The Ghetto

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He bid off a route on the other side of town...

To run a new one in his truck of brown...

In the ghetto...

And his mama cried...

Sent using a Potato

He steps off the curb, sees the car...

Tries to run but he don't get far...

And his mama cries....

As the crowd gathers round the angry brown man...

Face down in the street with a box in his hand....

In the ghetto.....

Sent using my Anus

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You must be desperate for a route.
No lots of people changed centers this bid and pushed me out of my old slot so it became take a crappy route nearby or drive twice as far to work every day to a center that was further away to take a WAD route in 2 days a week or cover there.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah, remember to lock up your wallet inside your cargo area. ID and credit cards and important things you keep in your wallet are more important that the cash. I never carried extra cash in my pocket but that might be a good idea. I just told them I didn't carry cash and they left me alone.

Overpaid Union Thug

Before bidding, look to see if the area is run by Democrats or Republicans. It goes without saying which one to stay the hell away from. :wink2:

All across the country it is is universal. The crappiest, poorest areas are run by one party. People never learn.

OK, sorry to get political. Flame suit on.

Ha ha! In my area it's a foregone conclusion that the ghettos are 99.99% Democrats. Well, the handful in each housing project that actually bothered to catch the bus to the polls anyway. LOL!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Get yourself a weapon.

UPS prohibits its employees from carrying weapons, but we arent prohibited from carrying flashlights. A 5-cell Mag Light is pretty much a war club with a lightbulb on one end, you could quite easily crush the skull of a mean dog (or mugger) with one. You can also get belt rings for them that function as a holster. Pepper spray might also be an option. For that matter...if the delivery area was truly that bad and if I were in a state that issued concealed handgun licenses, I might say to hell with UPS rules and pack heat. If the situation were ever so desperate that I had no choice but to use it, then staying alive would take priority over staying employed. I feel blessed to have the kind of route that doesnt force me to make that kind of choice.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mack Grant

So this bid I decided to stop covering (swing to some of you) and take a bid route. It's in the city and the resi stuff is in supposedly the worst area of the city.

I'd like to hear from some who have delivered in bad areas, what it's like, what you do differently on that type of route, etc.

One guy was telling me when he got around a group of scary people in the ghetto he'd start talking to himself, acting like he was arguing with the ground and people stayed away from him thinking he was crazy.
There are areas in my city that are some of the worst in the country. It's not as bad as you think though, the majority of the people are nice and don't bother you. Don't make a scene when you roll up to a stop, don't blow the horn etc. obviously you should rethink your DR practices as well. Get dispatch to trace the area so you deliver it before noon or at least before schools let out.
During peak season I was driving a split car in a real bad area and my helper was almost petrified. "Man,This is where people get robbed for real" is what he kept telling me, but I never had any problems.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ha ha! In my area it's a foregone conclusion that the ghettos are 99.99% Democrats. Well, the handful in each housing project that actually bothered to catch the bus to the polls anyway. LOL!

And of course they will illegally have Democratic literature and campaigners in polling locations. And all over the schools to indoctrinate the next generation of ghetto rats. The projects won't have a valid ID but will be sure to vote. More than once sometimes (they vote for relatives and friends when they go to vote).

BigBrown609

How did the robbery go down with your experience?
A guy approached me in a back ally where a loading dock was. I was standing around waiting for the business to come out with the pickup. He came up to me and acted like he had a gun in his pocket and told me to give him my money. I told him I didn't have any so he wanted my phone. I didn't wanna try him to see if he actually had a gun cause I have two kids at home more important than any phone, so I gave it to him. Tried to stop him once as he walked away and he motioned in his pocket again signaling a gun so I let him walk. Exactly a week later I saw him in the city, called the cops, and they arrested him. He's facing 20 years on first degree armed robbery. He has 6 other felonies on his record. Ups reimbursed me for my phone as well

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont know what to tell you. the management always tells me to get a new route. That doesnt solve the problem.
I was once approached behind my vehicle, and the crap was falling on me when I opened the door, and so I was already p**sed off, and this guy with jeans down to his knees says "give me some money", I said do you think if I had any friendin money to give away I would be doing this? He slid his hands into his pockets, the pants slid down further and 3 police cars pulled in screech, screech, screech and they all jumped out guns drawn. I delivered my 100 boxes and left. I guess you could say the cops look out for me, or was it luck? I dunno.

