the wear and tear on my body.

Thebrownblob

You are the exception. Not the rule.
Perhaps. But I was just at two retirement parties last weekend with the numerous other retirees, who were all pretty healthy when they retired. Not to say this job does not wear your body out. you have to work, smart, I’m simply saying every job has It’s set of health complications either due to stress or physical ailments. Working for The man is not all fun and games.

tourists24

We need a massive mentality shift in this company regarding the pension. The pension is the biggest bait-and-switch you can imagine. We should have been pushing for a strong 401(k) match YEARS ago. Instead, the ignorant working majority in this company for generations have decided they would rather work until they're 65 in order to collect some measly corporate welfare check, rather than take proactive charge of their financial life and invest heavily in their 30's. Thanks to our culture of financial irresponsibility at UPS, workers are left having to contribute the full amount of $23,000 to their 401k's in 2024.
Have you brought this up at contract proposal time? This is where negotiators get their starting point when it comes time to sit down at the table.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Perhaps. But I was just at two retirement parties last weekend with the numerous other retirees, who were all pretty healthy when they retired. Not to say this job does not wear your body out. you have to work, smart, I’m simply saying every job has It’s set of health complications either due to stress or physical ailments. Working for The man is not all fun and games.
My mom's family, black lung from coal mines.
My dad's family, cancer from chemical plants.
Me? 30 years in brown and I never got a hang nail. Been out 15 peaks. But, I do get up twice a night now a take a leak.
It can all change for any of us in a heartbeat.

Over70irregs

Well show me who those people are? Once you get past 50 and don’t either go to work out all the time or have a job like ours you start to have health problems. I have exactly none. If you’re talking about money, most people have a spending problem not an income problem. We make far better than average wages and benefits.
Health problems are rampant as you age. Most people have in my opinion a time value compensation problem. It is systemic.

Over70irregs

To go with the company "matching" 401K is the biggest bait and switch.
The next generation will "remember "when the company ""used" to match.
Your retirement will be all on you. Be careful. Sometimes you get what you ask for.
They will rug pull a company match. I suggest a pension/401k match differential……

tourists24

He did, At least on Brown café.
hopefully he did. In all honesty I had never even thought of that for a pension solution, but it would need to be sold to the members big time for it to be considered. I'm glad I get my pension check now and I do have a decent 401k savings to boot, but I can see the argument for this.

Thebrownblob

hopefully he did. In all honesty I had never even thought of that for a pension solution, but it would need to be sold to the members big time for it to be considered. I'm glad I get my pension check now and I do have a decent 401k savings to boot, but I can see the argument for this.
In theory, it’s a good argument. In practice it breakdown for many reasons. The biggest reason being the majority of people just won’t put any effort into it. It is what it is. A pension is guaranteed income for the rest of your life.

undies

Started at 18 and will be able to retire in 11 years...I'll be 51. Lots of drivers are leaving as soon as they are eligible these days, just cannot wait to get out!

tourists24

Started at 18 and will be able to retire in 11 years...I'll be 51. Lots of drivers are leaving as soon as they are eligible these days, just cannot wait to get out!
It's an awesome feeling for sure. The UPS dreams never leave though lol; but you do wake up and grin.

Brown Down

While in theory you are right but one look in the parking lot tells you the vast majority have no clue how or why to save. Thus a match is pointless. Although that's why the company wants it. A match of nothing is nothing.

52 was when I got lucky.
Not a day more.
That's badass. I have a problem with longevity in my family. No men die before 90. Even my uncle died on his 90th birthday, but he made it. I can walk at 55, but an extra 5 years it makes a huge difference in my pension, I'll probably go to 60, but it's a lot easier in feeder.