The customers are getting restless........

HedleyLamarr

This is going to be one of those ring the doorbell and run weeks. Don't wanna hear it! It's going to be crazy enough without having costumers yelling at me.

Mutineer

This is going to be one of those ring the doorbell and run weeks. Don't wanna hear it! It's going to be crazy enough without having costumers yelling at me.
When I have a day that I don't want to interact with people (almost every day), I put my thumb over the doorbell as if I rang it. That way, if I am being recorded on video and I am challenged, it looks like I pushed the doorbell and it simply didn't work or I didn't push hard enough. If I am chastised for not pushing hard enough, I say "I didn't want to break the button."

If I go to a stop and I hear a dog bark, I don't make any attempt to announce my presence. If I am challenged as to why I didn't knock or ring, I simply say "I rang the hairy-doorbell" or, "maybe you didn't hear it because your dog was barking." If these answers are unsatisfactory I say that "I didn't want to upset your dog any further."

rod

Retired 22 years
For driver release we were instructed to knock- open the door and set the package inside while yelling "UPS". I'm sure now days you would get shot doing that.

dezguy

Waaaaaaaaaa! I want it now!!! Bunch of whiners who can’t see beyond their bubble.
To be fair, the customers are paying premium rates and not getting the service they expected. Granted, this was an unforseen circumstance but FedEx really should have had some sort of contingency plan for this.

I find it very hard to believe no one anywhere in the chain of command thought something like this wouldn't eventually happen.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
To be fair, the customers are paying premium rates and not getting the service they expected. Granted, this was an unforseen circumstance but FedEx really should have had some sort of contingency plan for this.

I find it very hard to believe no one anywhere in the chain of command thought something like this wouldn't eventually happen.
How do you plan for some thing that happens once in 30, 40 years? How can they plan for the day to come that only 25% of their workforce can make it in to work? I think they could have done better with communication to the customers and should have stopped accepting packages, but beyond that, what else could they have done differently? They couldn’t even really reroute planes because most of the country was dealing with the same problem.

dezguy

How do you plan for some thing that happens once in 30, 40 years? How can they plan for the day to come that only 25% of their workforce can make it in to work? I think they could have done better with communication to the customers and should have stopped accepting packages, but beyond that, what else could they have done differently? They couldn’t even really reroute planes because most of the country was dealing with the same problem.
Agreed but to continue to have flights scheduled to go to Memphis, after the first day weather shut the city down, plans should have been in place to have volume move through either another hub or have it moved to multiple ramps and trucked, if possible.

I had read Memphis only has something like 4 salt trucks and 6 snow plows for the entire city. A little foresight could have had some volume moving rather than virtually none.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Agreed but to continue to have flights scheduled to go to Memphis, after the first day weather shut the city down, plans should have been in place to have volume move through either another hub or have it moved to multiple ramps and trucked, if possible.

I had read Memphis only has something like 4 salt trucks and 6 snow plows for the entire city. A little foresight could have had some volume moving rather than virtually none.
I think they were trucking some freight. I saw that a major interstate between Memphis and Little Rock, AR, closed. Indy had problems with people getting to work also. Seems like it was all just a “perfect storm” that compounded daily.

It will be fine

When I have a day that I don't want to interact with people (almost every day), I put my thumb over the doorbell as if I rang it. That way, if I am being recorded on video and I am challenged, it looks like I pushed the doorbell and it simply didn't work or I didn't push hard enough. If I am chastised for not pushing hard enough, I say "I didn't want to break the button."

If I go to a stop and I hear a dog bark, I don't make any attempt to announce my presence. If I am challenged as to why I didn't knock or ring, I simply say "I rang the hairy-doorbell" or, "maybe you didn't hear it because your dog was barking." If these answers are unsatisfactory I say that "I didn't want to upset your dog any further."
I think you can get arrested “ringing the hairy doorbell” at a customer location.