I was told not to make eye contact. I make sure I make eye contact. I treat everyone the same, we are all humans. Its the actions after that that separate us. Surprisingly you may make someones day. I recently got a scented air diffuser form someone in the hood who" just loves me coz im so nice" Not something I would ever buy but that was thoughtful. I have been here long enough that most of the young men were in diapers, so I am pretty much safe. I love dogs, and kids, so I have had contact with all of them for years. Even when they are trying to act all hoodie, they still smile and wave at me. Does this make me comfortable? Not for a moment. If a person gets on drugs they will kill their mother.

When the sign says go to the back, I do not, unless it is daylight, I know there are no loose dogs, and we have personally discussed this locale.

I find the young women to be worse than the young men. Apparently they have learned more respect from their parents than the girls do. Show no fear, just like a dog they smell it. And the dogs, if they are out, or you think they might be out, use that horn. That is the only time I use it in the ghetto. These are usually not family pets, but guard dogs. We are told not to turn and run, I turn and run if I can make it. I have had more than one bounce off my side door, as I flung it shut. I could not have held off its brutality with a diad or a stern voice. I have lived with many large dogs, presently dobermans, and when they are guarding, you are in a heap smilet of big trouble, when you go in their territory.

I go early, or not at all. Never after dark.

I did get robbed in the broad daylight, but I saw no guns. I had my door open getting out a huge exercise machine. I was on the steps of the house, 6 ft from the back of my truck. 4 of them, 1 of me. I did get a warning letter for getting robbed.
B smart, safe, and deliver their packages. Ups does not want to deal with what is in them, and you have no protection if you turn one in. If its shipper release to a vacant house, just deliver it, you do yourself a favor.

MethodsMan

Get yourself a weapon.

UPS prohibits its employees from carrying weapons, but we arent prohibited from carrying flashlights. A 5-cell Mag Light is pretty much a war club with a lightbulb on one end, you could quite easily crush the skull of a mean dog (or mugger) with one. You can also get belt rings for them that function as a holster. Pepper spray might also be an option. For that matter...if the delivery area was truly that bad and if I were in a state that issued concealed handgun licenses, I might say to hell with UPS rules and pack heat. If the situation were ever so desperate that I had no choice but to use it, then staying alive would take priority over staying employed. I feel blessed to have the kind of route that doesnt force me to make that kind of choice.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The backwoods hillbilly routes cause more concern to me than the 'ghetto' ones.

JL 0513

On my route, I keep my $600 phone right in the cup holder on my dash alongside a Bluetooth speaker playing the media from my phone. The thought never crosses my my that it will be stolen. I leave it playing as I leave for every stop with the door left open. Even in business areas.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My boss got his stolen from the cup holder when he was training someone on my route. Poetic justice.
Actually he was not training, it was the blind leading the blind, still poetic.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I dont know what to tell you. the management always tells me to get a new route. That doesnt solve the problem.
I was once approached behind my vehicle, and the crap was falling on me when I opened the door, and so I was already p**sed off, and this guy with jeans down to his knees says "give me some money", I said do you think if I had any friendin money to give away I would be doing this? He slid his hands into his pockets, the pants slid down further and 3 police cars pulled in screech, screech, screech and they all jumped out guns drawn. I delivered my 100 boxes and left. I guess you could say the cops look out for me, or was it luck? I dunno.

I was told not to make eye contact. I make sure I make eye contact. I treat everyone the same, we are all humans. Its the actions after that that separate us. Surprisingly you may make someones day. I recently got a scented air diffuser form someone in the hood who" just loves me coz im so nice" Not something I would ever buy but that was thoughtful. I have been here long enough that most of the young men were in diapers, so I am pretty much safe. I love dogs, and kids, so I have had contact with all of them for years. Even when they are trying to act all hoodie, they still smile and wave at me. Does this make me comfortable? Not for a moment. If a person gets on drugs they will kill their mother.

When the sign says go to the back, I do not, unless it is daylight, I know there are no loose dogs, and we have personally discussed this locale.

I find the young women to be worse than the young men. Apparently they have learned more respect from their parents than the girls do. Show no fear, just like a dog they smell it. And the dogs, if they are out, or you think they might be out, use that horn. That is the only time I use it in the ghetto. These are usually not family pets, but guard dogs. We are told not to turn and run, I turn and run if I can make it. I have had more than one bounce off my side door, as I flung it shut. I could not have held off its brutality with a diad or a stern voice. I have lived with many large dogs, presently dobermans, and when they are guarding, you are in a heap smilet of big trouble, when you go in their territory.

I go early, or not at all. Never after dark.

I did get robbed in the broad daylight, but I saw no guns. I had my door open getting out a huge exercise machine. I was on the steps of the house, 6 ft from the back of my truck. 4 of them, 1 of me. I did get a warning letter for getting robbed.
B smart, safe, and deliver their packages. Ups does not want to deal with what is in them, and you have no protection if you turn one in. If its shipper release to a vacant house, just deliver it, you do yourself a favor.
A warning letter for being robbed?? Another bs move by management!

MAKAVELI

Before bidding, look to see if the area is run by Democrats or Republicans. It goes without saying which one to stay the hell away from. :wink2:

All across the country it is is universal. The crappiest, poorest areas are run by one party. People never learn.

OK, sorry to get political. Flame suit on.
I hope that suit can take a bomb. You do know there aren't very many republican run major cities. It's hilarious that republicans are so quick to point out political affiliation as to the reason to violence in our inner cities. Try educating yourselves on the actual reasons.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/a...ban-rural-divide-is-splitting-america/265686/

The only major cities that voted Republican in the 2012 presidential election were Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Fort Worth, and Salt Lake City. With its dominant Mormon population, Mitt Romney was a lock in the Utah capital; Phoenix nearly voted for Obama. After that, the largest urban centers to tilt Republican included Wichita, Lincoln, Neb., and Boise.

This divide between blue city and red countryside has been growing for some time. Since 1984, more and more of America's major cities have voted blue each year, culminating in 2012, when 27 out of the nation's 30 most populous cities voted Democratic. According to Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections and The New York Times, the 2012 election marked the fourth time in the last five federal election cycles that voters shifted away from the party of the sitting president. Despite that constant churn, one part of the electoral map has become a crystal clear constant. Cities, year by year, have become drenched in more blue. Everywhere else is that much more red.

ManInBrown

You just don't show any fear. Ghetto people are like sharks they can smell blood in the water. Walk past give a little bit of eye contact and a head nod. Don't seem afraid, they salivate over that.

This advice is spot on. Walk around with your head up like you own the world. If you're scared they will know it. Fear is easily detectable. You do that and you will probably feel comfortable after a week or two

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A warning letter for being robbed?? Another bs move by management!
Actually it was for not securing my vehicle. But I had the door open, 1/4 of the way, as the box was falling apart, and it took all I had to get it on the back bumper. I had a pos truck that day, someone wrecked mine while I was on vaca. It was 140 pds. I went to see if they had a "lifting device" since I did not, and none available when I left building. The guy was going to get his dolly and while not "guarding" the back door, I was at the door. If I had been on the truck, I still would have let them on. I mean come on, strength in numbers. 4 big healthy young men, and me WWJD.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I hope that suit can take a bomb. You do know there aren't very many republican run major cities. It's hilarious that republicans are so quick to point out political affiliation as to the reason to violence in our inner cities. Try educating yourselves on the actual reasons.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/a...ban-rural-divide-is-splitting-america/265686/

The only major cities that voted Republican in the 2012 presidential election were Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Fort Worth, and Salt Lake City. With its dominant Mormon population, Mitt Romney was a lock in the Utah capital; Phoenix nearly voted for Obama. After that, the largest urban centers to tilt Republican included Wichita, Lincoln, Neb., and Boise.

This divide between blue city and red countryside has been growing for some time. Since 1984, more and more of America's major cities have voted blue each year, culminating in 2012, when 27 out of the nation's 30 most populous cities voted Democratic. According to Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections and The New York Times, the 2012 election marked the fourth time in the last five federal election cycles that voters shifted away from the party of the sitting president. Despite that constant churn, one part of the electoral map has become a crystal clear constant. Cities, year by year, have become drenched in more blue. Everywhere else is that much more red.
Mine has been run by dems for 50 yrs, as has detroit. Dont know if there is a correlation, but Im thinking there might be........

Actually it was for not securing my vehicle. But I had the door open, 1/4 of the way, as the box was falling apart, and it took all I had to get it on the back bumper. I had a pos truck that day, someone wrecked mine while I was on vaca. It was 140 pds. I went to see if they had a "lifting device" since I did not, and none available when I left building. The guy was going to get his dolly and while not "guarding" the back door, I was at the door. If I had been on the truck, I still would have let them on. I mean come on, strength in numbers. 4 big healthy young men, and me WWJD.
No match for toonertoo!